All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. ...I lost a draft:-(. The 1939 version of RAFFLES that was shown just recently was referred to by Maltin as a near shot by shot remake of the 1930 version. There are two silent versions of RAFFLES I've found listed, also 1919 and 1927 IIRC...Perhaps they took different approaches that the two sound versions, but anyway that's 3 versions in less than 15 years!!!!! I believe that, in the pre-TV era, studios paid little attention to old films. I think that many more old films would be lost films now if not for: (1) Television coming along and providing a market for these older films (2) dedicated film fans looking to save old films, with the studios themselves offering no help.
  3. moviecollector has a database of all the films TCM has shown someone will have a link.
  4. scsu1975

NOW PLAYING (100 YEARS AGO)

From April 20-23, 1919, the Poli featured Her Code of Honor, starring Florence Reed in the dual role of Helen and Alice. Released in March of 1919, the film was six reels, and is presumed lost. It was very difficult to locate stills for this one, but I did find some in newspaper ads. However, I may be placing the pictures out of context. Plot: Helen, an art student, is studying in Paris when she falls in love with Jacques. She then discovers Jacques is married. Dejected, she turns to Tom Davis, another American art student. Then Davis inherits a fortune and returns to America. Years go by, and Davis now lives on a Long Island Estate with young Alice, who is the image of Helen. Alice believes Davis is her father. Alice falls in love with Eugene La Salle, and the two have an affair. La Salle goes abroad for a few months, and upon returning, learns that Alice is pregnant. He agrees to marry her. At the engagement party, one of the guests suggests a marriage rehearsal. Eugene obliges by taking a ring from his finger. Alice stares at the ring in horror and runs upstairs. Earlier, Davis had told Alice that he was not her father; her real father was Jacques. In her deathbed note, Helen had written that a certain ring would identify Jacques or someone related to him. Alice now realizes that Eugene must be Jacques son. She tells Eugene that she is his half-sister. Alice decides the only honorable way out is for Eugene to shoot her. But before he pulls the trigger, Eugene suspects there is some mistake. He tells Alice that Jacques was only his step-father; he had never known his actual father. With the specter of incest removed, the two lovers find happiness. The film’s working title was The Call of the Heart, but it was changed before its release. Reed, primarily a stage actress, reviewed good reviews for her work. “If Miss Reed gave more generously of her time to the studio,” wrote one critic, “she would become a screen figure of tremendous account. … It is the actress herself who makes “Her Code of Honor” the powerful thing it is. Without her it would be the old worn-out story, done a hundred times before, and likely to be done a hundred times in the future.” The Los Angeles Times wrote “in this production, she excels many of her past efforts, playing two distinct roles and scoring heavily. Miss Reed’s gowns, too, demand attention.” Theater managers were also enthused with the big business the film brought in. Harry Crandall, who managed Crandall’s Theatre in Washington, D.C., wrote that the film was playing to capacity crowds. The Harding Brothers, who ran the Liberty Theatre in Kansas City, stated “we ran Florence Reed in ‘Her Code of Honor’ all week. The first three days the weather was stormy, but even under these conditions we played this attraction to capacity business.” “Receipts 25 per cent over normal. Miss Reed without doubt has proved herself one of filmland’s biggest stars,” came word from the Tivoli Theatre in San Francisco. “The climax is clever and strong, and when we show we expect to have some of the handles of the seats squeezed off, for the suspense makes you grip your seat,” chimed in the Washington Theatre in Dallas. As for the other acts on the Poli bill, “Leipsig, the Mysterious” did card tricks. Ed Gringas was “a powerful fellow who juggled cannonballs and things.” Also included was a two-reeler entitled Beresford of the Baboons, which was a spoof of Tarzan. Olin “Make me a Sergeant in charge of the booze” Howland plays Beresford, the missing son of the Earl of Swank. He has been raised by baboons and lions, and has chickens which lay square eggs. He also has a jungle taxi. Professor Choate, a famous English explorer looking for Beresford, arrives in the jungle, along with a charming girl named Cissy and a “silly a s s” named Lord Archy (also played by Howland). When Beresford and Cissy meet, it is love at first sight. The players have “many hazardous, ridiculous experiences with Beresford and the animals.” Lord Archy is so distraught at losing Cissy that he commits suicide. Apparently no one cares. James Montgomery Flagg, who wrote the script, sent a telegram to The New York Tribune in February of 1919, promoting the film at the Strand Theatre: In eighteen hundred and eighty blank a yacht belonging to Earl of Swank was shipwrecked on a desert isle, and the Earl and his wife and their baby chile were washed up on the sandy beach; and the baby, of course, let out a screech. They grabbed the kid and he’s here to-day a man brought up in the baboon way. This will be easy to understand if Sunday you will go to the Strand.
  5. Is there anything dishonest and it illegal that trump has not done? His vulgar vilification of the legal political opposition and American patriotic citizens in this ad is truly endemic of his low- life character.
  6. jakeem

Actress Nancy Gates (1926-2019)

Here's a film short that Gates did when she was a contract player at RKO. Her accompanists were Phil Ohman and Norman Burlingame.
  7. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Josh Greenman‏Verified account@joshgreenman Josh Greenman Retweeted Donald J. Trump Read the report.
  8. Princess of Tap

George Conway Speaks Up

Apparently Trump doesn't take criticism very well.
  9. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account@realDonaldTrump The Fake News Media is doing everything possible to stir up and anger the pols and as many people as possible seldom mentioning the fact that the Mueller Report had as its principle conclusion the fact that there was NO COLLUSION WITH RUSSIA. The Russia Hoax is dead! 8:02 AM - 20 Apr 2019
  10. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

West Wing Reports‏Verified account@WestWingReport 1) Mueller report: the most important political document of our time 2) Folks are focused on their partisan interpretation 3) But not on the central issue: a foreign power attacked us 4) The C-in-C still has not a) admitted Russia's attack or b) told us what he's doing about it
  11. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account@realDonaldTrump Despite the fact that the Mueller Report should not have been authorized in the first place & was written as nastily as possible by 13 (18) Angry Democrats who were true Trump Haters, including highly conflicted Bob Mueller himself, the end result is No Collusion, No Obstruction! 7:53 AM - 20 Apr 2019
  12. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

HuffPost‏Verified account@HuffPost CNN’s Chris Cuomo suggested that Attorney General William Barr's alleged plan to let the Mueller report "get lost in our vacations and holy days" had backfired. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/chris-cuomo-mueller-report-timing-perfect_n_5cbadb4be4b06605e3eee83a?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067
  13. Princess of Tap

Trump vs. the Press/Media

All I can say about this, is that Michelle Wolf is no liar.
  14. lavenderblue19

Name the pre-1970 film

Yes, Female on The Beach, Joan Crawford, Jeff Chandler, Jan Sterling. Good work Star, your thread.
  15. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Shareblue Media‏Verified account@Shareblue Attorney General William Barr is facing multiple calls from Democratic lawmakers to resign https://shareblue.com/members-of-congress-demand-barrs-resignation-after-he-outright-lied/
  16. ...The earlier version and Gloria's version had the same director.
  17. ...I didn't write " On ' in my post. What are you referring to?
  18. Today
  19. Walter L.

Staying here?

...I lost a draft:-(. I went to the site for a San Francisco Backlot chapter that she mentioned in her post and it was gone, there was just an offering for sale of the domain. I presume she gave it up. I assume, then, that she either does not want new members or never started an SF Bay chapter. So...is there any point to me continuing my member ship, if there is no chapter here? And if I don't want to continue, do I have to do something to stop them from charging my card?
  20. TikiSoo

I Just Watched...

Thank you for your impressions of The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, Miss W. While I often like Tennessee Williams, I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of this one. I often don't care for Williams' depictions of women either, A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE comes to mind. Williams' women are sometimes needy & weak, but that's a charactorization for his story. You can't always like the charactors or agree with their motivations. (Shelly Winters charactors in Lolita or Patch of Blue comes to mind) My opinion is the story is just "dated", in the same way GUESS WHOS COMING TO DINNER is dated; the theme of the story just isn't relevant anymore. This is just another honest look at the past, it's mores & how far we have come. I suppose that's the theme of the story-empty vanity. I think modern women, often having to take charge of their lives just don't have any interest in a spoiled, infantile woman. We think of all WE could do with Leigh's beauty, health, dough in such an exotic location and therefore are bored & disgusted by her vapidity. Although several of Williams' stories are among my favorites- Suddenly Last Summer Cat On A Hot Tin Roof The Rose Tattoo Sweet Bird Of Youth So don't write off Tennessee Williams altogether. He had a LOT to say & write about, you can't expect anyone to be perfect (except Billy Wilder)
  21. Walter L.

Staying here?

...The post that Sage linked to is a different post from the one that is on the top of the Chapters line. I posted on the line you linked to, but it did not bump the line up anywhere I saw. Thank you, and thank you, Calvin, for the info on not needing to pay to be here. I assumed that was the case, but I phrased the question carefully. In my experience TCM has always been only on a higher, more expensive, cable tier:-(.
  22. CoraSmith

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films from 1996

A Summer’s Tale, Éric Rohmer, France Drifting Clouds, Aki Kaurismäki, Finland Earth, Julio Medem, Spain Kolya, Jan Sverak, Czech Republic Tesis, Alejandro Amenábar, Spain Irma Vep, Olivier Assayas, France Alles Moet Weg, Jan Verheyen, Belgium When the Cat’s Away, Cédric Klapisch, France The Apartment, Gilles Mimouni, France La Promesse, Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne, Belgium
  23. ...Yes, I had already noticed that TCM will show MPAA-era films that are R-rated (Although, in fact, they don't show those ratings on-screen, they use the different TV ratings system that the US has.) and I knew that The Exorcist is R-rated, and I've seen it. I meant that it is a " stronger " R-rated film that what appears to be TCM's Standards & Practices allows. Have they ever shown it?
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us