All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. lavenderblue19

Retro Trivia

A very handsome actor
  3. lavenderblue19

Movie Trivia

Thanks Star. From accounts from directors and actors Judy Holliday worked with not only a great talent but she was a brilliant woman. Too bad she fell that stinker Peter Lawford. Very interesting bit of trivia you posted about next In a very famous classic, much loved film, an actor plays a role of a character not just in the film but in the film a real life event is happening and he plays the role during the real life event that is in the film. Actor and the film ??
  4. LawrenceA

Faust (1926)

Faust is a great silent movie. One of Murnau's best, as well as Jannings. There's nothing "woke" or "film school" about it. Plus, it fits in with October, and the other Halloween-style programming. In fact, I don't see any other films scheduled for Silent Sunday for the rest of the year that suggest the idea that the programming is being changed substantially from what it has been previously
  5. speedracer5

Somewhat Off-Topic: What have you been reading lately?

Nothing says "action figure" like Fred Mertz. Lol. It doesn't really look like Fred. It kind of looks like Ted Knight in clothes that are too big for him. What is that thing at his feet? A hat? An ice pack? The Ethel doesn't really look like her either. She kind of looks like Georgia Engel. Maybe the doll designers went on a big binge of The Mary Tyler Moore Show before designing these. The Lucy and Ricky aren't too bad. The Mattel ones are better.
  6. Bogie56

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

VP Pence holds a Press Conference in Turkey announcing that through the genius of Donal Trump, Turkey has agreed to a cease fire of 120 hours. He soft-peddled that this is contingent on the Kurds getting out of their own lands so that Turkey can safely occupy newly stolen territory along the border. Little wonder Turkey agreed!
  7. MovieCollectorOH

Comcast is the devil!!!

When they installed my dish, back around 2015 or 2016 I think off the top of my head, there was just the Slimline-3, that is what I got. That picks up signals from three different satellites. I take it you originally had a different dish altogether, one of the ones shown in their obsolete category? https://www.solidsignal.com/t.asp?tag=what-directv-dish-do-i-have
  8. I'd buy a Fred Mertz action figure. And display it prominently in my home for others to enjoy. Edit: I was joking, but wouldn't you know it, there is such a thing. What child's face wouldn't light up at the sight of such a treasure under the tree on Christmas morn? -
  9. jamesjazzguitar

Marsha Hunt is 102 today

Marsha Hunt was in some fine films in many different genres. TCM will have her on today in the 1937 film Easy Living; she is cast as 'girl'.
  10. lavenderblue19

It's A Wonderful Town

The Best of Everything. From the moment the film begins over the credits there are aerial shots of NY, then people going and coming out of the subway, the Seagrams Bldg, Madison Avenue, etc. My favorite is when Hope Lange is walking and Schraffts is shown on the street. Haven't seen that restaurant in decades ( it closed years ago) and then the Museum of Natural History is also seen
  11. Brrrcold

First Movie SONG That Comes to Mind

The 'Iowa Corn Song', sung by Jean Arthur in A FOREIGN AFFAIR (1948). Next: a lullaby.
  12. calvinnme

Faust (1926)

Silent Sunday Nights is looking like it is going the same way of The Essentials, which Ava has turned into "Film School - You knew this was a bad idea". Apparently classic film is just not allowed to be "fun" anymore. Everything has to be "woke". I thought Faust was an ironic choice, and I couldn't help but think about Fred Astaire's speech in The Band Wagon (1953) when he tells off Jeff Cordova after their musical version of Faust lays an egg. Give me Jeff Cordova's room, please. Hello, Jeff. This is Tony. Now, don't say anything. Just listen. I'm here with all the kids, and we've come to a decision. We're not closing this show, if you can call it a show. We're going on. We're going to keep it on the road and redo it from top to bottom. It won't be a modern version of Faust... Pilgrim 's Progress, or the Book of Job in swing time. It'll be our show, the show we started out to do... the book the Martons wrote, with the songs you threw out. It'll have laughs and entertainment. You remember entertainment? Look, we'd love to have you with us, Jeff. But if you're not, it won't make any difference. We're going ahead just the same. We're going to put this thing across, aren't we, kids?
  13. speedracer5

Somewhat Off-Topic: What have you been reading lately?

They released an additional set of Lucy and Ethel working at the chocolate factory. So I suppose if I had both sets, I'd have 2 Lucy Chocolate Factory dolls. I'm not a big doll person either, and I especially dislike the Mattel sets where all the dolls look like Barbie and Ken wearing costumes. I appreciated that they actually made the dolls look like the people they're supposed to represent. I really liked the Lucy ones however, and there are quite a few that I'm missing. I really want the one of Lucy with her "Jacques Marcell aka Ricky Ricardo original." As more time goes on, the more expensive these dolls get. With the exception of only a couple of my dolls, most of them I got when they were new. The Vitameatavegamin doll I got in '98 when I was in 9th grade. That was the first doll of the series. There is an entire collection of I Love Lucy Christmas dolls that I do not have--each cast member is packaged individually, dressed as Santa. These dolls are very expensive, especially the Fred Mertz one. I don't know if I'll ever have those. Now I have my eye on 90210 dolls and those are more expensive than Lucy. So I don't know if that'll ever happen. I wish I had gotten those dolls back in elementary school when they were out originally. My problem with library books is that I take too long to read them and end up having to return them unread or partially read. I'm cruising through Tori Spelling's autobiography though. I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. Many of my I Love Lucy books are from the 90s and others are ones that I've just acquired throughout the years of collecting. I haven't purchased any Lucy books for a long time however. There haven't been any good ones out for a long time. I think the last one I got was the Laughing With Lucy, Madelyn Pugh's (sole female I Love Lucy writer) autobiography. There is also a Vivian Vance biography (The Other Side of Ethel Mertz) that I don't have, and another one about Vance and William Frawley, Meet the Mertzes, that I don't have. I've read both however.
  14. lavenderblue19

Deep In the Heart of Texas - Susan Hayward ( Jane Froman) in With A Song In My Heart another song with a state in the title (skip NY and CA)
  15. LonesomePolecat

It's A Wonderful Town

SUNDAY IN NEW YORK Including the title song because it's my fav song about NYC https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Tdj7m096s
  16. Dr. Somnambula

Why I love TCM

Oh, that 2000. Ben does a segment where he is no longer shocked by the age (youth) of the viewers. I don't love TCM. I like it a lot, but more specifically, the movies. If I could get many of those movies from a single On-Demand provider, guess what I would do? TCM should be a premium channel. All movies and no commercials, sounds just like TMC, The Movie Channel. Back in my day, TMC was one channel and we got $10/month for it. This was from my on-going career with cable TV and the year was 1984.
  17. filmnoirguy

Marsha Hunt is 102 today

Wonderful actress. 102 Birthday Cheers to her! She, along with Olivia de Havilland and Kirk Douglas, belong to the Actors Over 100 Club.
  18. Peebs

Name 10 Facts About This Actor

6. Joined a convent in Kansas to become a nun. She became ill, left the convent, and married Fred MacMurray the following year.
  19. NipkowDisc

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER ARCHIVES ... BULLITT ...

dam right! the mcqueenster knew what he was doing.
  20. LonesomePolecat

"Autumn in New York" Next Song with US state in title (not NY or CA)
  21. lavenderblue19

It's A Wonderful Town

Jeffrey, you hit a home run with this thread, right out of Yankee and Shea Stadium
  22. speedracer5

Why I love TCM

I like to go to the early bird special between 3p-5p M-Th and pay like 1/2 the price.
  23. Isn't that it in the center? Or are you saying there's an "Ethel" part to the set-that you don't have. That's a totally AWESOME book collection, several I'd like to read. I prefer reading library books and giving them back, storage is such an issue. Many of the oversize picture books I inherited from friend's estates. I've gifted many away, like Westerns. I don't like dolls very much, but they really captured the spirit of Lucy & the costumes. I'd buy any one of them, but I especially like the Lucy & Desi sets. There's something heartbreakingly Shakesperean about the huge success/huge failure of their lives.
  24. Peebs

Name a Celebrity - Name a Movie

Alan Ladd was in "Duffy's Tavern" with Paulette Goddard
  25. Terrence1

Name the comedy

Bowery Bombshell Next: Connie Gilchrist
  26. NipkowDisc

Ron Ely

what a a terrible loss for the man, I hope he keeps in mind that millions love him as perhaps the best actor to ever play tarzan.
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us