All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Dargo

Hottest Teen Idols

Here might be THE preeminent teen idol in the last photo ever taken of him... (...I mean, even many teenagers today, over sixty years after his death, know young Mr. Dean's name and that he's come to represent the notion of teenage rebellion)
  3. TopBilled

Actor/Movie Association Game

Ruby Keeler
  4. rayban

Hottest Teen Idols

No, it's Gene Pitney -
  5. TopBilled

Bette Davis' daughter talks about witchcraft

I think it's a very interesting family to discuss. Of course we wouldn't know about half this stuff if B.D. hadn't written those books, or posted the lectures where she occasionally still references her mother. She's made it more public than it might otherwise have been. In the 1985 interview, the way she talks about the Crawfords, I get the sense she and Christina had become friendly. But she goes out of her way to say her book is different from Christina's. I think she might have felt a kinship with Christina. A shared struggle? They were two daughters dealing with powerful Hollywood mothers. Mothers that did not get along. Where this becomes more fascinating, in my opinion, is how B.D. took a much more divergent path. Becoming a born again Christian took her to a new place, far removed from the world of her childhood. I think she has at least one more good book in her, if she chooses to write it. That would be the book where she reconciles her faith with whether or not she will see her mother again in the afterlife. If she feels her mother was a witch, then I suppose she won't see her mother again.
  6. Princess of Tap

First Movie SONG That Comes to Mind

"Get Happy"--Judy sang it in Summer Stock. Next: A very sad song sung by a man
  7. Michael Rennie

Hottest Teen Idols

Are you sure that isn't a picture of John-Boy Walton?
  8. rayban

Hottest Teen Idols

For me, it was - and will always be - Gene Pitney -
  9. Princess of Tap

42nd Street
  10. Princess of Tap

Not to get into a long discussion about Bette's family, but they seem to have been rather well-adjusted until the Harvard educated father, I believe he was a lawyer, ran off with the secretary and left his family almost penniless. And the mother had to struggle to support and educate her two daughters.
  11. TopBilled

Bebe Daniels
  12. TopBilled

I was aware that B.D. was named after her aunt, referred to by the family as Aunt Bobbie. Also B.D. had an adopted sister, Margot Merrill, who had some sort of incapacity (euphemism) and was put into a facility, back when people with certain handicaps were not as mainstreamed as they are now. I am not sure if the adopted sister is still alive, but she would have been younger than B.D. B.D.'s adoptive brother Michael Merrill is still around, I think...but he broke off contact with her after the first book was published. Michael and Bette's secretary/assistant were the inheritors of Bette's estate. Basically, the secretary became a substitute daughter, when Bette disowned B.D. Generational curses can refer to any number of things. In the interview I posted, from 1985, B.D. discusses her maternal grandmother and problems that occurred between the grandmother and Bette. So there were issues down the line in this family. But what family doesn't have generational conflicts. Yeah?
  13. Princess of Tap

The Maltese Falcon (1931)
  14. Royals reportedly want Harry and Meghan ‘as far away as possible’ With Meghan Markle due to give birth any day, a new report says the British royal family is scrambling to try to contain her popularity amid worries she could become “bigger than [Princess] Diana.” And so they’ve determined to keep her and Prince Harry as far away as possible from the media and also from Prince William, after a split between the brothers and spats involving their wives. “There have been various ideas floated for them to take on a job abroad, such as governor-general of Australia or Canada, wherever,” a palace source told The Sunday Times of London. But sending the couple to Canada was “mooted, then booted” given that Meghan spent seven years there and would be close to the US and tabloid coverage, according to the story. Shipping Harry to Australia was also nixed, it said. *************************************************** Maybe Canada and Australia will finally see what the royals think of them. It's where they send people to be forgotten.
  15. My posts are not to convince you, but to educate others who may read this thread.
  16. Looney

Noir Alley

I am going to be late to the party on this one. Both times I went to watch it my internet went out and cut me off of Sling TV. This morning I was right in the middle of Eddie's Intro when it happened. Way to go TECHNOLOGY!!!!!
  17. Princess of Tap

Who was in all 5 films?

Sorry to say that I don't have an argumentative bone in my body. LMREO All I'm going to say is I love a challenge and that's what keeps me going when I want to have some fun.
  18. TheCid

Hottest Teen Idols

Have seen some of Sandra Dee's movies and that is how I reached the conclusion that I do not like her or the manner in which she portrayed her roles.
  19. TopBilled

Who was in all 5 films?

I am trying not to get into an argument with you. I had edited my previous post before I clicked Submit Reply. It was much harsher. I feel like you are not flexible with some of these games and it annoys me. I do like a lot of your posting, but I find it unacceptable when you come on to a thread and tell others how to post. It doesn't feel right to me. I don't see why you chose to disrupt this game. If you didn't want to play this round, why not just sit out quietly? I don't feel I have done anything wrong. As I said, I find it counterproductive for games to get stuck for weeks. And I find it counterproductive to have a protracted argument about this. I gave clues to help move the game along. It was hardly a crime.
  20. Princess of Tap

*I don't know if you're aware that Bette had a sister who was mentally ill and in and out of institutions. Her name was Barbara Davis. BD is named after her. Possibly, BD could be referring to that as a generational curse. At any rate, Religious audios and videos often refer to generational curses. It's Not Unusual to see this kind of material.
  21. TheCid

2020 Election

Article below by Meg Kinard re: Dem campaigning in S.C. is interesting. It "runs through [black] S.C. churches." Of course it is an example of how the majority of Dems in S.C. are black and that is where the candidates will win or lose. This year could be different in that if there is no Republican presidential primary, many Republicans and Independents may very well vote in the Dem primary. As well as those Dems who frequently vote in the GOP primary when the Dem one is a done deal. https://www.apnews.com/e3cd6d9a08c94ca59a1a427e6517cfd2
  22. Wasting your breath/time typing with me.... Go For It!!!!!
  23. TheCid

2020 Election

The below article pretty well sums up the Mueller report and the "impeachment" question. It won't work. The report is too vague, too confusing and too complex for the majority of people who will vote in 2020. Every Republican in Congress will endorse Trump and attack the Mueller report and impeachment. More importantly it will rile up the Trump base and the GOP and they will dominate the elections in 2020. Count on it. The Dems have nothing to offer to counter that - at least not yet. Once again the key is the Electoral College and that is by state vote, not by House districts. As for Trump, he has successfully avoided responsibility for any of his actions since he was born. It will not change now. Once re-elected he will be uncontrollable. He has already learned the power of executive actions, even when some fail. He has also learned about interim appointments for cabinet and other positions thereby avoiding Senate confirmation. Calvin Woodward, AP, on "numb to Russia probe?" https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article229475684.html
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us