All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. The 1996 Hong Kong Film Award for Best Picture went to … Comrades: Almost a Love Story (1996) Peter Chan, Hong Kong
  3. I double checked the year of release and found that these belong in 1995. I thought I would mention them anyway. China’s Hundred Flowers Award for Best Picture of 1995/96 and the winner of China’s Golden Rooster Award for Best Picture of 1996 was …… Red Cherry (1995) Daying Ye, China
  4. Bogie56

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

I've now listened to several GOP pundits say that no, it is not right for a campaign to take a thing of value from a (hostile) foreign government and also frown upon the obstruction issues surrounding Trump. They then segue into the argument that this will be a (tough) decision for democrats to make on whether or not to go down the road of impeachment. A tough decision for democrats. What about a tough decision for republicans as well? Have they turned in their American citizenship cards? I guess that is a rhetorical question. This should be a decision for ALL of them to make based on facts. And there is no equivalency with Bill Clinton here other than lying to congress which in Bill's case was an extra-martial affair. Trump is a criminal national security danger and the GOP know that as well.
  5. Walter L.

Hey, Canadians...

...That reminds me of an American-produced film about Canadians that I caught a bit of on AMC in the 90s. It was a war film, a d at one point a military character said this immortal ine or similar to another: military: " Captain, no!!!!! They're just a bunch of farm kids from the fields of Saskatchewan and Alberta!!! " Really getting literal/spelling it out! I later saw that that film was a product of the pre-Peatl Harbor time so that might explain why the film so played to Our Neighbor Up North. Weren't there a number of such films made in Hollywood pre-12/7/41? " A Yank In The RCAF " and suchlike.
  6. Any time you are selling "stuff" (Wine Club, Back Lot, Cruises, Books, DVDs, etc.) that is a commercial. "Promotions" aka "promos" (and I've worked at TV stations as a Creative Services Director -- TV-speak for "Promotion Director") are 30-60 second ads for upcoming episodes of existing or new shows. Make no mistake, TCM runs tons of commercials between films and the amount of time devoted to selling TCM products and events has increased substantially over the years. Look at any of your old recordings of films which were intro'ed by Robert Osborne, even 5 years ago, and you will see the difference between then and now. Conversely, when TCM airs an old movie trailer "promoting" a film which will be shown in a few days, that is a promo, not a commercial.
  7. LornaHansonForbes

" The Green Pastures ", Sunday

They can, and do, Show anything they like on TCM (copyright allowing) regardless of how racially dated the original material may be, and for the most part I’m fine with it. In the entire history of my watching TCM, and I’ve seen **a lot** of stuff, there’ve been only two movies that I felt they should either not show or edit them for genuinely hurtful racist content. (CHARLIE CHAN IN EGYPT and the ABRAHAM “number” in HOLIDAY INN Are the two offenders, just in case anyone is curious) THE GREEN PASTURES May be dated, and it may understandably make some viewers cringe, but I think it’s actually a lovely film – very well produced and intelligent And it’s heart is absolutely in the right place.. There was a radio adaptation done, I want to say with Paul Robeson, sometime in the 1940s and they played it on Christmas when my father and I were in the car. We both enjoyed it an awful lot, and my father and I rarely find common ground on much of anything.
  8. Det Jim McLeod

Name the comedy

There's That Woman Again Next-Jane Fonda
  9. Walter L.

" The Green Pastures ", Sunday

...I looked it up and saw that there were 2 59s TV versions, both for Hallmark Hall of Fame, 2 years apart in 1957 and 1959 IIRC. Which one do you have? Is it B&W? That's late enough that I guess, as a " special "show, it could be in color.
  10. TalkTalk123

M A G A >> WINNING! NO COLLUSION NO OBSTRUCTION

Did the Russians make Trump the front runner against Hillary or did the Clinton campaign and the corporate media do it? Did the evidence of Russian hacking and the link to Wiki Leaks get cross examined, or was the evidence denied by the DNC?
  11. Det Jim McLeod

Name a Celebrity - Name a Movie

Eve Arden was in Mildred Pierce with Joan Crawford
  12. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

HuffPost Politics‏Verified account@HuffPostPol Under Elizabeth Warren's new plan, up to 76 percent of households with student loan debt would receive “total loan forgiveness.” https://www.huffpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-student-debt_n_5cbcd065e4b032e7ceb9b51b?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000016&section=politics
  13. ...Well, I see that TCM has streched their " brand " to include cruises, and, perhaps most money-making, selling not old movies-related cooking, decorating, item s at Shop TCM - though I haven't gone there yet.
  14. Det Jim McLeod

Name 10 Facts About This Actor

2) His first Oscar nomination was for Rebel Without A Cause
  15. cigarjoe

The Triumph of Donald Trump

Impeach!!!
  16. Walter L.

Shorts missing from schedule

...I have a quite cheap phone with I think little room for apps on it. I can check the TCM schedule which lists these shorts " analog "-style.
  17. cigarjoe

I Just Watched...

Shallow Grave (1994) The new flatmate of three preexisting roomies turns up dead of an overdose. The flatmates find his syringe and a suitcase with a large sum of money. The roomies decide to keep the loot and bury the body out in the woods. Of course it all goes to hell pretty quickly and the new roommate's accomplices come looking for their money. 7/10 Director Danny Boyle, stars Kerry Fox, Christopher Eccleston, Ewan McGregor.
  18. Today
  19. The 1996 winner of Japan’s Academy Award was … Shall We Dance? (1996) Masayuki Suo, Japan
  20. The 1996 National Film Awards of India Best Picture was … Man of the Story (1996) Adoor Gopalakrishnan, India
  21. And too, the only ones I notice are TCM related( wine club, DVDs, books, etc.) so I don't know if I'd really consider them "commercials" more than promotions. Like ABC, NBC, CBS etc. promoting upcoming shows on their respective networks. Sepiatone
  22. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

The Atlantic‏Verified account@TheAtlantic Bernie Sanders is starting to think he will not only win the Democratic nomination, but beat Trump and become president, writes @isaacdovere: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/04/bernie-sanders-thinking-he-will-win-it-all-2020/587326/?utm_source=twitter&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_medium=social&utm_term=2019-04-17T15%3A11%3A06&utm_campaign=the-atlantic
  23. The 1996 winner of Russia’s Nika Best Picture Award was … Prisoner of the Mountains (1996) Sergei Bodrov, Russia
  24. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

CNN Politics‏Verified account@CNNPolitics Voter excitement for the 2020 election is already on par with the days before the 2016 vote https://cnn.it/2ZpNzl4
  25. Sepiatone

Which Peter Ustinov Films Do You Like?

Pulled out my 3 cassette box of the '77 TV "epic" JESUS OF NAZARETH over the weekend in which Ustinov made an excellent King Herod. Sepiatone
  26. Bogie56

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

What corrupt criminal would? And that's the only reason that he doesn't do email. Look at Trump's record for destroying documents during the discovery process when law suits are routinely brought against him. What is it that 38% of American like here? And don't tell me his policies. You can get anybody off the street to push those.
  27. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Jonathan Allen‏Verified account@jonallendc It’s not clear the House has the votes — or would ever have the votes — to impeach Trump. That’s the key threshold question. If there aren’t 218 votes, there’s no impeachment. But the big-“I” process, which can stop at any time, started a long time ago. Nadler, Schiff, Cummings.
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us