All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. LonesomePolecat

ClassiCategories

If so...
  3. Not all Noirs are about Crime. The streetcar named Film Noir went off the Crime Genre rails early, basically right at the onset of it's second coming. The Lost Weekend for example, delved into addiction and human frailties, not crime, Noir in its original 1930's use meant any films with subject matter considered immoral and demoralizing. Another example is Psychological Noir In A Lonely Place (1950). Others noir essentially without the crime (murder) usually associated with Film Noir, Nightmare Alley (1947), Set-Up (The) (1949), Ace In The Hole (Big Carnival (The)) (1951), Quicksand (1950), Killer That Stalked New York (1951), Detective Story (1951), Caged (1950), Pickup (1951), Don't Bother to Knock (1952), Jeopardy (1953), The Wages of Fear (1953), Fright (1956), Wrong Man (The) (1956), Sweet Smell Of Success (1957), and Two Men In Manhattan (Deux Hommes Dans Manhattan)(1959). Transitional Psychological Noir Mister Buddwing (1966) has no crime either, nor does Girl Of The Night (1960), The Savage Eye (1960), Something Wild (1961), Private Property (1962), Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962), Satan in High Heels (1962), Strange Compulsion (1964), Sweet Love, Bitter (1967), A Sweet Sickness (1968), Shame, Shame, everybody knows your name (1969).
  4. LawrenceA

I Just Watched...

Lover Come Back (1961) - 7/10 Comedy with Rock Hudson and Doris Day as rival advertising agency execs. They've never met, but she's heard of his womanizing reputation. When they meet, she mistakes him for someone else, and he decides to go along with the ruse, with the expected complications and humor. Also featuring Tony Randell as Rock's neurotic boss, Edie Adams, Jack Kruschen, Jack Albertson, Ann B. Davis, Donna Douglas, Howard St. John, Joe Flynn, Richard Deacon, and Jack Oakie in his final film role. I thought this was fun, lightweight romp, with some 60's sex-comedy raciness and good performances from the leads as well as Randell. There's also a lot of nice early 60's fashions and decor, and I especially liked Rock's bachelor pad. Source: Universal DVD
  5. starliteyes

Cinema Segue

All Women Have Secrets of the French Police
  6. starliteyes

Actor/Movie Association Game

George Raft
  7. starliteyes

Movies That Make a Statement

The King Steps Out
  8. Princess of Tap

Name the comedy

The Jackpot Next: Roscoe Karns
  9. LawrenceA

Robert Mueller submits Russia report

I don't think impeachment will gain much favor here, especially in my deep-red part of the state. If anything, the proposal that the House formally censure Trump (basically a symbolic public chastisement that would be embarrassing but carry no real punitive measures) would likely be accepted. I know Cid says that impeachment hearings would turn off a lot of independents, but as an independent I can't say how accurate that is. I obviously will not be voting for Trump, and there's absolutely nothing to convince me to do so. But I've felt and said as much since he first announced. I have a hard time understanding what people believe in if they could be on the fence regarding Trump. I mean, one may not like the Democratic candidate, but would their dislike be so intense as to make them vote against other, meaningful things that they do believe in? A vote for Trump is blatantly anti-environment (are there any environmental protections left at this point? Will there be if he has another full term? And this goes beyond just climate change concerns, and into the health of the citizenry, with pollution controls lost and water and food safety an afterthought), anti-healthcare reform ("We'll fix it later" isn't a valid proposal, and people are getting sick and going broke while we wait for a fix), anti-Wall Street regulation (setting us up for another 2008-style crash), anti-choice (this will become a major issue if Trump gets another term and doesn't have to worry about reelection. The Moral Majority types will want their pay-off, and this is the big one), the one-percenters tax cut that balloons the debt and strangles social programs, etc. etc. So when I hear this idea that people who may support one or more of those things throwing those concerns out the window because the House holds impeachment hearings, it makes little sense to me. I'm not saying people don't think that way, I just can't figure out why. It's like saying, "I care about the environment, I support a woman's right to choose, I want the super-rich to pay a proportionate tax rate, and I'm worried about corporate malfeasance collapsing the world economy again, but I'll forget all that if Nancy Pelosi makes Trump feel bad." The final issue regarding the 2020 elections will be voter turnout. Trump's army will be out in full force. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if gets more of the popular vote. The thing the Dems need to do is motivate the other side enough to get off their lazy ***** and vote. Right now they look too fractured, too sectarian, and too disillusioned to do so. Hopefully I'm wrong.
  10. Princess of Tap

Name a Celebrity - Name a Movie

Rory Calhoun saved Susan Hayward's life in "With a Song in My Heart".
  11. Princess of Tap

a new hate target for the left: Kate Smith

I don't take all artistic material as being literal all the time. Just like a novel or short story sometimes it's simply fictional or a Pastiche put together for artistic effect. That John Lennon song from "Rubber Soul", I never took it as being literal, but on the other hand since it's not a very good song, I never really thought that much about it anyway. And the same can be said for "Getting Better"-- not a very good song. As far as lyrics to songs go, Singers Change lyrics all the time to suit their voice, their mood, their style, their temperament Etc. Frank Sinatra did that a lot, and it really bugged some composers, like Cole Porter.
  12. jamesjazzguitar

a new hate target for the left: Kate Smith

Sorry but I have no clue what you're getting at. I don't support changing of content because it is 'dated' or no longer acceptable. But note that Getting Better has been sited by PC freaks as a song that shouldn't be played by radio stations anymore and no longer available via streaming services. Note if you believe I don't see where the content is 'negative', that just isn't true. I placed Run For Your Life here because it is clear that content is unacceptable today ("I'd rather see you DEAD" etc...), or ever IMO. BUT I don't wish for content (music, art, moves) to be altered. If the artist wishes to alter content that is different (e.g. like when Harrison prohibited the printing of the lyrics to Piggies after the murders).
  13. jamesjazzguitar

Robert Mueller submits Russia report

Florida will once again be a key state if not THE key state: So Larry, what vibe are you getting as it relates to impeachment? Should the Dems push it even though the Senate will never get to 2\3 or should the Dems just move on, hoping that there is enough in the Mueller report that will taint the view of Trump as it relates to moderates, independents and those that voted for Trump because they hated all thing Clinton? Also if the Dems go with someone perceived as being too-far-left, that will hurt in purple Florida. Of course Trump has been damaged (duh), but as you say it will still be a tough road for any Dem to beat Trump in states like Florida.
  14. jamesjazzguitar

FORGOTTEN Oldies

I agree about Who's Next; also in my top 10 when it comes to favorite rock albums and yea, every song is well written and well done. Squeeze Box is just too 'pop' for my taste and I find the vast talents of the rhythm section to be wasted. But hey, per Bargain, they are all wasted.
  15. Today
  16. TopBilled

Name the comedy

ISHTAR (1987) Next: Barbara Hale
  17. TopBilled

*A to Z of actresses and actors*:)

Quaid, Randy
  18. TopBilled

*A to Z of Movies*

COOL RUNNINGS (1993)
  19. TopBilled

Adapt Ability

MY FOOLISH HEART (1949) Next: George Axelrod
  20. TopBilled

Where movie characters live

Home Sweet Hollywood Recent Listing "If I don't invite him over for dinner, he won't find out where I live." -- Alice Adams ALICE ADAMS (1935)
  21. LawrenceA

I Just Watched...

What's the difference between these two? Does the latter feature hardcore sex? How then does it differ from just the run-of-the-mill X-rated flick?
  22. TopBilled

Home Sweet Hollywood Recent Listing "I recently bought this property to raise my sheep. We ain't harmin' nobody. But some people in this here valley, they think ranching is for cattle...and they're trying to run us off our land. But I'm warning you, if you come one step closer, I'll shoot." -- Josie Minick THE BALLAD OF JOSIE (1968)
  23. cigarjoe

I Just Watched...

For Anybodies Information.... In the hierarchy of Exploitation films dealing with "sex" the stages were Nudie Cuties (above), Sexploitation, Roughies, Rough Core, and White Coaters. White Coaters functioned much as the old Public Service films showing what was forbidden in the guise of doctors studies and cautionary warnings about sex. The next step was Hard Core loops and X Rated films.
  24. TopBilled

Home Sweet Hollywood Recent Listing "I am no longer at this Shell Oil Plant. But if you want to contact me and Ma, you can still reach us by sending your cards and letters to the top of the world." -- Cody Jarrett WHITE HEAT (1949)
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us