All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. speedracer5

Noir Alley

This is the second time that I've watched Woman on the Run. I liked it more the second go around as well. I'm a big Ann Sheridan fan, I'll watch anything that she appears in. I'll agree with MissWonderly's comments re: Ann's hair. It's unfortunate that she was forced to don the Ethel Mertz 'do in this film--especially after Eddie Muller having shared glamorous photos of Ann during his introduction. The Ethel Mertz hair looked fine on Vivian Vance, as it made her a little frumpy and contrasted nicely with star Lucille Ball, but even Vance looked better at the end of the series when she grew her hair out. Ann was only 35 in Woman on the Run and she easily looked 10 years older. I'll also agree with MissWonderly's assessment of Woman on the Run being an interesting study on a marriage gone South. Ann is rather indifferent to husband Elliot Reid, she doesn't even know about his heart condition! If you are unaware of your spouse's health issues, your marriage is really on the rocks. I think it's interesting to learn about more and more facets of their relationship as Ann tries to find her husband. They were really in love in the beginning and then, seemingly grew apart. Perhaps it's the transition into normal, humdrum life after the excitement of the dating and honeymoon stages are over. Ann grew bored of her husband. Her husband probably grew bored of her as well. I also love movies that feature amusement park scenes and I love noir that features real, on location footage. As someone who has been to modern San Francisco a few times, the difference between 1949/1950 San Francisco and 2010s San Francisco is night and day. While the layout and look of the city is the same, there is so much less traffic. Less people. Less homeless population. Everything. The look at 1949/1950 San Francisco almost looks idyllic. People could actually afford to live there! It was just a blue collar port city. I thought Dennis O'Keefe made an excellent pairing with Ann. I loved the rapport they had with one another and their banter. SPOILER!! I thought the twists were interesting, like when Ann asked Dennis his name and he casually said his name was Daniel Legget, but his friends call him "Danny Boy." The audience will remember that the victim at the beginning of the film is assaulted and murdered by a "Danny Boy." Ann is unaware of his real identity, but as the audience, having this knowledge adds a layer of suspense. I thought Elliott Reid was great and I immediately recognized him as the director from Lucy Ricardo's Vitameatavegamin commercial in I Love Lucy. Robert Keith, who played the police inspector, was Brian Keith's father. This was a great film and I enjoyed hearing the background as to how Eddie Muller's Film Noir Foundation found this film and with UCLA, restored it. I also thought Eddie disclosing how he saved Woman on the Run was funny, even if some piracy was involved. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do if it'll serve the greater good.
  3. TopBilled

ONE word titles

From 1951
  4. LonesomePolecat

ONE word titles

Illusion (1929)
  5. LonesomePolecat

The First Film That Comes to Mind...

Calamity Jane next dry cleaning
  6. TopBilled

*A to Z of Movies*

THE EXTRA DAY (1956)
  7. LonesomePolecat

*A to Z of Movies*

Dangerous Corner (1934)
  8. TopBilled

TWO word titles

From 1935
  9. LonesomePolecat

ClassiCategories

Groucho did that on TV
  10. LonesomePolecat

First Movie SONG That Comes to Mind

"Smile" written by Charlie Chaplin, from MODERN TIMES (words added later) next another theme that had words added later
  11. TopBilled

ClassiCategories

THE MIKADO (1939) is based on a comic opera by Gilbert & Sullivan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mikado_(1939_film)
  12. LonesomePolecat

ClassiCategories

Louise (1939) Porgy and Bess (1959) The Beggar's Opera (1953) A Night at the Opera contains 2 real operas: Il Trovatore and I Pagliacci Metropolitan (1935) is another backstage opera film and is loaded with opera segments from Carmen, Barber of Seville, and many others ...Just make sure your opera is phantom-free
  13. starliteyes

TWO word titles

14. TopBilled

Movies by Number

SEVEN DAYS TO NOON (1950)
  15. TopBilled

IT'S MOVIE "TIME"!

10:30 P.M. SUMMER (1966)
  16. starliteyes

IT'S MOVIE "TIME"!

Top o' the Morning
  17. TopBilled

Actor/Movie Association Game

INTRIGUE (1947)
  18. TopBilled

Movies That Make a Statement

I LOVE YOU..GOODBYE (1974)
  19. TopBilled

Name the comedy

PETTICOAT POLITICS (1941) Next: Andy Griffith
  20. cigarjoe

I Just Watched...

Roughies showed violence, usually against women (nothing new in films), but also with a lot of T&A and occasional meer glimpses of bush, these films were produced in the 1966-1968 range. Obscenity laws were evolving in the courts. By 1969 full frontal female nudity was permitted (hilariously giving rise to a lot of, what else, lesbian themed stories), combine this with the ingredients of Roughies gave you Rough Core. In 1970 fully X Rated films were allowed.
  21. Today
  22. starliteyes

Movies by Number

Two for Tonight
  23. starliteyes

*A to Z of Filmmakers*

Ulrich, Daniel - Props (The Crusades)
  24. LonesomePolecat

ClassiCategories

If so...
  25. Not all Noirs are about Crime. The streetcar named Film Noir went off the Crime Genre rails early, basically right at the onset of it's second coming. The Lost Weekend for example, delved into addiction and human frailties, not crime, Noir in its original 1930's use meant any films with subject matter considered immoral and demoralizing. Another example is Psychological Noir In A Lonely Place (1950). Others noir essentially without the crime (murder) usually associated with Film Noir, Nightmare Alley (1947), Set-Up (The) (1949), Ace In The Hole (Big Carnival (The)) (1951), Quicksand (1950), Killer That Stalked New York (1951), Detective Story (1951), Caged (1950), Pickup (1951), Don't Bother to Knock (1952), Jeopardy (1953), The Wages of Fear (1953), Fright (1956), Wrong Man (The) (1956), Sweet Smell Of Success (1957), and Two Men In Manhattan (Deux Hommes Dans Manhattan)(1959). Transitional Psychological Noir Mister Buddwing (1966) has no crime either, nor does Girl Of The Night (1960), The Savage Eye (1960), Something Wild (1961), Private Property (1962), Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962), Satan in High Heels (1962), Strange Compulsion (1964), Sweet Love, Bitter (1967), A Sweet Sickness (1968), Shame, Shame, everybody knows your name (1969).
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us