All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. mr6666

Democrats Begin Impeachment of Trump

Andrew Desiderio @AndrewDesiderio · 23h NEWS: Former Pompeo adviser Michael McKinley, who resigned last week, will testify in closed session on Wednesday before House impeachment investigators, according to an official working on the inquiry.
  3. judsey

Union County, NJ

I live in union County, NJ. I saw Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen last month, wow. I wish there was a NJ chapter. Anybody want to meet and talk Movies, let me know. Maybe we could form our own NJ chapter !
  4. DJBeacon

Actor/Movie Association Game

"The Anderson Tapes" (1971)
  5. "Eyes Wide Shut" (1999) Next: men with capes and hoods
  6. TomJH

I Just Watched...

Walk A Crooked Mile (1948) Enemy agent crime drama, done in the semi-documentary style so popular in Hollywood in the late '40s. FBI agent Dennis O'Keefe and Scotland Yard man Louis Hayward (crime fighting hands extended across the waters) combine forces to get the low down on secret agents smuggling scientific formulas out of a California nuclear facility. Reed Hadley's stentorious delivery provides the voice over narration throughout, so there is a real familiarity here for fans of the genre. The film is well paced and reasonably exciting (there will be a tommy gun blasting, shoot 'em climax seemingly right out of Warners' G Men). There are also some slightly cartoony characterizations, too, particularly of the villains. You know that the enemy agents in the film are Commie rat bastards because when they get together they are all addressing each other as "Comrade" and it takes only seconds before one of them makes a reference to "world revolution." (Boo, hiss, Red pigs, get back to Moscow where ya belong!). Among the agents are Onslow Stevens, ruthless head of the organization, and a bearded Raymond Burr, who later turns out to be pretty vicious himself. Of course this film was produced by Columbia as the Red scare in Hollywood was reaching a peak in paranoia. O'Keefe, who had scored well recently in a pair of Anthony Mann noirs, T-Men and Raw Deal, is solid as the FBI agent, while Hayward is serious and efficient as the Scotland Yard man. There will be one scene in which the film's two heroes are taken captive by the Commies, and it looks like curtains for our boys. All joking aside, though, it's an exciting, well staged sequence, even if it does have a corny finale with the death of a landlady, an "old country" immigrant who has dealt with thugs before (the screenplay equating Commies to Nazis here) and is glad to give her life for her new country. In fact, the lady even gives us a mini speech as she is croaking on the floor just to let us know just how proud a patriot she is. (Time out to quietly wave the flag, folks). 2.5 out of 4
  7. Ironically, I was talking with a friend today about Giant. He didn't realize the title referred to "the Lone Star state of Texas...this is the Giant, the land we love." It got me to thinking: how many of us really don't think about a movie's title and how it relates to the story?
  8. I don't even remember what time I had to get up, probably around seven. My mommy would come upstairs and get me up. Sometimes she even actually said Time to rise and shine. Pow, zoom, striaght to the moon Alice.
  9. Gershwin fan

Somewhat Off-Topic: What have you been reading lately?

Come on, V. He just died yesterday. I thought this interview of his is pretty good. He defended literature from the School of Resentment and people who interjected politics from both sides. Who will defend the Western Canon now? I don't think there is a literary scholar like him around today.
  10. filmnoirguy

Top Five Favorite Judy Garland Movie Songs

1. The Man That Got Away 2. Over the Rainbow 3. On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe 4. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, tied with The Trolley Song 5. Get Happy Guilty pleasure: Bidin' My Time. (Judy's expression is priceless as she sings this song.)
  11. Peter Baker @peterbakernyt · 18h Breaking: Bolton instructed aide to report Giuliani pressure campaign to White House lawyer. “I am not part of whatever drug deal Rudy and Mulvaney are cooking up,” Bolton said, according to testimony to House investigators. @npfandos
  12. Bernie is at best a Social Democrat. He is a Capitalist too. I don't think either of them are going to be nominated though, Bernie particularly for his age and health concerns.
  13. mr6666

Trump vs Turkey & Kurdish allies....

Jennifer Griffin @JenGriffinFNC Russian mercenaries give video tour of abandoned US base in Northern Syria, laughing at the hasty US retreat, showing unfinished meals on dining tables and heavy military equipment left behind. A Russian propaganda coup.
  14. mr6666

The Triumph of Donald Trump

Kyle Cheney @kyledcheney NEWS: The State Department and White House tried to block George Kent from appearing -- so the House Intel Committee subpoenaed him, according to a source working on the impeachment inquiry. He is complying with the subpoena. This is Yovanovitch all over again. ====================================== @tedlieu · 5h Both @realDonaldTrump and @SecPompeo tried to hide and obstruct the testimony of: Ambassador Volcker Ambassador Yovanovitch Fiona Hill George Kent @POTUS & Pompeo failed. Why? Because we have patriots who want to tell the truth.
  15. And Eddie Axberg had the distinction of being the location sound recordist for these two films as well. I'm not sure I could name another actor who does that sort of double duty outside of student or very low budget films.
  16. David Cicilline @davidcicilline · 7h Not long until @realDonaldTrump tries to say Rudy Giuliani was just a “coffee boy” and that John Bolton is a Democrat.
  17. Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1 Breaking via NYT: John Bolton instructed Fiona Hill to notify the chief lawyer for the National Security Council that Rudy Giuliani was working with Mick Mulvaney on a rogue operation with legal implications, Hill told the investigators.
  18. Vautrin

Movies That It Sometimes Feels That Only You Alone Like?

From what I recall there were a couple of wiseguys, but I didn't think of them as having much of a superiority complex.
  19. mr6666

Rudy and the Beast

Shimon Prokupecz @ShimonPro Rudy Giuliani is parting ways with the personal attorney representing him so far in matters related to the impeachment inquiry. Giuliani confirmed to CNN Tuesday that his current attorney, Jon Sale, is ending his representation of the former New York City mayor shortly. 1:22 PM · Oct 15, 2019
  20. Peebs

Name 10 Facts About This Actor

7) Esther Williams garnered some attention for her 1999 autobiography "Million Dollar Mermaid" when she claimed that Jeff Chandler, whom she dated, was a cross-dresser. She reportedly told him, "Jeff, you're too big for polka dots." Friends of Chandler, including Jane Russell, disputed the story.
  21. filmnoirguy

Noir Alley

SPOILER: Who did Raft and boys find hanging in the apartment? Was that the loud mouth maid?
  22. Harold Bloom, the sad-eye professor of pomposity has died. Oh no, how will we ever be able to understand texts without the near divine guidance of the Martha Stewart of literature.
  23. Today
  24. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Frida Ghitis @FridaGhitis If only Trump's fans knew the truth Quote Tweet Justin Amash @justinamash · 56m President Trump has increased U.S. forces in the Middle East by about 14,000 since May. He’s not bringing them home; he’s sending them there. theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/trump-fool-us-middle-east/600010/… 4:39 PM · Oct 15, 2019·Twitter Web App
  25. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Newsweek @Newsweek Mike Pence would probably just pardon Donald Trump if he was impeached, GOP strategist says Mike Pence would probably just pardon Donald Trump if he was impeached, GOP strategist says Rick Tyler said it would be better if Trump was voted out of office as he would face prosection for past crimes and would not have a Republican president to pardon him. newsweek.com 4:40 PM · Oct 15, 2019·SocialFlow
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us