All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Vautrin

Hey, Canadians...

Let 'em come up with a slightly more imaginative name than Canada Day. A while back I made the somewhat disturbing discovery that we have French Canadian ancestors on my mother's side of the family. They emigrated to upstate New York sometime in the 1840s. O, thank you, thank you. Les uns, joyeux de fuir une patrie infame;
  3. TopBilled

Bette Davis' daughter talks about witchcraft

I find all this kind of stuff interesting. Bette had issues with her own mother, and then B.D. had issues with her. B.D. seems to have a good relationship with her husband and sons (from what I can tell, there's nothing to indicate otherwise). The one thing that comes through loud and clear with all this is that B.D. does not consider her mother to have been a Christian. But if she saved her father from a cult, then she can take comfort in the fact that one of her parents ended up in paradise. Hope you're having a pleasant day calvin!
  4. LawrenceA

I Just Watched...

The Connection (1961) - 6/10 Arthouse drama about a group of heroin addicts hanging around an apartment in Harlem, waiting for their connection to arrive with the day's fix. The characters monologize about their pathetic lives, while a few of them play jazz music. The film is presented as a documentary being filmed by a director (William Redfield) and his cameraman (Roscoe Lee Browne, in his debut). Featuring Warren Finnerty, Jerome Raphael, Jim Anderson, Barbara Winchester, Henry Proach, and Carl Lee. Shirley Clarke directed this film version of a play which structurally resembles the later mockumentary genre, only without the humor. The subject matter and the presentation ensure that this will have little appeal outside of the arthouse crowd, as most audiences will find this tedious, self-indulgent and of minimal entertainment. I applaud the effort and the intent, but the end product isn't something I'd want to revisit. Source: internet
  5. Vautrin

RECONSTRUCTION: America After the Civil War

Yes, it was a political deal, no doubt about it. One that likely did more harm than good.
  6. Gershwin fan

RECONSTRUCTION: America After the Civil War

Ethnic tensions used to be much worse in Chicago/ Illinois during that time period. In the 1919 there was a major race riot in Chicago. It is often said that the young Mayor Daley (then only 17) had a hand in that even though he never officially acknowledged it.
  7. TopBilled

Westerns on Retroplex & Starz

Recently added for streaming on Starz: TEXAS RANGERS RIDE AGAIN (1940) with John Howard BLACK BART (1948) with Yvonne De Carlo WHISPERING SMITH (1948) with Robert Preston BROKEN ARROW (1950) with Jeff Chandler TUMBLEWEED (1953) with Audie Murphy WILL PENNY (1968) with Charlton Heston
  8. calvinnme

Bette Davis' daughter talks about witchcraft

IMHO B.D. has mommy issues that go back decades. I really don't think Bette Davis was a witch any more than I think that Joan Crawford was an axe murderer. These were just the kinds of roles that older actresses could get in film as they aged. Katharine Hepburn was an exception in that she got dignified roles until she retired. At any rate, Happy Easter TB!
  9. cigarjoe

The Triumph of Donald Trump

Because they can continue on where he felt it's their duty as a co-equal branch of government to do so. IMPEACH!!!
  10. TopBilled

Actor/Movie Association Game

Ruth Donnelly
  11. mr6666

Noir Alley

The Pulp Guy‏ @Abitofpulp 7h7 hours ago #NoirAlley #TCMParty #WomanOnTheRun Great shot.
  12. rayban

I Just Watched...

The idea of Gina Lollobrigida and Rock Hudson not being able to have sex had its' comic moments.
  13. mr6666

Noir Alley

jax ☘️‏ @jaxbra 18h18 hours ago And that story that @EddieMuller just told about the fire in 2008 that destroyed the only copy they knew of, and then found another...THAT'S why donating to the @noirfoundation is so worthwhile!! ================================== -Another copy he (sort of) illegally obtained
  14. cigarjoe

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

If we don't reign in this crazy lunatic the country is heading for a potential disaster, Impeach!!!!!
  15. Today
  16. Yea just like nobody could believe he'd get elected, we'll see what happens. Who is so clairvoyant to predict it will be a repeat of the scenario of Clinton getting re-elected. Twump is **** off too many people. I'll believe it when I see it... Impeach!
  17. Princess of Tap

Elizabeth Warren Pres. Candidacy.....

I don't know who the strong field is? But I still think Joe Biden can beat him. However, you never know what can happen in more than a year's time.
  18. mr6666

Noir Alley

jax ☘️‏ @jaxbra 17h17 hours ago "The dog is our only mutual friend." “What causes hypertension?” “Basically you.” Oh good Lord this film. #NoirAlley #TCMParty #WomanOnTheRun ============================== -DID have some Great lines! & pretty suspenseful Ending...
  19. Princess of Tap

Footlight Parade
  20. Princess of Tap

5 Supporting Players Make The Movie

Next Bess Flowers Will Wright Tamara Shayne John Alexander Al Jolson
  21. HelenBaby2

Overrated talents ?

The thing is that if studios over promoted and the actors failed to perform at the box office, then they were dumped at the first opportunity.
  22. TopBilled

Guy Kibbee
  23. What's Going On in Sri Lanka? A History of War and Violence, Now Bombings Interrupt Peace ......Majority-Buddhist Sri Lanka is home to several major religious minorities, including Hindus, Muslims and Christians—predominantly Roman Catholic—which made up 12.6 percent, 9.7 percent and 7.4 percent of the country's population, respectively, according to a 2012 estimate cited by the CIA World Factbook. While Buddhists were largely comprised of the country's Sinhalese ethnic group, Sri Lankan and Indian Tamils mostly adhered to Hinduism, with a strong Christian minority. Tamil-speaking Muslims, however, were considered Moors, as they traced their history back to Arab traders who settled in the region centuries ago. Competing interests and armed conflict between these groups turned the small South Asian island state into a war zone between 1983 and 2009, largely pitting the mostly Sinhalese government against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam. This separatist insurgent group also targeted Muslims, who have continued to suffer discrimination even in peacetime........ https://www.newsweek.com/whats-happening-sri-lanka-history-bombings-1402304?utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter
  24. Polly of the Precodes

Movie Messiahs...and others....

Conrad Veidt in The Passing of the Third Floor Back (1935). Ian Hunter (with Joan Crawford and Clark Gable) in Strange Cargo (1940).
  25. mr6666

Where Is Barack Obama?

Barack Obama‏Verified account @BarackObama 5h5 hours ago To all who celebrate today, happy Easter from our family to yours! On this day of rebirth and renewal, let’s recommit to love and serve our brothers and sisters, especially those in need, in every way we can. Have a great day, everybody.
  26. LawrenceA

Elizabeth Warren Pres. Candidacy.....

I don't see this lineup as very strong. In fact, as they stand right now, Trump will steamroll over every one of them. And you know how I feel about Trump. Things may change as the field narrows and their platforms and personalities become more focused, but I'm not holding out much hope at this very early point.
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us