All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. TopBilled

Bette Davis' daughter talks about witchcraft

In the clip I posted, where B.D. is interviewed on the morning program, she says she wrote the book before her mother's health declined (before the stroke I would assume). I think it had already gone to the publishers. It would have been out of her hands at that point, and up to the publishing company to halt or delay publication. As we know Bette bounced back from that stroke and lived several more years. So maybe B.D.'s book caused her to rally, because she was determined to publish her own tome, which she did in 1987:
  3. YabbaDabba

TCM Imports - 2019

Are there any for this month? Haven't seen them....
  4. Fedya

" The Green Pastures ", Sunday

Not in Silver Streak.
  5. LawrenceA

I Just Watched...

Last Year at Marienbad (1961) - 5/10 French drama (?) set at a palatial resort where many finely dressed people dance, watch plays, and stand around looking at one another. One man (Giorgio Albertazzi) approaches a woman (Delphine Seyrig), apparently hoping to rekindle a relationship from "last year, at Marienbad", only the woman claims to not know the man. Another man (Sacha Pitoeff), who may or may not be the woman's husband, tries to thwart the first man. Meanwhile, everyone looks fabulous as the camera zooms past them, or zooms in, or quick-cuts away. This may be the ultimate arthouse flick, alternately regarded as brilliant or pretentious, mesmerizing or dull, hypnotic or narcoleptic. It looks nice, and its visual style has certainly been influential. But many (most?) viewers will find it a confounding, nigh-incomprehensible waste of time. To those few who "get it", it will be regarded as a masterwork. I'm somewhere in between. I appreciate the artistry, and the idea that director Alain Resnais may have been attempting to depict the inner workings of the mind (I also like the idea that the movie may be a ghost story, with long-dead players reenacting their mortal hang-ups), but a little of this goes a long way. The organ-music score, in particular, grew very grating. However, I can see where some may connect with the abstract vibe. Source: internet
  6. TheCid

Noir Alley

I think Eddie may have alluded to this as possibly a choice by Sheridan. He did point out that she wore the same shapeless overcoat throughout most of the movie. I think Sheridan wanted to show that while she was beyond the "hot" young role, she could still act and deserved more roles.
  7. Vautrin

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

It couldn't happen to a nicer mass murderer.
  8. Vautrin

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Two sleazebags for the price of one.
  9. Today
  10. The 1996 Belgium Film Critics Association Best Picture Award went to … Drifting Clouds (1996) Aki Kaurismaki, Finland
  11. The winner of the 1996 Lumiere Best Picture Award was … Ridicule (1996) Patrice Leconte, France
  12. LonesomePolecat

First Movie SONG That Comes to Mind

Bernard Herrmann 's original opera music in CITIZEN KANE Next Something else by Bernard Herrmann
  13. The winner of the 1996 Prix Jean Vigo was … Encore (1996) Pascal Bonitzer, France
  14. The winner of the 1996 Prix Louis Delluc Best Picture was … Will It Snow For Christmas? (1996) Sandrine Veysset, France
  15. Vautrin

a new hate target for the left: Kate Smith

Go over to Red State. You'll see all the irrational pettiness you want along with the usual wingnut craziness.
  16. LonesomePolecat

ClassiCategories

OTELLO (1986)
  17. misswonderly3

Noir Alley

Coincidental timing, Hibi! I just wrote a longish post about it one minute ago !
  18. misswonderly3

Noir Alley

I'm a little disappointed that there haven't been many comments here about Woman on the Run. (Yes, a few, but they're pretty short.) I'd seen this film a bunch of years ago (from a TCM airing, of course) and liked it. I was pleased that it was being shown on Noir Alley, and made a point of watching it. So, yes I'm glad to say, I liked it this time around even better than my first viewing. It's pretty engaging, keeping an almost non-stop pace. I really enjoy all those San Francisco settings- especially the Chinese night-club. And even more, the amusement park. Ok, Eddie says that the amusement park setting is actually not San Francisco, but Pacific Ocean Park in Santa Monica. Wherever, I love it. I love movies, especially noirs, with amusement park scenes (Lady from Shanghai, The Burglar, Dark Corner, many others...) Anyway, what a great place for the final scene in this exciting film. It's funny to watch poor Ann Sheridan having to whip not once, but twice, through that roller coaster ride ! You wonder if it's not all acting, if Ann is really getting a bit sick from the ride. But the most interesting thing about Woman on the Run isn't its great on-location settings, nor is it the action, nor the 180-degree turn in the plot (SPOILER ! There's a real twist right at the end, but I always think that even to say "there's a twist" in a film, even if you don't say what the twist is, is in itself a kind of spoiler....) No, by far the most intriguing aspect to this neat little noir is the examination of a marriage gone sour. Not via some Bergmanesque dialogue, but via Anne's search for her husband through the streets of San Francisco (sorry, couldn't resist - and no, Karl Malden is not to be seen anywhere....), and how, through various conversations she has with people who knew her husband, who worked with him or talked with him in the bar he liked to go to, or treated his medical condition, she gradually discovers that there is much more to this man than she'd realized,that she'd allowed disappointment in his desired career as an artist to come between them. You can infer from small things - the tone in her voice when she talks about her husband to the police, the hard expression on the face of a manniquin he'd designed, a face that resembles his wife - that these two people have stopped communicating with each other and more or less given up on their marriage without ever really having tried to talk about what went wrong and whether they could fix it. I love the way Anne's character gets to know her husband all over again in the course of her search for him. My only complaint about the film is a trivial one; I like Ann Sheridan a lot. She was still fairly young when she made Woman on the Run, and she's still lovely. But for some reason, instead of her usual glossy mane, they give her a matronly shorter hairstyle in this film, which does not really suit her and makes her look older than her 35 years. Ann's co-star throughout most of the movie is Dennis O'Keefe. He's quite good in his role as the reporter intent on getting a story from Ann (SPOILER ! NOT !) and whoever did the casting for him and the actor who plays Ann's husband, (Ross Elliott), did a great job, as there's a bit of a physical resemblance between the two men, which you discover is a significant part of the plot. Anyway, I thought this was a highly enjoyable little noir, and I thank Eddie Muller for "resurrecting" it. (Good choice for Easter Sunday !)
  19. Vautrin

Confederate statues are a different matter. Most of them date from the Jim Crow period, likely as a reminder to keep white supremacy and segregation alive. People, mostly black people, have been complaining about them for years. It's only recently that they have come into the spotlight. I prefer the Durham procedure. Don't wait for the government to do something, just tear the mfers down. I would not walk a million miles to protest Al Jolson.
  20. TheCid

Noir Alley

That was something they could have gone into, but didn't.
  21. TheCid

Elizabeth Warren Pres. Candidacy.....

What I heard her say was it would require a 2% tax increase on all taxpayers to fund these two programs. Majority of people who vote in general elections think they pay too much already. That is the whole problem with Sanders, Warren, AOC, et. al. They proselytize programs for which there is no money. And don't say it can come out of Defense Dept. because it cannot.
  22. JR33928

And one of these days they'll turn their mindless outrage towards TCM and the kind of movies they show. Don't think they will???...they haven't gotten around to it Yet but just wait,we'll see it happen.I know there's Plenty of ppl in this forum who think it'll never happen,i know cuz i've read their posts when the subject came up...some ppl are naive.
  23. Hibi

Noir Alley

I missed that. WHY would a newspaper reporter become a killer? You'd think they'd be at least suspicious.
  24. It occurred to me that it was Nimoy's co-star in the western "Catlow," Yul Brynner, who did a TV ad to be aired after his death in 1985 in which he told viewers he wasn't around anymore because he smoked. And I also recall Larry Hagman (who had worked with Nimoy in the TV movie "The Alpha Caper") mentioned to Larry King that he had met Brynner at an awards function and regretted his own reaction to Brynner who tried to get Hagman to quit smoking in his presence. He had told him "Tough" on that occasion, a while before Brynner's death from lung cancer and Hagman's own need for a liver transplant due to drinking. Hagman became a staunch advocate for organ donation and for anti-smoking campaigns.
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us