All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. hamradio

yes, climate change is a fact

Protesters packing it up, long trip back home.
  3. Vautrin

The four watchable Bond movies.

I guess the producers decided to call an audible after Star Wars took off. The death of the girl at the hands of the Dobermans is disturbing as a thought, but in the movie they cut away from the worse of what happened to her. And of course I doubt viewers were too surprised that a Bond villain would do something like that.
  4. GGGGerald

Joe Buck's AM/FM radio

What local radio around here is playing today, was playing when that movie was released.
  5. Vautrin

Subtext in THE STRANGER (1946)

Sometimes the subtexts just seem to come right out of the TV. And it's no coincidence that Mishima offed himself with a sword.
  6. laffite

I Just Watched...

Interesting that they let the chorus girls have a few meals once in awhile, giving an idea that pleasingly plump was considered a fine thing in woman back then. Not like today when we see skinny as rails a la twiggy-poo.
  7. Today
  8. SummerStars

*A to Z of actresses and actors*:)

Lynde, Paul
  9. Swithin

I Just Watched...

The Bowery (1933) Don't look for this jolly old movie to be shown on TCM for two reasons: for one, it's a Fox film; for another, it's filled with every ethnic epithet that ever graced the streets of NYC in the Gay Nineties. In fact, the opening shot is of the entrance to "N.....r Joe's," which was actually a saloon in 1890s New York. The Bowery is a fictionalized account of two old New York characters: Chuck Connors (played by.Wallace Beery) and Steve Bodie (played by George Raft), two rivals for top man on the Bowery. Connors was known as the Mayor of Chinatown; Brodie was famous for allegedly jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge and surviving. The film is in the mood of Mae West's She Done Him Wrong, filled with colorful characters, dialogue, and songs of the period, including a singing waiter who gives a pretty good performance of "My Dad's the Engineer." The film, directed by NYC native Raoul Walsh, whose style is evident throughout, also features Jackie Cooper, Fay Wray, and Pert Kelton, as well as a very young Charles Lane and the first screen appearance of Lucille Ball. Actors playing Carrie Nation and John L. Sullivan also grace the proceedings. The first quarter hour of the film is pure mood-setting bliss, with Kelton performing "Ta-ra-ra Boom-de-ay" in Connors' raucous saloon: The movie ends with Raft, Cooper, and Beery marching off to fight in the Spanish-American War, as "Goodbye Dolly Gray" is played. The Bowery is pre-code, boisterous, sentimental, politically incorrect fun, with great performances by everyone in the large cast. And the film also features kittens and kitten poop!
  10. Arturo

Not as long as your stupid reckless ignorant uncaring fossil-fool A-hole of a “President” continues his science-denying path.
  11. slaytonf

The four watchable Bond movies.

Then you don't buy Dr. No's people. Or Emilio Largo's people. Or any of the dozens of armies of Bond nemeses that habituated vast subterranean complexes. Ah, the song of envy. Soooo sweet.
  12. hamradio

Wonder will Mother Nature give us cooler temperatures to prevent kids from playing hooky?
  13. hamradio

Joe Buck's AM/FM radio

Too bad today the AM/FM no longer worth pawning.
  14. Darn toot'in those wet behind the ears young'ins think they know everything.
  15. GGGGerald

Joe Buck's AM/FM radio

Nah, kids are already coughing and wheezing from vaping
  16. TopBilled

Actor/Movie Association Game

Gene Wilder
  17. TopBilled

Kellaway, Cecil
  18. I don't watch................
  19. That's entertainment in 2019. I had this very conversation with a good friend of mine. Come November, we'll have to do just that, cobble together what works for us. He's married so he has to factor in his wife's tastes. No one can afford all of those channels. And those who could probably have better things to do. That's another advantage of home viewing. You can always hit pause. Or with Video on Demand, you can simply catch up with it later. HBO did something novel, back in 2011, they turned Mildred Pierce into a mini series. That gives time to flesh out characters and you're able to watch it in "bite sized pieces". Rather than the hours long epic. The theater near me has very reasonable prices so a movie doesn't have to be brilliant for me to watch it. And if I wait a week, the theater is almost empty. So its as if I have the theater to myself.
  20. NipkowDisc

Joe Buck's AM/FM radio

okay all you big wup cinema experts... what brand and model? and what about that orange juice commercial. a few months from now we'll all be coughing like that due to global warming, right?
  21. TopBilled

*A to Z of Movies*

FRENCH KISS (1995)
  22. Peebs

Actor/Movie Association Game

Young Frankenstein (1974)
  23. TopBilled

The First Film That Comes to Mind...

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN (1974) with Roger Moore. Next: hairpin curves
  24. Peebs

Janssen, Famke
  25. Peebs

*A to Z of Movies*

8 1/2 (963)
  26. Marcello Mastroianni Next: character actor from 1970's
  27. Peebs

The First Film That Comes to Mind...

From Russia With Love (1963) Next: your favorite non-Bond Sean Connery movie
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us