All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. scsu1975

I Just Watched...

Edward Andrews is hysterical in this, especially during the traffic jam sequence.
  3. Princess of Tap

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

I always wondered why his daughter distanced herself from him and was afraid to let her children around him.
  4. There's Way Too Much Trash on Mt. Everest As far as spring cleaning goes, there are few jobs bigger than Mt. Everest. Standing at 29,029 feet, the world's tallest mountain above sea level has long been overdue for a cleanup effort. After just two weeks in, the endeavor has already yielded more than 6,600 pounds of trash that humans have left on the summit—and four dead bodies. The Sagarmatha Cleaning Campaign, named after the Nepali word used to describe Everest (it loosely translates to "sky head"), began on April 14. An official effort from Nepal's government, it involves the country's military, tourism board, ministry of environment, and local governments and costs over 23 million Nepalese Rupees, or roughly $206,000—and it's just getting started. The cleaners will ultimately collect around 11,000 pounds of garbage from the Base Camp area; 4,400 pounds from the South Col region; and 6,600 pounds from the Camp II and III areas, according to Dandu Raj Ghimire, director general of Nepal's Department of Tourism, in an interview with The Himalayan Times. That comes out to approximately 11 tons of trash. Cleaning up the highest peak in the world is, as you'd expect, much more difficult than cleaning out your house. Hiking up to the Base Camp alone (17,700 feet high) on the southern side takes several days. The windy South Col region (25,938 feet) is an entry point into Everest's death zone, a mountaineering phrase for locations where the oxygen is insufficient for humans over an extended time period. The trash itself is wide-ranging. Empty cans, bottles, plastic, and discarded climbing gear litter the Base Camp, to the extent that a military helicopter has been brought in to take the non-biodegradable trash to nearby Kathmandu. ********************************************************** So much for the theory that mountain climbers are real environmentalists, they have left Mt. Everest worse than a homeless camp.
  5. hamradio

Racism in Trump's America

I was looking at the list of woman that could be chosen, and Susan B. Anthony came up. Lol what short memories. Lead balloon time.
  6. Fedya

I Just Watched...

I think my favorite bit is when the older maid keeps going on to Stanwyck about giving the little girl a milk bath despite neither of them having the money to get that much milk. Stanwyck tells her boyfriend about it, and the next shot is of him knocking over a dairy store to get the milk!
  7. LawrenceA

I Just Watched...

The Thrill of It All (1963) - 7/10 More lighthearted comedy with Doris Day as a housewife and mother of two who inadvertently becomes a media celebrity with her awkward commercials for soap. Her success causes discord with her doctor husband James Garner. Also featuring Arlene Francis, Edward Andrews, Robert Strauss, Reginald Owen, Elliott Reid, Hayden Rorke, Burt Mustin, Anne Newman, Carl Reiner, and Zasu Pitts. This was a pleasant diversion, with winning performances from the cast. The screenplay by Carl Reiner and Larry Gelbart is good, and Reiner is hilarious in a small role as various TV villains. Source: Universal DVD
  8. Gershwin fan

Is Criticizing Israel Anti-Semitic.?

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/460228-anti-semitic-bds-israel-zizek/ Zizek: Labeling BDS ‘anti-Semitic’ desecrates the Holocaust in order to legitimize apartheid The (rather clumsy) irony of the ad is clear: Shaked’s left-liberal critics attack her for (what they perceive as) the fascist elements in her program (and in the measures enforced by her ministry). But in her reply to these critics, she ironically assumes the term ‘fascist,’ while the voice lists her actual measures which are democratic. Although Shaked tried to overcome Netanyahu from the right, Netanyahu took the same path in his statements on Instagram where, after asserting that all citizens of Israel, including Arabs, had equal rights, he added: “Israel is not a state of all its citizens.” This referred to the controversial law passed last year declaring Israel to be the nation state of the Jewish people. Yet, we would come closer to truth if we simply turned Shaked’s ad on its head – she instead sprays herself with a perfume called “democracy” while a narrator enumerates her achievements: the apartheid system with second-class citizens, leaving more than a million of Palestinians in a legal limbo, bombings of civilians… and then a passer-by (not Shaked herself) comments: “Smells like Fascism to me.” The true political goal of the ongoing campaign against BDS is to legitimize the stance shared by Shaked and Netanyahu. Our answer to all those who support this campaign should thus be: those who are not ready to criticize the apartheid politics of the state of Israel should also keep silent about the possible excesses of BDS. - referencing/ criticizing this Israeli political ad
  9. MarshaKatz

ClassiCategories

SEVEN DAYS IN MAY (1964) ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN (1976) FORREST GUMP (1994) THE BUTLER (2013) DAVE (1993) PRINCESS O'ROURKE (1943) YANKEE DOODLE DANDY (1942)
  10. spence

Who else likes JENNA MALONE?

sorry me old friends, having comp troubles & lots of things are scewing up, so this may no to like eith little film buff attractive aussie jenna
  11. shutoo

ClassiCategories

Bonnie Hunt's WH tour guide in Dave ("we're walking, we're walking") James Cagney leaving the WH in Yankee Doodle Dandy
  12. Today
  13. LawrenceA

Recently Watched Horror

Robert Pattinson, Willem Dafoe’s The Lighthouse’ Wins Cannes Critics’ Award Robert Eggers’ “The Lighthouse,” with Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson, won the Cannes Film Festival critics’ award for best first or second feature in Directors’ Fortnight and Critics’ Week, one of the first prizes for which “The Lighthouse” has been eligible at Cannes. Produced by A24, New Regency and Brazil’s RT Features, and picked up by Focus Features for international distribution and A24 for North America, “The Lighthouse” is shot in chiaroscuro black-and-white and a 1.19:1 box ratio, with Dafoe and Pattinson playing lighthouse keepers who drive each other to the brink of madness. The Fipresci honor for “The Lighthouse” marks another plaudit for Eggers, who is rapidly emerging as a major talent in many critics’ view, as well as for one of the best-reviewed of movies in any section at this year’s Cannes Film Festival. Variety called “The Lighthouse” “darkly exciting” and “made with extraordinary skill,” commenting that “the movie, building on ‘The Witch,’ proves that Robert Eggers possesses something more than impeccable genre skill. He has the ability to lock you into the fever of what’s happening onscreen.” https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-pattinson-willem-defoe-the-lighthouse-critics-award-cannes-film-festival-1203225940/
  14. Gershwin fan

Racism in Trump's America

They should put William James on the bill.
  15. Arturo

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Isn't there a toilet on board so he could have some "Executive Time", and do what he does best, crap and tweet?!? Or is it.....tweet some crap?
  16. LawrenceA

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films from 2001

Now here I was thinking that everyone was just dying to read every little production detail about Stacy: Attack of the Schoolgirl Zombies.
  17. TheCid

Trump & the Saudis?

The above image from the Intercept article does not actually show "bombs." Of course, that could very well be a subterfuge on the part of Trump. It does show aircraft and ship launched missiles, which I guess could be used in Yemen, especially the aircraft ones. The other items appear to typical big bucks for US defense industries. Which of course creates jobs and spending in many, many Congressional districts and states. There is not doubt that what Trump is doing is wrong as there is no threat to Saudi Arabia or US personnel/facilities in S.A. Wonder if Congress or House can appeal to Supreme Court to stop it?
  18. KarmaGirl

ClassiCategories

My Fellow Americans (1996)
  19. lavenderblue19

Long Titles (6 words + up)

20. jaragon

Roger Corman and those Edgar Allan Poe stories

I'm sure Vincent Price could think of other things he would do to a tied up John Kerr😉
  21. TheCid

Trump vs. Mueller investigation?

I can go along with that.
  22. jaragon

Memorable Music!

And he sings too!
  23. TopBilled

*A to Z of Movies*

DINNER AT EIGHT (1933)
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here