3. MarshaKatz

TWO word titles

DECONSTRUCTING HARRY (1997)
  4. MarshaKatz

THREE word titles

FOLLOW THE FLEET (1936)
  5. speedracer5

Your Favorite Potent Potable with a Movie

I don't even like martinis (well at least gin ones, maybe a vodka one would be better?), but I think they would pair well with any of The Thin Man films. I would also pair Gin, maybe a nice Gin like Tanqueray 10, with Casablanca. I would drink a SoCo and Coke with Gone With the Wind. I like this thread, I am still considering other potent potables.
  6. MarshaKatz

A to Z of Characters

Master Harold, played by Matthew Broderick in "Master Harold...and the Boys" (1985 TV Movie)
  7. MarshaKatz

*A to Z of Movies*

HOLD BACK THE DAWN
  8. MarshaKatz

*A to Z of actresses and actors*:)

Revill, Clive
  9. MarshaKatz

Actor/Movie Association Game

Debbie Reynolds
  10. MarshaKatz

ClassiCategories

THE OMEN ROSEMARY'S BABY THE HAUNTING
  11. hamradio

Faust (1926)

Recorded it, will watch it later.
  12. JakeHolman

M A G A >> WINNING! NO COLLUSION NO OBSTRUCTION

2 Samuel 22:29 29 You, LORD, are my lamp; the LORD turns my darkness into light.
  13. speedracer5

I Just Watched...

Judy (2019) I saw Renee Zellweger's performance biopic of Judy Garland this past weekend in downtown Portland. I thought the film was excellent. I saw the film at a local art house/independent theater, but it was also showing at the regular Regal/Cinemark theaters as well. For the record, my theater was sold out. Judy depicts the last year or so of Judy Garland's life (1968-early 1969). The film begins with Judy and her children (Lorna and Joey Luft) being kicked out of their Roosevelt Hotel suite due to Judy's inability to pay her bills to the hotel. All of Judy's accounts are in arrears-- she has no money, and no home. With nowhere else to go, she takes the children to ex-husband Sidney Luft's home so that the kids can get some sleep and get to school the next day. Sidney is justifiably angry to be awoken at 1am by Judy and even more upset that the children are up so late on a school night. He's frustrated that Judy cannot get it together for the sake of their children and basically makes it clear that the children need a more stable environment. He tells Judy to leave the kids with him and essentially kicks her out of the house. Judy ends up visiting daughter Liza Minnelli at a party. She meets Mickey Deans (who would become her 5th and final husband). At first I thought Mickey Deans was Benicio Del Toro and I was fascinated by how young he appeared. Then I obviously realized that it wasn't him. Judy ends up spending the night at the party with Mickey--in a platonic fashion, I think. She eventually has a meeting with an agent who tells Judy that there may be an opportunity for her to make some good money in London if she appears in a series of nightclub performances. Judy is reluctant to leave her children, but the agent points out that 1) she's broke and 2) she's homeless. She will not get custody of her children with no money or a home. Judy decides to take the job. While in London, we see Judy have multiple issues with her substance abuse problems and unreliability. A young woman, Rosalyn, is assigned as Judy's assistant while she's in London, but it's clear from the beginning that Rosalyn is going to end up babysitting Judy. Judy's performances at the nightclub oscillate between being spectacular to complete disasters. There are some sweet moments interspersed between Judy's tumultuous professional and personal life. The ending of the film was particularly poignant and powerful. As Judy makes her way through her London engagement, she occasionally sees/hears things that trigger memories of her time making The Wizard of Oz at MGM. Judy's present day life is juxtaposed with flashback sequences featuring a young Judy Garland being "encouraged" by Louis B. Mayer to cooperate with MGM. She's constantly reminded that MGM will make her a star, she'll be special, etc. We see Judy's shrew of a stage mom doing everything to follow MGM's directions and ensure that Judy will remain the cash cow that she is. We're also introduced to the root cause of Judy's substance abuse: the pills that she was given to suppress her appetite and fall asleep. Zellweger gives a tour de force performance in this film and I am sure she'll receive an Oscar nomination. I appreciated that she didn't try to make her voice sound like Garland's, but rather she spoke with the same inflections and mannerisms as Garland. Tone-wise, Zellweger's voice does not sound like Garland's in the slightest, but she did an excellent job acting and sounding like Garland. Her singing was excellent--especially her performance of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." This was a great film, not worth all the premature criticism it has been receiving.
  14. Bogie56

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

‘Vile and horrific’: Fake video of Trump massacring media shown at his Miami resort draws backlash By Allyson Chiu ● Read more »
  15. Bogie56

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Are you happy now, Trump supporters? Opinion ● By Max Boot ● Read more »
  16. Today
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us