All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Dr. Somnambula

Bad (old?) link in top menu...

For reasons unknown, the main menus are not consistent.
  3. slaytonf

How is the exact length of a film determined?

There is no standard, or agency that promotes one. There might be as many methods as there are people who care to measure movies. I think most would agree that a movie's time runs from the first logo to when the last credit crawls up off the top of the screen. There are different released versions of many movies, some famously, some from country to country. During the production code era states and even individual projectionists would take it upon themselves to edit out parts of movies they found objectionable, leading to myriad different prints. How many of those remain I'm not sure, but if you are attentive, you can see where bits of dialogue too racy or otherwise have been clipped out.
  4. speedracer5

Noir Alley

I hope this isn’t too personal, but how does the noir festival work? Do you buy a pass and see the films? Do you have to pay for each film?? Is the festival expensive?
  5. Brad Pitt films are banned in China because he made a pro-Tibet movie (Seven Years in Tibet).
  6. overeasy

Noir Alley

If anyone is in the DC-area at the Noir City festival in Silver Spring, hope you're enjoying it as much as I am! Eddie Mueller did an intro to tonight's showing of The City That Never Sleeps. A genuine thrill to meet him. Much more to go!
  7. ka-ching ... 650 million and climbing ...
  8. Gershwin fan

Democratic Debate

Is there a politician today who isn't? Though yes, she should just shut up. This is seriously embarrassing.
  9. Today
  10. TomJH

I Just Watched...

Swing Your Lady (1938) Humphrey Bogart in a hillbilly wrestling comedy with musical numbers. How can it miss? One of the prices that Bogie paid as a Warner Bros contract player in his pre-stardom days, in this film he's cast as a fast talking wrestling promoter travelling in the sticks with his wrestler and two assistants looking for a local opponent to take on his wrestling star. Nat Pendleton plays the slow thinkin', slow talkin' wrassler who gets kinda sweet on a big boned female blacksmith, played by Louise Fazenda. Penny Singleton plays Bogart's girl who suddenly shows up in the small town, with Frank McHugh and Allen Jenkins as the two assistants. A very young Ronald Reagan can also be spotted in a couple of scenes as a reporter. Dumb and unsophisticated comedy, to put it mildly. You may find it mildly amusing in an awful sort of way if you're in a proper mood for it. But there were three musical numbers, one a ho down dance done to the title song of "Swing Your Lady," sung by Singleton, that I found pretty difficult to get through. Bogart is nowhere to be seen during any of the musical numbers, probably arguing with his agent to find out if there was still a contract loop hole allowing him out of the picture. TCM shows this film on occasion, which may have the ghost of Bogart shaking his head. The actor, by the way, called Swing Your Lady his worst film. 2 out of 4
  11. Peebs

Cinema Segue

I Walk Alone in the Dark
  12. Peebs

Movies That Make a Statement

I Walk Alone (1947)
  13. Peebs

The First Film That Comes to Mind...

The Fury (1978) Next: another Brian De Palma movie
  14. Peebs

Name a Celebrity - Name a Movie

Shirley Temple was in "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" with Randolph Scott
  15. Peebs

*A to Z of Movies*

Vanishing Point (1971)
  16. Peebs

A to Z of Characters

Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory)
  17. Peebs

*A to Z of actresses and actors*:)

Ostrum, Peter
  18. Peebs

Actor/Movie Association Game

Young Man with a Horn (1950)
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?