All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. cigarjoe

FORGOTTEN Oldies

Squeeze Box - The Who
  3. Hibi

Noir Alley

No discussion about the film itself? I'd seen the movie for the first time about a year ago (unsure if it was on Noir Alley or not). Overall a superior B with great dialog. But the movie's big hole: You'd think the police would've known what the mobster looked like and not have been fooled......
  4. TheCid

2020 Election

Your post above this one answers mine re: Warren's positions turning off majority of voters. I stated that those positions (from Warren or any Dem) will turn off majority of voters in NOVEMBER in the general election. The independents, conservative Dems, moderate GOPers, etc. This is what happened in 2010 and to some degree in 2012 and 2014 except for Obama.
  5. They ARE nuts! And big time spongers who sponged off of Bette their entire lives (until she wrote the book!).
  6. MovieCollectorOH

Why do some classic movie fans bash newer films?

Hmm Lemme guess. He's still DOD. Do I get a cookie?
  7. Yeah, her book was much ado about mostly nothing. She and her hubby sponged off of Bette their whole lives (that was not in the book). Then BD acts all put out and petty putting up with Bette basically acting like Bette. Then she writes the book when Bette is deathly ill knowing how it would hit her. Now she's some wacko minister. Glad she and her spawn were cut out of Bette's will.
  8. He was busted to buck private and is peeling potatoes and cleaning latrines.
  9. laffite

Welcome Back, Dude

Rather unlikely that db would get such a reception from this source. Unless we can either see facetiousness or total irony (or both).
  10. cigarjoe

Robert Mueller submits Russia report

Maybe so, but did you predict that Twump would win?
  11. TopBilled

Name the comedy

THE GAZEBO (1959) Next: Van Johnson
  12. TopBilled

ONE word titles

From 1973
  13. TopBilled

TWO word titles

From 1953
  14. TopBilled

*A to Z of Movies*

ZOO IN BUDAPEST (1933)
  15. TopBilled

Adapt Ability

DUST BE MY DESTINY (1939) Next: Tom Wolfe
  16. MovieCollectorOH

Why do some classic movie fans bash newer films?

By now quite a few people are accustomed to just talking into their smart phones to do certain things like compose text messages, get street directions, or ask about anything in general. It is a convenience, and every convenience comes at a cost. Nothing provided by any corporation is for free, and unlimited data storage and forensics is really cheap these days. "Please, do tell me more about yourself so I can better assist you, friend." People within that group are also likely to just "repost" each other's gak on sites like Twitter and Facebook, not unlike someone who has never heard of literary synthesis before. The extent of the content of most activity is basically just different variants of ">>This!!<<", "Look at me!!", or "Lulz!". Those systems are designed to encourage lower-order primal thinking at that. That is potentially from the same group of people who are likely to order a ride. Not entirely, and I do realize I am painting with a wide brush here, but after all you are talking to people who ordered a ride through a cell phone app. At the very least I am genuinely glad for you and it warms my heart that you are able to personally benefit in some tangible way, as well as some intangible ways, from this form of vapid consumerism which has fostered so much dependency. Everything here exists in varying degrees though, and there is probably some truth to what you are hearing. There are also many who you aren't hearing from, and therein lies what is probably the biggest challenge of all to TCM's Marketing dept. I don't think the longevity of movie theaters has much to do with this, other than the occasional special TCM-affiliated productions introduced by Ben M., or the historically significant theaters which we should keep running for historic value and for classic film festivals. I do miss the drive-ins though.
  17. TopBilled

*A to Z of actresses and actors*:)

Nelligan, Kate
  18. LawrenceA

I Just Watched...

Il Posto (1961) - 8/10 Italian drama about a young man (Sandro Panseri) who ventures out into the working world of Milan. He applies for a job at a huge corporation, for which he takes a battery of tests. He meets and falls for a young woman (Loredana Detto) who has also applied. However, it doesn't take long for the young man to realize the dull, banal life that he has locked himself into. Director Ermanno Olmi uses some Neo-Realist touches to add verisimilitude to the drab, gray world that the young man faces. Authentic, appealing performances from the two leads help cement the shambling narrative, and keep things from becoming too dreary. In fact, there's a distinct vein of black comedy running throughout. Recommended. Source: TCM
  19. LawrenceA

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

Here are some behind-the-scenes deaths from recent weeks: Kazuo Koike (May 8, 1936 - April 17, 2019) Japanese manga writer who was responsible for the long-running Lone Wolf and Cub books, as well as their film versions, as well as Lady Snowblood, also adapted into a film series, and Crying Freeman, which served as the basis for an anime TV series and a live-action film. David V. Picker (May 14, 1931 - April 20, 2019) American producer and studio head who oversaw such films as Lenny (1974), Smile (1975), The Jerk (1979), and The Man with Two Brains (1982). At various times he served as CEO or studio head of United Artists, Paramount Pictures, Lorimar, Columbia Pictures, and Hallmark Entertainment. Steve Gollin (March 6, 1955 - April 21, 2019) American producer who headed Propaganda Films from 1986 to 1999, after which he formed a new production company, Anonymous Content. His companies produced or helped produce The Game (1997), Being John Malkovich (1999), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), and the TV series True Detective (2014-) and Mr. Robot (2015-). He earned Oscar nominations for Babel (2006) and The Revenant (2015), and won an Oscar for producing Spotlight (2015). Terry Rawlings (1933 - April 23, 2019) British film editor whose works included The Sentinel (1977), Yentl (1983), Legend (1985), GoldenEye (1995), and The Phantom of the Opera (2004), among others, He earned BAFTA nominations for Alien (1979) and Blade Runner (1982), and an Oscar nomination for Chariots of Fire (1981).
  20. Today
  21. Bogie56

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Good place to write a best seller in time for a 2020 release.
  22. bluebirdsfly

Moore, Mary Tyler
  23. bluebirdsfly

*A to Z of Movies*

Skipping X Yellow Rolls-Royce, The (1965)
  24. scsu1975

a new hate target for the left: Kate Smith

The real issue here is, what does the fifty-foot woman have to do with Kate Smith? I mean, did Kate ever sing "I'm Just Wild About Harry?"
  25. Terrence1

Lawrence, Joey
  26. Terrence1

The First Film That Comes to Mind...

Beauty and the Beast Next: Cleaning House
  27. Terrence1

Name the comedy

Murder on the Blackboard Next: Glenn Ford
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here