All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Wait, book? I thought you were talking about a podcast. What's the title of the book?
  3. trump's problem with that pesky First Amendment Freedom of the Press is that the American mainstream media has a tendency to publish and broadcast the truth and uncover what actually is going on illegally behind closed doors.
  4. sewhite2000

Double Indemnity Query

Somebody probably knows the backstory much better than me, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere MGM snatched up the rights to Postman but figured the Code would never approve a film version, not to mention Louis B. Mayer was always horrified for his studio to release any salacious material. But after Paramount got Double Indemnity past the censors, only then did MGM's property get greenlit. Something like that.
  5. mr6666

The Triumph of Donald Trump

Trump's former generals, from James Mattis to Joseph Votel, sound an unprecedented warning From the beginning of his tenure, the president has given critics plenty of reasons to be excoriated. But we have heard little dissent from warriors — until now. ..... , Mattis is merely the latest in a line of commanding officers who have recently rebuked the president’s decisions. This collective decision to go against such entrenched military traditions should give their warnings even more weight. When the generals are speaking out, something is really wrong. .... When warriors of the caliber of Mattis and McRaven or Votel and Allen publicly reprove the president, citizens may properly conclude that our national security decision-making is truly dysfunctional and that the nation is dangerously at risk. ..... https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-s-former-generals-james-mattis-joseph-votel-sound-unprecedented-ncna1069771?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma
  6. Princess of Tap

The Fruits of White Supremacy-- Murder and Violence

Yes, the US president is the Central Park 5/ birther.
  7. Princess of Tap

Putin and Erdogan playing cat and mouse with the Kurds.
  8. Princess of Tap

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Love Bobby's "Blue on Blue" written by Hal David and Burt Bacharach. But in General stuff like "roses are red" are teenage fluff, which sold millions of copies. LOL But Bobby is no Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis jr., Steve Lawrence, Eddie Fisher, Jack Jones, Vic Damone, Tony Bennett and my personal favorite Nat King Cole, plus I don't want to leave out Mel Torme, and the Heavenly Johnny Mathis-- just to name a few of the best. However, the Polish Prince has his fans, apparently.
  9. mr6666

Democrats Begin Impeachment of Trump

Congresswoman Mary Gay Scanlon @RepMGS . @RepJerryNadler just asked each witness in the @HouseJudiciary hearing on Election Security whether it was appropriate for a president to ask a foreign country to investigate a political opponent. 3/4 witnesses said no. The witness who refused to answer was from DOJ.
  10. Peebs

THREE word titles

O Lucky Man! (1973)
  11. Fedya

I Just Watched...

Men of the North (1930). I'm sure our Canadian viewers will enjoy this thoroughly accurate look at life in the Great White North. Gilbert Roland plays a French-Canadian trapper who falls in love with the daughter of the new owner of the gold mine, while Roland's old girlfriend, feeling jilted, accuses Roland of stealing gold from the mine. Roland helps save a lot of people from the snow. Almost every stereotype of Canada you can imagine is here, making this one an interesting experience. 5/10 for the unintentional laughs.
  12. Peebs

ONE word titles

Election (1999)
  13. Peebs

Actor/Movie Association Game

Glory (1989)
  14. This isn't legitimate music?
  15. AndreaDoria

Double Indemnity Query

I like all the movies taken from Cain's novels. I first read, "The Postman Always Rings Twice," condensed in my family's "Saturday Evening Post" -- or was it "Life", I'm not sure. Anyway, it was quite educational for a ten year old girl.
  16. mr6666

TCM Premieres

Wed., 10-23........ 5:15 PM (ET) B/W - 68 m Private Buckaroo (1942) Synopsis: follows the story of Army trainees during and after basic training, ... The diversion is provided by some of the best and most popular musical acts of the day. Dir: Edward F. Cline Cast: The Andrews Sisters , Dick Foran , Joe E. Lewis . " This is one of those quickies put out during the war years as short (in this case, just over an hour) diversions for homefront audiences and GIs in training camps and overseas. Since it came fairly early in the war (May 1942 premiere) and follows the story of Army trainees during and after basic training, this also served as an upbeat recruitment tool. ... http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/87194/Private-Buckaroo/articles.html LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW: 😧 Edward Cline. The Andrews Sisters, Dick Foran, Joe E. Lewis, Donald O'Connor, Peggy Ryan, Jennifer Holt. Mini-musical from Universal Pictures is vehicle for 1940s favorite sister trio, accompanied by Harry James et al. in Army camp show.
  17. slaytonf

30s Cartoon

What talk?
  18. skimpole

What movie should have won the most oscars?

Now it's 1999. Movie with the most nominations: American Beauty (8) Movie with the most awards: American Beauty (5) My choice for the most nominations: Time Regained (13) My choice for the most awards: Time Regained (8-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Foreign Language Film, Adapted Screenplay, Art Direction, Cinematography) Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: No
  19. Today
  20. mr6666

Matthew Dowd @matthewjdowd · 23h Let us remember that President Trump has spent more taxpayer money at his own resorts than President Obama took in salary in 8 years.
  21. Det Jim McLeod

I Just Watched...

I love this one as well 9/10. I have read a lot about the real life Zodiac case, which was of today has not been solved. I think it helps to know about the case beforehand, because you really have to pay attention when watching this film in order to catch everything that is happening. It is a treat for film buffs as well, Insp, Toschi was the inspiration for Bullitt, Steve McQueen hung out with him when researching the role and had a copy made of the unusual holster for his gun.In the film, reporter Paul Avery sarcastically calls Toschi "Bullitt". Dirty Harry also was inspired by the Zodiac case, as tough Insp. Harry Callahan is in pursuit of a mad San Francisco sniper. The Most Dangerous Game (1932) is mentioned in the film as well, Graysmith thinks Zodiac may be obsessed with the story of mad Count Zaroff who hunts humans. The chief suspect (played by John Carroll Lynch) admits to loving this story, in a great scene where he is questioned by the 3 detectives.
  22. AndreaDoria

I Just Watched...

We enjoyed it. Narrator while Nick and Debra were dancing, "Nobody thought to tell them that they weren't any good." We've found that line useful so many times.
  23. laffite

the democrat impeachment lynching scam

Have you ever responded to a post of his? Perhaps you haven't, or at least not lately, not sure. Maybe you have already forsworn the practice, since to merely respond to a post might be considered to be playing his game. If, however, it is possible to respond and be invulnerable to the charge of playing his game, then it would be through a mild and gentle rebuke and be done with it. I plead guilty to that. It's more akin to a kibbitz than to a "game." What I won't do is what I just saw on either here or another thread just today is the attempt to actually try to reason with him at length. I have learned that Nipkowdisc thrives on this and will pounce on it with glee at every opportunity, it's the game he loves. The post in question was lengthy and replete with nuance and with the purpose to persuade. Without casting aspersions on Nipkowdisc' character (this is not so much about him personally as it about the Right), it is a complete waste of time to add grey (nuance) to any picture that will be shown to those who only see black and white.
  24. mr6666

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

CBS News @CBSNews Mitch McConnell tells @nancycordes that he did not talk to President Trump about the infamous call with Ukraine's president — contradicting Trump's claim that McConnell said the call was "perfect" and "innocent" http://cbsnews.com/live
  25. Gershwin fan

Trump vs Turkey & Kurdish allies....

"Mandate of Heaven" Donald Trump is Confuciuanist now?
  26. mr6666

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Feds charge California investor who donated $900K to Trump inaugural committee Imaad Zuberi pleaded guilty to making almost $1 million in illegal campaign contributions to various presidential election campaigns and other candidates for elected office. ".......Zuberi's name surfaced last February amid reports that Trump's former personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, was questioned about Zuberi in the process of providing information to federal prosecutors investigating the Trump Organization and the Trump Inaugural Committee. Zuberi issued a $100,000 check to Cohen as part of a consulting agreement in February 2017, Zuberi's spokesman told NBC News. That was two months after he made the almost $1 million donation to the Trump inaugural committee, federal records show......... https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/feds-charge-california-investor-who-donated-900k-trump-inaugural-committee-n1070201?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us