All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Gershwin fan

Racism in Trump's America

I bet the guy that burst into tears over the new Xth Disney Star Wars sequel would just love that. "Oh my god! My favorite company. How do they keep making this more and more epic! I want 50!"
  3. Gershwin fan

TCM relaunches The Essentials on May the 4th

Yeah, I saw it and the intro was okay and I always love seeing that film so this week gets a good score by me.
  4. dagoldenage

1952 - one opinion

Top 10 movies1. Singin’ in the Rain2. High Noon3. Bad and the Beautiful, The4. Sudden Fear5. 5 Fingers6. Come Back, Little Sheba7. Limelight8. Narrow Margin, The9. Pat and Mike10. Clash by NightBest Actor: Kirk Douglas (The Bad and the Beautiful)Best Actress: Shirley Booth (Come Back, Little Sheba)Supporting Actor: Charles Laughton (O. Henry’s Full House)Supporting Actress: Jean Hagen (Singin’ in the Rain)Note: I included Lavender Hill Mob with 1952 due to Academy eligibility; but not Umberto D for same reason.Titles watched: 114TV watched: 14 shows, 85 episodes.
  5. Princess of Tap

First Movie SONG That Comes to Mind

"Clang clang clang went the trolley....."Judy's "Trolley Song " from Meet Me In St Louis Next: A song about another famous street in a big city
  6. Princess of Tap

Name the pre-1970 film

Upon keeping his date, the lawyer finds his ex murdered.
  7. Princess of Tap

Password TCM

Dream Home Broken promise
  8. Princess of Tap

Name a Celebrity - Name a Movie

Joan Leslie danced with Fred Astaire in "The Sky's the Limit.
  9. Swithin

First Movie SONG That Comes to Mind

I am cheating here, but I couldn't resist. And she was a film star; and the montage is movie-related: "Turn Me Loose on Broadway" sung by Bette Davis in the Broadway musical Two's Company Next: Song mentioning a bus, or streetcar, or taxi
  10. Princess of Tap

Do You Know Me?

Yes and I was writing all that as you were writing it too. LOL And thank you for mentioning the work of the University of Kansas' and Kansas' own Pulitzer prize-winning playwright, William Inge. I know you appreciate his work because you've mentioned how much you enjoyed "Picnic", "Bus Stop" and "Splendor in the Grass" for which he won the Oscar for Best Screenplay. I shall return.
  11. lavenderblue19

Do You Know Me?

Yes, she's Shirley Booth. Shirley won an Oscar, Emmys and Tonys, good work Princess, your thread.
  12. lavenderblue19

Long Titles (6 words + up)

13. Princess of Tap

Do You Know Me?

Shirley Booth Shirley won the Tony and the Oscar for William Inge's " Come Back Little Sheba ". And she went on to win two Emmy Awards for her role as the Beloved Maid in the NBC sitcom "Hazel".
  14. lavenderblue19

Do You Know Me?

Good guess, but not Spring Byington. This actress had won many awards as I mentioned, including an Oscar
  15. Princess of Tap

TCM relaunches The Essentials on May the 4th

Speaking of Ava DuVernay: I know we're all looking forward to her new series on Netflix concerning The Central Park 5 miscarriage of Justice: "When They See Us" .
  16. TopBilled

Name the Western

THE SHAKIEST GUN IN THE WEST (1968) Next: Dorothy Malone
  17. TopBilled

*A to Z of actresses and actors*:)

Bushman, Francis X.
  18. TopBilled

Who was in all 5 films?

Nancy Olson. Right?
  19. Princess of Tap

trump gets away with all this stuff because he's got the triple crown-- I'm not talking about horse racing: white, male, and Rich.
  20. Princess of Tap

The trump presidential campaign started with the birthers. They know why they voted for trump.
  21. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Bradley P. Moss‏Verified account@BradMossEsq Bradley P. Moss Retweeted Kevin McCarthy And the moment there was no longer a black guy in the Oval you decided the Constitution no longer mattered.
  22. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Kevin McCarthy‏Verified account@GOPLeader When Republicans won the House in 2010, the very first thing we did was take turns reading the Constitution out loud in the House chamber.
  23. Princess of Tap

You can't be pro-life and pro capital punishment at the same time unless you're racist.
  24. TopBilled

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1962

I still think this is a good year. Lots of interesting titles. Quite a bit of diversity in terms of subject matter. Here's my Top 10: 1. HEMINGWAY'S ADVENTURES OF A YOUNG MAN. Zanuck liked doing adaptations of Hemingway works, and obviously his passion for such material was shared by other people at Fox. The cast is extraordinary. The sequence with Paul Newman is my favorite. And I think Jessica Tandy is very effective in her scenes. The cinematography is excellent. I love almost everything about this film. It's one I can watch over and over. 2. LISA. It's a beautifully made film with sincere performances by the leads. I was glad that Dolores Hart had a chance to introduce this film when she was a Guest Programmer on TCM a few years ago. 3. SATAN NEVER SLEEPS. Clifton Webb's movie swan song. He plays a frustrated priest to perfection. The film pushes the limits with regards to the production code. A murderous communist is forgiven by the church and turned into a loving family man. The whole thing is improbable but it contains truths about forgiveness and truths about how a church might bring about reform. Holden gives a poignant performance as a fellow priest. It's an uneven masterpiece, but I do like this film very much. 4. GIGOT. Jackie Gleason wants to be taken seriously as a lead in a movie, doing some comedy and drama (without dialogue). It's a unique film, directed by Gene Kelly of all people, and made in France. I think Gleason really believed in the character and that makes all the difference. 5. THE LONGEST DAY. I enjoyed it. But it's too long. And most of the roles seem like excuses to cram another big name into the cast. It needed to be simplified. 6. STATE FAIR. Pat Boone gives a winning performance in this remake. Ann-Margret is good too. Best thing is Alice Faye, returning to Fox after a 17 year strike against Zanuck. Boone convinced her to take the role and finally fulfill her contract (she had owed Fox one more movie ever since FALLEN ANGEL). 7. THE 300 SPARTANS. Richard Egan at his peak, in a larger than life historical epic with all the trimmings. Good supporting cast, capable direction by Rudolph Mate. 8. MADISON AVENUE. The third of four for Crain and Andrews. Eleanor Parker gives the best performance. 9. THE LION. Holden's work on this film caused him to develop an interest in wildlife preservation. 10. MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION. Good cast elevates material. But it could have been better.
  25. Today
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us