All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. mr6666

The Triumph of Donald Trump

Mick Mulvaney Says the Quiet Part Out Loud The head of the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau tells it like it is: If you want access to policymakers, it’s helpful to donate lots of money. But that doesn’t seem to bother him. "If you want to play, you better pay. ........ Mulvaney has pulled the bureau’s regulatory efforts back on multiple fronts, and asked for a budget of $0 for the year (while doling out fat raises to staffers). In one notable instance, he dropped a long-running case against payday lenders, then tried to claim that career staff had recommended the move. A spokesman later acknowledged to NPR that this was a lie ......... Politics is a caste system, with access available to the highest bidders and all others left to get by with what they can, and hope they have a member of Congress who sits on an influential committee. For Mulvaney, evidently, that is less a bug than a feature. There was a time when such comments would have drawn rebukes, from the president or by members of Congress. Democrats will surely have plenty to say, but don’t expect much backlash from Republicans.... https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/04/mick-mulvaneys-guide-to-navigating-the-swamp/558890/
  3. Terrence1

describe the scene game

Thanks, Bagel. That's a fun movie. I'm glad you thought of it. OK, let's try this one: A young wife takes advantage of her husband being away, and she invites two co-workers over and they up getting stoned.
  4. lavenderblue19

Theme Songs That Fit A Movie or TV Show Perfectly

I use to watch and love the tv show Monk. The theme song written and sung by Randy Newman was so perfect for the show. The original music theme was great but the Randy Newman theme song with lyrics described the show perfectly.
  5. MovieCollectorOH

TCM re-launches The Essentials on May 4

Okay how about Dick Cavett and Rex Reed.
  6. CinemaInternational

Nice to see mention of Claudine from 1974. It's really a wonderful film, and Diahann Carroll and James Earl Jones both shine in it.
  7. Terrence1

Name the comedy

The Marrying Kind Next: Ruth Donnelly
  8. Terrence1

Actor/Movie Association Game

While the City Sleeps
  9. Terrence1

A to Z of Characters

Vessey, Carol, played by Julie Bowen on Ed
  10. Terrence1

*A to Z of Movies*

Never on Sunday
  11. Terrence1

*A to Z of actresses and actors*:)

Irish, Tom
  12. Ava DuVernay‏Verified account @ava 4h4 hours ago This was a geeky black girl filmlover’s dream. Thanks to @TCM for inviting me to share films that I love all year. Starting May 4 through December, I screen some of my favorites and talk them out with the fab @BenMank77. Had a total blast. Hope you enjoy! xo
  13. MovieCollectorOH

Where movie characters live

I think there are still some waiting to get out.
  14. Hibi

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

LOL. And DUMP is sane??????
  15. LawrenceA

I Just Watched...

Paris Belongs to Us (1961) - 5/10 French drama about a college student (Betty Schneider) who becomes wrapped up in the mysterious goings on among a group of intellectuals known by her older brother. One of their number recently committed suicide, and Schneider worries more and more about the reasons why, and begins to fear that others may follow his lead. Also featuring Giani Esposito, Francoise Prevost, Daniel Crohem, Francois Maistre, Jean-Claude Brialy, and cameos by Jean-Luc Godard, Claude Lelouch, Jacques Demy, and this film's writer-director Jacques Rivette. This is yet another French New Wave film that people heap with praise that I found dull, ponderous, banal, and visually inert. There are some clumsy camera movements that add nothing to the mood or narrative, and seem only to remind the viewer that the director was present. The story lacks a conclusion, and it's left up to the audience to decide if there was anything sinister going on, or if they all just suffered from Cold war-era nihilistic ennui. Blech. Source: The Criterion Channel
  16. MovieCollectorOH

Or how about Dick Cavett https://www.gilbertpodcast.com/dick-cavett/ Heck, just bring on Cavett himself.
  17. Hibi

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Just say NO!
  18. Hibi

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

LOL. DUMP never pays his bills!!!
  19. mr6666

Lis Power‏ @LisPower1 Fox host accidentally admits that Russian interference cost Democrats the election. (I really hope Trump was watching.) FRANCIS: Democrats "care about Russia now because it cost them an election."
  20. mr6666

Mueller report shows Trump campaign left itself wide open to Russians, officials say "The Russians found a group of people who were not intelligence savvy" and didn't listen to U.S. intel officials, said a CIA veteran. "The Russians made a very bold and aggressive attempt to take advantage of that — to try to compromise people, to try to leverage their access." ....... https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/mueller-report-shows-trump-campaign-left-itself-wide-open-russians-n997716
  21. TopBilled

Movies by Number

40 CARATS (1973)
  22. Trump goes to war for power over Congress Analysis: Critics say the president is abusing his authority so badly that he could be impeached for actions that having nothing to do with Russia. "....— as evidenced by a steady stream of angry tweets and threats of retribution against adversaries real and perceived — and his willingness to thumb his front tooth at Congress. The result is an escalating assertion of the presidency as the dominant branch of government in a war over the balance of power. The battle has implications for the rest of Trump's first term, his re-election bid and the institutional authorities at the heart of American democracy. There's even some thought that Trump is now baiting the House to impeach him...... .... "At the same time, this is not same-old, same-old. He is taking longstanding pathologies in terms of an increasingly imperial executive branch and ratcheting it up many times over." ..... Increasingly, constitutional experts say that Trump's actions, both within the context of the just-released special counsel report and outside it, represent abuses of office so serious they could rise to the constitutional impeachment standard of "high crimes and misdemeanors." "The report’s details add to an existing body of information already in the public domain documenting the president’s violations of his oath, including but not limited to his denigration of the free press, verbal attacks on members of the judiciary, encouragement of law enforcement officers to violate the law, and incessant lying to the American people,"....... ...the response to Trump will be important for the future of the balance of power. "The big question is, will the Trump administration be a turning point that leads us to address some of these longstanding pathologies, particularly executive imperialism and Congress' abdication, or whether it is going to lead us to accept ever greater imbalance of power?" she said. "I think we're at a real turning point and it can go one way or the other." https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-goes-war-power-over-congress-n998241?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma
  23. MovieCollectorOH

Well, It's happened again. . . .

I just have twice in 2000.
  24. TopBilled

*A to Z of actresses and actors*:)

Harper, Valerie
  25. TopBilled

*A to Z of Movies*

MY FRIEND IRMA (1949)
  26. yanceycravat

Well, It's happened again. . . .

That had to be a long, long time ago. I don't recall TCM ever having shown that. One of my favorites is the very quiet, All the Way Home (1963). There's a great moment when he gives his kid some money to get an ice cream and a movie so he and his wife (played by Jean Simmons) can be "alone". Robert Preston is truly wonderful in this often overlooked film.
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us