All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. cathi314

TCM Backlot Local - Middle Tennessee

Great, oldmoviegirl! I'm going to message others in this thread who expressed interest in the past and see if we can scrape together at least two more people to get this going. Cross your fingers.
  3. another delightful scene with Doris
  4. TopBilled

A to Z of Characters

O'Reilly, Radar -- played by Gary Burghoff in the movie and TV version of M*A*S*H
  5. TopBilled

Long Titles (6 words + up)

HOW TO LOSE FRIENDS & ALIENATE PEOPLE (2008)
  6. TopBilled

*A to Z of Movies*

THE FISHER KING (1991)
  7. TopBilled

ONE word titles

From 1943
  8. laffite

outstanding music thread

I saw This Island Earth in its original release on a Saturday afternoon at the local theater (for 15 cents) and it scared the holy crap out of me.
  9. Terrence1

*A to Z of Movies*

Edward, My Son
  10. Terrence1

A to Z of Characters

Naylor, Tony, played by Howard Keel in "Lovely to Look At"
  11. TopBilled

Actor/Movie Association Game

I'm a bit confused because George Reeves isn't in this film. Were you replying to someone else's post?
  12. Terrence1

Name a Celebrity - Name a Movie

Ray Bolger was in "April in Paris" with Ethel Barrymore.
  13. TopBilled

*A to Z of Movies*

DRYLONGSO (1998)
  14. Terrence1

*A to Z of Movies*

Comanche Territory
  15. TopBilled

Movies That Make a Statement

A MAN IS MOSTLY WATER (2000)
  16. GGGGerald

ClassiCategories

Three Way Shootout - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966) Any Which Way You Can - (1980)
  17. TopBilled

TWO word titles

From 1999
  18. Princess of Tap

WEST SIDE STORY

The role called for a trained voice with an operatic range like the one Carol Lawrence had for the Broadway stage when she introduced the role of Maria. When you're doing a great musical for posterity it's a shame to mess it up with either a movie star who can't sing or being forced to have a professional singer dub the movie star. I think that Deborah Kerr's dubbing by Marni Nixon worked so well because the material was not that difficult to sing and you could believe that someone one with a limited voice could handle that kind of music. The public at the time was so aware and enjoying the television performances of Carol Lawrence and Julie Andrews both on regular variety shows and on specials that they had an expectation for those roles to begin with. Not to mention what the composers were going to demand. Audrey Hepburn thinking she could sing the role of Eliza Doolittle on Julie Andrews' level was a sick joke. She had sung a little in "Funny Face, but primarily she was presenting her credibility as a dancer, a model and an actress in that movie. The loss of Julie Andrews in "My Fair Lady" is for another thread but it's something that is a 20th century Hollywood musical tragedy.
  19. laffite

I Just Watched...

I am a fan of Public Fears in Public Places (2006), an excellent film that is not to be judged by its jacket cover (I should post it but I'm too lazy right now). They all look so happy, for one thing. And for another, there is no fun and frolic and for another still no more than two of the six character appears in the same scene (with one superficial exception). A very funny film that has rather keen dark undertones.
  20. GGGGerald

*A to Z of Movies*

Buck Privates (1941)
  21. Princess of Tap

I Just Watched...

The original was screwball perfection. And the more I read about Something's Gotta Give, Marilyn Monroe's unfinished film which this thing is supposed to be a co substitute for-- The more I regret that it was never finished because the casting and the script looks so good. The few scenes that were shot by George Cukor are on YouTube and are absolutely beautiful.
  22. Princess of Tap

Name the pre-1970 film

They meet a cute young girl who is performing in a nightclub.
  23. Princess of Tap

Supporting Ladies only please

Arlene was in " Murders in the Rue Morgue " with Sidney Fox.
  24. laffite

I Just Watched...

The proof is in the pudding. What do the critics know? ...but I admire your analysis all the same.
  25. LawrenceA

I Just Watched...

I felt those little bursts of images, made with rapid-fire edits, were Resnais trying to visualize the fragmentary nature of thought and memory, how one's attention at any given moment may jump rapidly across many different things and even different times, as images, sounds, smells or feelings trigger memories and reminisces. I thought it was similar, but less successful, to things he was doing in Hiroshima, Mon Amour, and Last Year at Marienbad,
  26. If Nancy Pelosi keeps coming back to impeachment, it's because the raving lunatic in the WH keeps giving her reason. He continues to try to cover up his crimes, keeps ordering staff not to testify to Congress, even though they already have to Mueller. He doesn't want it to be known what he has done, so he buries the unredacted Mueller Report, refuses to let Congress look at the evidence to support its conclusions, and as mentioned, keeps trying to keep people from again testifying. He keeps stonewalling and covering up. He keeps digging his own political grave. And yes, the 25th Amendment is more relevant than ever; this president cannot or will not carry out his constitutional duties. He said so himself yesterday. Pelosi may be trying to hold the dam from cracking on the impeachment issue, but Trump keeps making it harder to keep it from happening. The Effing Moron is deathly afraid of his truths coming out, and the then-inevitable impeachment inquiries. He is bluffing when he claims otherwise. As for mean-spirited comments and insults, Donald Trump is the master of that. Shows that he can't take the kind of treatment that he dishes out. HE has denigrated the highest office of the land, and made a Mickey of it. Pelosi, otoh, had been overly restrained for far too long when confronted by the Bullying Orange Menace.
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us