All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Peebs

A to Z of Characters

Ruettiger, Daniel "Rudy" (Sean Aston i. "Rudy")
  3. DJBeacon

Your Favorite Potent Potable with a Movie

speedracer5, Those sound like some great choices and pairings. I'm a very dry vodka martini guy, depending on the mood, sometimes a twist and sometimes a few blue cheese stuffed olives. And they both would work well with the Thin Man flicks, probably more with the twist. And maybe a Gimlet with Nick and Nora. Just bought a fantastic tequila, Clase Azul Reposado, and that would be so nice to slip along with "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". CHEERS!!
  4. BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls

Briefly Lyrical

"When I See An Elephant Fly" from Dumbo, with lyrics by Ned Washington and music by Oliver Wallace
  5. Peebs

Actor/Movie Association Game

The Pajama Game (1957)
  6. Paul Robeson Next: bald
  7. DougieB

Top Five Favorite Judy Garland Movie Songs

It probably shouldn't count, but "They Say It's Wonderful" was recorded (in stereo) for the Annie Get Your Gun soundtrack and it's a really nice version. I love "Better Luck Next Time" from Easter Parade, the song she sings alone at the bar after she fled Ann Miller's opening. I also really like "Howdy Neighbor (Happy Harvest)" from Summer Stock, the number she sang on the tractor. ("When you work for Mother Nature, you get paid by Father Time.") And, of course, "Get Happy". "Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart" from Listen, Darling was supposedly her audition song for MGM and became a concert staple, almost as much a signature song as "Over the Rainbow". "The Man That Got Away" was practically a master class in itself. Totally agree with Det. Jim about "But Not For Me". So: (1) "Over the Rainbow" (2) "Get Happy" (3) "The Man That Got Away" (4) "But Not For Me" (5) "Better Luck Next Time".
  8. Peebs

*A to Z of Movies*

Pushover (1954)
  9. Peebs

*A to Z of actresses and actors*:)

Yashere, Gina
  10. Today
  11. Vautrin

HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY

Plus the Irish have their own candidate for supposedly reaching North America before Columbus. Saint Brendan is said to have possibly reached North America in the sixth century AD. Likely more folklore than history, but you never know.
  12. Princess of Tap

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Believe It or Not, these trump people also drugged out images of the late Senator John McCain, President Obama and Hillary Clinton for this obscene video. McCain's Widow, Cindy McCain has already written a response to the video. Understandably she's very upset about it.
  13. Daniel Dale @ddale8 Trump told Pirro on Fox that Zelensky brought up the former US ambassador to Ukraine to him on the call, "out of the blue." The call document shows *Trump* brought her up; Zelensky said, "It was great that you were the first one who told me that she was a bad ambassador..."
  14. mr6666

The Triumph of Donald Trump

Michael McFaul @McFaul · 5h Trump can’t have it both ways. He can’t argue that he wants to bring our heroes home from Syria but then send more of these heroes to Saudi Arabia (just because Saudis paid for their services).
  15. mr6666

The Triumph of Donald Trump

Marco Rubio @marcorubio ISIS killers will now escape & boost chances of a resurgence One of few moderate pro-U.S. groups in region now allied with Assad & Putin Syria’s future now controlled by Russia & Iran. A significant blow to Israel’s security & boost to Iran’s goal of regional dominance 3/3 8:14 AM · Oct 14, 2019
  16. DJBeacon

*A to Z of Movies*

"Odishon" [English = "Audition"] (1999) Not for the meek
  17. EricJ

Top Five Favorite Judy Garland Movie Songs

Darn, can't find it on YouTube, but now I'm hearing Carol Burnett's dead-on parody (from a Mickey & Judy sketch) of Judy's "heartbreaking" contralto-vibrato every time she got a torch song. Once you see it imitated, you can't un-hear it. 😂 And even if the movie itself was pretty poor, Mack the Black was the only other catchy moment from "The Pirate"...Even if you do find yourself subconsciously singing the "Casey Jones" words to it.
  18. mr6666

2020 Election

Democrats Should Heed the Lessons of 2004 To face a monstrous Republican seeking re-election, Democrats chose a moderate, ‘electable’ Senate lifer over an insurgent from Vermont. What about this year? "........the Democratic Party leadership swore to do whatever it took to prevent that outcome from happening twice. As Democratic primary season kicked off in 2003, they dedicated themselves to the pursuit of “electability.” There were other players in that Democratic primary, but the essential drama unfolded between the eventual candidate and a politician from Vermont who had a reputation for yelling a lot and an ambitious plan for a dramatic expansion of publicly provisioned health care, which he called “a moral imperative.” That plan, he noted, could be paid for in part by repealing some highly unpopular, recently enshrined tax cuts. That was Howard Dean, in case you were wondering. Dean had a zealous grassroots organizing network, buoyed by youthful organizers. He had a major advantage in smaller-dollar fundraising thanks to his embrace of internet-based donations. Opposite him was John Kerry, a war hero whose career in politics had been largely inoffensive to that point. He had that elusive “it” factor the Democratic leadership identified as electability, which translated into muted policy ambitions and a biographical backstory that might endear him to Republican swing voters if they squinted hard enough. That all dovetailed conveniently with the Democratic Leadership Council’s mantra of “moderate, moderate, moderate.” So Democratic leadership pushed to elevate Kerry, while stamping out Dean’s insurgency. They ran to the middle, hoping to peel off elusive centrist Bush voters.... In 2004, Democratic leadership, when facing down a bellicose demagogue with a cabal of criminals working for him, shelved a popular, medical-care-driven agenda backed by a network of grassroots organizers in favor of electability, and an “Anybody But” war cry. What proceeded was catastrophic, not just for the Democratic Party, but for the country. If you think Trump is bad in term one, a second term would be profoundly emboldening. ... 2004, whose postmortem called for more ambitious progressive policy and the abandonment of electability as a guiding principle, may be the most relevant to our current day. Unfortunately, Democrats may prove unwilling to learn the lesson. " https://prospect.org/power/democrats-should-heed-the-lessons-of-2004/
  19. DJBeacon

A to Z of Characters

Quigley, Matthew = Tom Selleck in "Quigley Down Under" (1990)
  20. TheCid

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Doesn't matter, Trump will declare Victory anyway. And his supporters will believe him.
  21. TheCid

HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY

Not sure, but I think it is the Catholic connection. Could be wrong though.
  22. LonesomePolecat

Ghost of a Chance

CASPER
  23. mr6666

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Jenny Leonard @jendeben Scoop from my colleagues in Beijing China isn’t ready to sign what Trump calls the “phase one” deal without more talks later this month. Beijing also wants commitments prior to signing that the next round of U.S. tariffs, scheduled for Dec. 15, is off. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-14/china-wants-more-talks-before-signing-trump-s-phase-one-deal
  24. mr6666

Trump vs Turkey & Kurdish allies....

'Too Little, Too Late': Critics Pan Trump Plan to Sanction Turkey "Trump's statement on hitting Turkey with sanctions over the military operation in Syria does not mention the Kurds once." ......Trump announced imminent sanctions that would address "Turkey's destabilizing actions in northeast Syria." Turkish attacks on the Kurds in Syria have horrified the world since beginning last week. The assault has been by all accounts relentless and has resulted in a number of ISIS prisoners being set free from their prisons. Kurdish forces have been at the frontline of fighting the extremist group. ...... NBC reporter Richard Engel observed that the conflagration in northeast Syria is part of a broader theme emerging across the region where borders are being redrawn. It's not just Turkey—as Common Dreams reported on Sunday, Kurdish forces in northeast Syria joined forces with the Syrian government to fight back against Turkey, a major diplomatic move that will have consequences for the entire Middle East. "Turkey is grabbing a piece of Syria," said Engel. "The Kurds and Syrian army, now aligned, are fighting to hold on to what they can." https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/10/14/too-little-too-late-critics-pan-trump-plan-sanction-turkey
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us