All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. sewhite2000

Legendary actress and singer Doris Day dead at 97

Does anybody know anything about the film Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? I see on imdb that it was an MGM release, which would seem to make it relatively stunning that TCM has never aired it (according to MCOH's database). Is it because Doris called it her least favorite film in her memoirs, describing how her soon to be ex husband signed her to do it without her knowledge (and that she spent every moment of the shoot she wasn't on camera on meds and in traction and barely even remembered making it)? I can almost imagine Robert Osborne, out of some loyalty to her, insisting to his bosses at TCM that this movie never be shown. But maybe I'm dramatacizing. Perhaps it's just some rights issue. But if anyone has any idea why TCM has never shown it, I'd like to hear.
  3. Tuesday, May 28 6 a.m. Invitation to the Dance (1956). The film that inspired me to start the “I’d rather stick needles in my eyes than to watch …” thread a few years back.
  4. Today
  5. theyshootpictures.com top 1000 movies Spirited Away Hayao Miyazaki, Japan #188 Amelie Jean-Pierre Jeunet, France #556 Y tu mama tambien Alfonso Cuaron, Mexico #662 The Piano Teacher Michael Haneke, Austria #717 La Cienaga Lucrecia Martel, Argentina #733 In Praise of Love Jean-Luc Godard, France #989 Jonathan Rosenbaum top 1000 movies The Circle Jafar Panahi, Iran I'm going Home Manoel de Oliveira, Portugal Operai, contadini Jean-Marie Sraub / Danielle Huillet, Italy Ou git votre sourire enfoui? Pedro Costa, France Pistol Opera Seijun Suzuki, Japan What Time Is It There? Tsai Ming-liang, China (Taiwan) Note that dates are not exact.
  6. LonesomePolecat

*A to Z of Movies*

The Quiller Memorandum
  7. LonesomePolecat

ONE word titles

Evensong (1934)
  8. LonesomePolecat

Long Titles (6 words + up)

SECOND FIDDLE TO A STEEL GUITAR (1964)
  9. LonesomePolecat

First Movie SONG That Comes to Mind

"Grand Avenue" from FLOWER DRUM SONG next song from a 1970s or 1980s musical
  10. LonesomePolecat

ClassiCategories

SHADOW MAGIC (2000) about the man who brought silent movies to China THE COMIC (1969) Recent film STAN AND OLLIE (2019) Got to mention the silent movie sequence in WHAT A WAY TO GO (1964)
  11. MovieCollectorOH

Another Memorial Day and NO movies about Vietnam War

Anyone notice they aired Santa Claus Conquers The Martians the other day? I caught the short "I Am An American" and my ears perked up when they played a different rendition of a song that I hadn't actually heard anywhere outside of my own 78RPM record collection. "(Shout Wherever You May Be) I Am An American" (1940, Okeh records). I'm just happy to know it is already out there and it wasn't some forgotten track, or by some weird circumstance a one-of-a-kind recording. This is the version I have. The exact same track having been misnamed on Youtube in several different ways, I had no idea it had been posted before. Here is a more recent upload with the correct title. Worthy of being played just before TV station sign-off, in my opinion.
  12. LawrenceA

I Just Watched...

The Laughing Dead (1990) - 4/10 Thai-American horror author S.P. Somtow wrote, produced, directed, and co-starred in this low-budget horror fantasy. A group of American tourists head to a Mexican bordertown in time for a Day of the Dead festival. Little do they know that they've actually been lured there by a cult of modern-day Aztec religious adherents, intent on sacrificing the hapless gringos in order to summon the God of Death. Somtow plays the leader of the Aztec cultists, while fellow author Tim Sullivan stars as a priest with wavering faith. This was an ambitious movie undone by the budget, the lack of skill from the filmmakers, and some bad tonal inconsistency, with terrible comic bits that detract from the whole. Still, there's enough craziness on display to warrant a viewing by adventurous fans of the genre. Source: YouTube
  13. hamradio

SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY , NATURE & HISTORY

Just seen this on "Egyptian Unexplained Files" - Science Channel. 3,000-Year-Old Wooden Toe Prosthetic Discovered on Egyptian Mummy https://www.livescience.com/59581-ancient-prosthetic-toe-found-in-egyptian-grave.html Had volunteers to try it with the Egyptians scandals of the time period, were able to walk normally. Again we under estimate the ability of our ancestors. Ancient Egyptians Used Prosthetic Toes That Are Comfortable to Wear Even Today https://www.medicaldaily.com/ancient-egyptians-used-prosthetic-toes-are-comfortable-wear-even-today-242880 Nutjob Erich von Däniken will say aliens gave the tech to them.
  14. Boy, I hope Nipkow makes the effort to come over here and vote for you!
  15. laffite

not happy with memorial day war selections

This will change TCM as we know it.
  16. kingrat

1952 - one opinion

I can't keep up the with the Academy's rules for foreign films. Forbidden Games and Umberto D. would be in the top three, and I could probably find places for Ikiru and The Life of Oharu. However, here's what the English-language list might look like (kind of like dagoldenage's picks): Singin' in the Rain The Bad and the Beautiful High Noon Viva Zapata! The Long Memory The Big Sky The Lusty Men Angel Face The Narrow Margin 5 Fingers Best Actor: Gene Kelly, Singin' in the Rain Best Actress: Shirley Booth, Come Back, Little Sheba Best Supporting Actor: David Wayne, O. Henry's Full House Best Supporting Actress: Jean Peters, O. Henry's Full House
  17. sewhite2000

August 2019 Schedule is up - SUTS

The Columbia films are owned by Sony, a completely separate entity, but they seem to have always had a cozy relationship with TCM. The Awful Truth, His Gal Friday, On the Waterfront and the films Frank Capra and David Lean made for Columbia I would guess are probably among the most-played "out of library" films in the network's history. I remember somebody once posted on here schedules from the first few weeks TCM was on the air, and they were mixing in some Columbia films right from the start. TCM's first-ever Star of the Month was Greta Garbo, an easy pick, since she made every one of her English-language films at MGM. But TCM's SECOND-ever Star of the Month, way back in June, 1994, was Glenn Ford (about to be spotlighted again), and while I wasn't watching way back then, I assume they must have shown some of his Columbia films, since he made so many for them (though he made a bunch at MGM, too). But you never know how these things are going to go: for the past several years, I've been counting up the 31 Days of Oscar films by studio, and in 2017, the year they played the films in alphabetical order of title, I was stunned to see TCM was airing only five Columbia films the whole month. I was like, "Wow, have things soured between TCM and Sony?" But the very next month and ever since, TCM has been showing its usual share of Columbia pictures.
  18. jakeem

Happy Birthday to...

...Louis Gossett, Jr. (born on May 27, 1936), the first African-American ever to win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. Gossett's screen debut was in the 1961 film version of Lorraine Hansberry's acclaimed 1959 stage play "A Raisin in the Sun." Directed by Daniel Petrie ("The Betsy," "Fort Apache, the Bronx"), the movie's screenplay was written by the author. Sidney Poitier, Claudia McNeil, Ruby Dee, Ivan Dixon, John Fiedler and Gossett were the actors who appeared in the play and the movie. In the 1971 Western comedy "Skin Game," James Garner and Gossett played 1850s con men with a moneymaking scam. Garner's character poses as a slaveowner who offers Gossett's character -- actually a freedman -- for sale. After the transaction is made, the swindlers meet later and split the profits. Directed by Paul Bogart and an uncredited Gordon Douglas, the film also starred Susan Clark, Brenda Sykes, Edward Asner, Andrew Duggan, Henry Jones, Neva Patterson and Parley Baer. The 1972 comedy "Travels With My Aunt" featured Gossett as Zachary Wordsworth, the Sierra Leone fortune teller and lover of Londoner Augusta Bertram (played by Dame Maggie Smith, a Best Actress nominee). Alec McCowen co-starred as Augusta's nephew Henry Pulling, who accompanied her on some fanciful adventures. Based on the 1969 novel by Graham Greene, the film was directed by the veteran filmmaker George Cukor. The picture received an Academy Award nomination for Best Costume Design (Anthony Powell). Directed by Philip Kaufman ("The Right Stuff"), the 1974 drama "The White Dawn" starred Gossett, Timothy Bottoms and Warren Oates as stranded whalers who took refuge with Inuits near the Arctic Circle region of Canada. The tale of culture clash was based on the 1971 novel by the Canadian author James Archibald Houston, who co-wrote the screenplay. Gossett won a Primetime Emmy Award for his performance in the 1977 ABC miniseries "Roots," based on the historical novel by Alex Haley about an African-American family. Gossett played the longtime Virginia slave Fiddler, who showed the recently captured African Kunta Kinte (LaVar Burton) how to survive America's "peculiar institution." For his appearances in the production, the veteran actor won the Emmy for Best Actor in a Drama or Comedy Series, Single Appearance. The miniseries was nominated for 37 Emmys and won nine -- including Best Limited Series. In the 1977 film version of Peter Benchley's novel "The Deep," Gossett played Henri 'Cloche' Bondurant -- a Bermudan drug lord interested in a discovery made by vacationers Gail Berke (Jacqueline Bisset) and David Sanders (Nick Nolte). The visitors' underwater retrieval of an ampoule was the key to two sunken treasures -- a $2 million cargo of morphine from a wrecked World War II ammunition ship and priceless jewels from a sunken French vessel from the 18th century. Directed by Peter Yates ("Bullitt"), the film also starred Robert Shaw and Eli Wallach. In the 1982 film "An Officer and a Gentleman," Gossett played Gunnery Sgt. Emil Foley --- the hard-nosed Marine drill instructor who made life tough for a Navy recruit (Richard Gere) attending an Aviation Officer Candidate School in Washington State. Directed by Taylor Hackford, the film received six Academy Award nominations: Best Actress (Debra Winger), Best Supporting Actor (Gossett), Best Original Screenplay (Douglas Day Stewart), Best Film Editing (Peter Zinner), Best Original Score (Jack Nitzsche) and Best Original Song ("Up Where We Belong by Nitzsche, Buffy Sainte-Marie and Will Jennings). At the 55th Academy Awards ceremony held on April 11, 1983, "An Officer and a Gentleman" won Oscars for Best Supporting Actor and Best Original Song. Gossett became the first African-American actor to win in his category. In the years since, Best Supporting Actor Oscars have been earned by Denzel Washington, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Morgan Freeman and Mahershala Ali (twice). In 1988 -- 11 years after "Roots" -- Gossett and Burton (pictured below with Avery Brooks) reunited for the ABC made-for-television movie "Roots: The Gift." Set in Virginia in December 1775, the special focused on Fiddler and Kunte Kinte as they helped runaway slaves escape through the Underground Railroad. The production featured four actors who went on to play "Star Trek" characters on television in the 1990s: Burton ("Star Trek: The Next Generation"), Brooks ("Star Trek: Deep Space Nine") and Kate Mulgrew and Tim Russ ("Star Trek: Voyager"). In 2017, Gossett appeared in a Season 1 episode of "The Good Fight" -- the CBS All Access series and spinoff of the CBS drama "The Good Wife" (2009-2016). He played Carl Reddick, a founding partner of the Afro-centric Chicago law firm Reddick, Boseman & Kolstad (now Reddick, Boseman & Lockhart). The first episode of Season 2 revolved around Reddick's funeral -- and introduced his daughter Liz Lawrence, played by the six-time Tony Award-winning actress Audra McDonald. Academy Award winner Regina Hall, Don Johnson and Gossett will appear in HBO's upcoming "Watchmen" drama series. Executive producer and writer Damon Lindelof ("Lost," "The Leftovers") says the story isn't a direct adaptation of the 1980s graphic novel by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons that inspired a 2009 feature film by Zack Snyder. "To be clear, 'Watchmen' is canon," Lindelof wrote. "But in the tradition of the work that inspired it, this new story must be original. ... Some of the characters will be unknown. New faces. New masks to cover them." Gossett will play a veteran police officer called Old Man.
  19. TopBilled

1952 - one opinion

My choices for best acting: Ingrid Bergman for EUROPA '51 Jean Hagen for SINGIN' IN THE RAIN Kurt Kasznar for THE HAPPY TIME Charlie Chaplin for LIMELIGHT
  20. Gershwin fan

TRUMPISM IN EUROPE

Sloterdijk on growing Populism in Europe and abroad. Very interesting read. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/theworldpost/wp/2018/01/17/social-pluralism/?utm_term=.290d805177f6 The world is returning to pluralism after American hegemony, says German philosopher WorldPost: You have spoken about the conundrum of a synchronized world without a common narrative. Absent that common narrative, the world is breaking up into tribes like the shattering of the Tower of Babel, each with their own narrative, often nationalist and nativist. What is the root of the resurgence of this tribal mentality? Peter Sloterdijk: Let’s first ask if the rumor of the return of the tribes is justified. It is true that different civilizations resort to vastly different narratives to describe their place in the present day world. Just as we observe a profound multitude of calendars — among Orthodox Christians, in the Muslim cultures, China or Iran, which depart from the Gregorian calendar that dominates in the West — we encounter an even larger number of different local narratives describing events in world history. These are not limited to mythology; even in the historical narratives where they have been witnessed, one can expect a fair degree of radical perspectivism. It is therefore incorrect to claim that the world is breaking up into numerous tribes, as if these had ever been united in an all-inclusive synthesis at any point in history. What is actually happening today is the disintegration of the American camp. This half-imaginary, half-pragmatic projection of reality alone had made the utopia of an all-pervasive occidentalizing of the world conceivable. Yet this projection has since proven to be illusionary, in part because America, as the leader of the Western world, presents itself, at least temporarily, as more repulsive than attractive; because Europe is expected to continue its position of relative political weakness; and lastly because the resilience of regional cultures has intensified the resistance against assimilating to the West. This phenomenon is not limited to the Arabic, Iranian or Turkish zones of influence, but can be found equally in China, Indonesia, Central Asia, Africa and Latin America. The global post-colonial era has opened the door to anti-Western resentments in their numerous manifestations. It would be a dangerous error to summarize these tendencies under the often-contemptuous heading of “neo-tribalism.” This concept expresses more the embarrassment of a helpless universalism than the willingness to analyze the reality of plurality and multi-polarity. Moreover, the importance of the biblical story of the Tower of Babel is far from being as evident as the standard Christian writings would have us believe. The destruction of peoples into their multitude and multilingualism must not solely be understood as punishment of hubris, as it also represents the acknowledgment and restoration of the original plurality, which had existed until the coerced unification of all peoples into the imperial project of the “tower that reaches Heaven.” One could even interpret history as God’s rejection of the arrogance of the Babylonian monopolarity and his taking pleasure in the rebirth of the primordial multitude of the kaleidoscope of peoples.
  21. hamradio

MEMORIAL DAY

NBC4 just showed what's called the "Sea of Flags" in Clifton, NJ. On Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, the September 11 anniversary and Veterans Day, volunteers plant flags on the lawns of Clifton's sprawling municipal complex, each bearing a nameplate identifying a local vet, living or deceased.
  22. hamradio

What's the Weather Like where you are ?

Just received some needed rain. ID-5001 measured .37 inch. Cooled down a lot, 72 at present.
  23. Gershwin fan

What's the Weather Like where you are ?

It has been warm all day but there is a cool breeze now.
  24. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

POLITICO‏Verified account@politico Graham isn’t worried about letting Barr declassify intelligence information “Did they have a lawful reason to surveil President Trump’s campaign? Did they lie to the [Foreign Intelligence Surveillance] court,” Graham asked. “Every American should want to find that out.” https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/26/classified-information-bill-barr-lindsey-graham-1345018
  25. dagoldenage

1952 - one opinion

TopBilled: Who are your individual award choices for 1952?
  26. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Jennifer Rubin‏Verified account@JRubinBlogger Replying to @ABCPolitics Shame on her. There were 2 FBI agents in private conversation. Not top level. Not decision makers. This is the intellectual corruption of GOP
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us