All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. starliteyes

IT'S MOVIE "TIME"!

I Loved You Wednesday
  3. Princess of Tap

First Movie SONG That Comes to Mind

My favorite song from Lionel Bart's "Oliver!" --" Consider Yourself " Next: A light operatic-type song from a movie that became a pop hit
  4. starliteyes

Movies That Make a Statement

It's the Old Army Game
  5. Princess of Tap

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

I wasn't aware that this presidential appointee had also been accused of attempted rape.
  6. These people definitely will have a future with Homeland Security when they get out of jail. They're the kind of people that Stephen Miller wants at the southern border.
  7. starliteyes

Name the pre-1970 film

Upon awaking and learning that a young man she has set her cap for has called twice and said to meet him and a group of their friends at the club to go riding at 2:30 sharp and knowing that she can't possibly make it in time, the daughter sends her cousin (the orphan) on ahead to detain him in some way.
  8. Stephen444

TCM and aspect ratio

My personal concern with this issue only seems to be noticeable with films shot in 1.85:1 since this ratio is very close to the 16:9 ratio of modern TVs. More extreme ratios always have the black bands on the top and botom, since you would lose so much of the image by cropping it to fit within the 16:9 tv footprint. I don’t know whether they monkey around with the proportions of the more extremely wide films or not to give you a larger image while still giving the illusion of being an accurate projection. I’ve never put a ruler to it. Sitting here tonight looking at “Young Frankenstein” and, of course, being shown in an incorrect ratio to fill the tv screen I have two thoughts: Maybe it would be easier to mention 1.85:1 films that are accurately projected. I’m sure that TCM does show some of these but I think that more films are shown in a distorted 16:9 footprint that should be 1.85:1. My other thought is concerning “The Godfather” restoration. Someone gave me this years ago and I have never been able to bring myself to watch it because of the above issue. The film was shot in 1.85:1 but the DVD version distorts this to yes, fill the tv screen. This was apparently done with Coppolas approval. Comments from a dicussion about the DVD restoration.... Part III, the most recent, always looked fine and is better than ever here. It is the most colorful but also suffers from the evident grain. All are presented in their original aspect ratio of 1.85:1. [Editor's note: thanks to a reader for pointing out that the aspect ratio on the Blu-ray is actually 1.78:1 not 1.85:1 as specified by Paramount. But before you cry out to the heavens about the audacity of it all (as he did), be assured that there is no pan and scan involved. The restoration team simply opened the matte slightly wider (taller) to 1.78:1 in order to prevent thin black lines from appearing at the top and bottom of the image on a standard 16:9 HDTV screen or projector. The full 1.85:1 theatrical image is present here with slightly more image information at the top and bottom. This is a common technique for Blu-ray mastering and was done with the director's approval]. When I read this it throws me into a tailspin. I don’t understand this acceptance, especially with Coppola’s approval. In this case they apparently added to the image rather than blowing it up to fill the screen but it still is distortion. Just because we have the technical ability to do this to films doesn’t mean that it should be done.
  9. GGGGerald

ClassiCategories

Much of the 1980's was people upset at the speed of progress. And yearned for a simpler time in the past that they could relate to: Tough Guys (1986) Peggy Sue Got Married (1986) Back To The Future (1985)
  10. starliteyes

ONE word titles

11. starliteyes

Long Titles (6 words + up)

12. Brrrcold

WHO IS HARRY KELLERMAN AND WHY IS HE SAYING THOSE TERRIBLE THINGS ABOUT ME? http://www.tcm.turner.com/tcmdb/title/95714/Who-Is-Harry-Kellerman-and-Why-Is-He-Saying-Those-Terrible-Things-About-Me-/
  13. Brrrcold

CAN HEIRONYMUS MERKIN EVER FORGET MERCY HUMPPE AND FIND TRUE HAPPINESS? http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/491512/Can-Heironymus-Merkin-Ever-Forget-Mercy-Humppe-and-Find-True-Happiness/
  14. JakeHolman

BUSINESS NEWS

AT&T’s Pay-TV Subscribers Continue to Flee Wireless business gains customers despite phone-sale slowdown; ‘Aquaman’ buoys media unit https://www.wsj.com/articles/at-ts-pay-tv-customers-continue-to-flee-11556107926
  15. Vibro Champ 68

Shocking and villians

Yes
  16. Today
  17. TopBilled

ONE word titles

From 1938
  18. TopBilled

QUACKSER FORTUNE HAS A COUSIN IN THE BRONX (1970)
  19. Vautrin

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Then you pull a Kavanaugh on them. Rant and rave and get red in the face. It worked for Bretty boy.
  20. TopBilled

*A to Z of Movies*

X THE UNKNOWN (1958)
  21. Vautrin

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Call on Graham to repent for being an ignorant bigot.
  22. Brrrcold

"THE PERSECUTION AND ASSASSINATION OF JEAN-PAUL MARAT AS PERFORMED BY THE INMATES OF THE ASYLUM OF CHARENTON UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THE MARQUIS DE SADE" http://www.tcm.turner.com/tcmdb/title/82884/The-Persecution-and-Assassination-of-Jean-Paul-Marat-as-Performed-by-the-Inmates-of-the-Asylum-of-Charenton-Under-the-Direction-of-the-Marquis-de-Sade/
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us