Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Claire

Most Romantic Couple

222 posts in this topic

> Holy Toledo! You forgot AUDREY HEPBURN and FRED

> ASTAIRE in FUNNY FACE!! Great list, by the way!

You're so right! Actually, I could go on and on with even more great couples.

I love romantic movies... I guess my top pick would be Rhett and Scarlet in Gone with the Wind but here's a few of my other favorite picks...

Rita Hayworth and Glen Ford in Gilda

Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy in Maytime

Bette Davis and George Brent in Dark Victory

Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart in To Have and Have Not

Myrna Loy and William Powell in The Thin Man

Elizabeth Taylor and Laurence Harvey in BUtterfeild 8

Lana Turner and John Garfield in The Post Man Always Rings Twice

Eleanor Parkerand Kirk Douglas in Detective Story

i love all romantic movies. i guess that's why i'm such a sap.

1. greer garson and Walter pidgeon-mrs. miniver

2. june allyson and van johnson-2 girls and a sailor

3. errol flynn and olivia dehavilland-captain blood

4. judy garland and mickey rooney-babes on broadway

5. fred astaire and ginger rogers-top hat

6. jeanette macdonald and nelson eddy-naughty marietta

7. doris day and gordon mccrae-on moonlight bay

8. myrna loy and william powell-the thin man

9. barbra streisand and ryan o'neal-what's up doc?

10. loretta young and gary cooper-along came jones

im sorry, but i believe i missed a few:

11. katharine hepburn and spencer tracy-woman of the year

12. gregory peck and audrey hepburn-roman holiday

13.julie andrews and christopher plummer-the sound of music

Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten in "LOVE LETTERS." Oh my when she tries to retrieve the letters from the fire.

Jennifer Jones breaks my heart in many of her films; some of which has been mentioned on this thread. Why doesn't Robert Osborne talk to her in "Private Screenings"????

John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara in "The Quiet Man"

Megan Follows, Jonathan Crombie in "Anne of Green Gables:The Continuing Story"

Fred Astaire, Audrey Hepburn in "Funny Face"

George Peppard, Audrey Hepburn in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

Clark Gabble, Vivien Leigh in "Gone With The Wind"

Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet in "Titanic"

Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten in "Portrait of Jenny"

Jude Law, Gretchen Mol In "Music From Another Room"

Jeremy Northam, Gwyneth Paltrow in "Emma"

Keira Knightley, Matthew Macfadyen in " Pride & Prejudice"

Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart in "Sabrina"

James Stewart, Donna Reed in "Its A Wonderful Life"

Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert in "It Happend One Night"

Katharine Hepburn,Cary Grant in " The Philadelphia Story"

Viggo Mortensen, Liv Tyler in " The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy"

Some couples that stirred my romantic sensibilities:

Ingrid Bergman & Gary Cooper in FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

Gary Cooper & Audrey Hepburn --final scene on the train in LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON

Greer Garson & Ronald Colman in RANDOM HARVEST ("the two most beautiful voices

in the English language," Robert Osborne)

Jean-Louis Trintignant & Anouk Aimee in A MAN AND A WOMAN (Why would she change her

first name of Francoise to Anouk?)

Celia Johnson & Trevor Howard in BRIEF ENCOUNTER -- A chance meeting leads to a married,

middle-aged and middle-class couple falling desperately in love with each other.What

could have been another commonplace, extramarital affair instead becomes a classic

film of sensitive, tasteful acting, directing and an ending that stays true to the characters.

(Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto didn't hurt any.)

Olivia de Havilland and Errol Flynn in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOdD. There's the

parting scene in THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON that I found especially touching.

Flynn (as Custer) says simply but feelingly to his wife (Olivia)--each knows this is a final

parting-- (to paraphrase), "Walking through life with you has been a very gracious thing."

Madeleine Carroll & Ronald Colman in THE PRISONER OF ZENDA. What a beauty she was!

Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh in THAT HAMILTON WOMAN. As bad a title as THAT

FORSYTE WOMAN.

Rex Harrison and Gene Tierney in THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR. Another example of less is

more. Suppressing rather than expressing the passion ghostly Rex feels for "Lucia" increases

the sexual tension and impact. Geat chemistry!

Joseph Cotten & Jennifer Jones in PORTRAIT OF JENNIE and LOVE LETTERS. I found her more

believable and appealing as a fragile, fantasizing, other-worldly romantic (or as the

confident physician in LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING) than as Pearl

Chavez in DUEL IN THE SUN. No chemistry lacking between her and good friend Joe Cotten.

Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in CASABLANCA. Ingrid was reported to have said

that she felt she never got to know Bogart. Her talent as an actress never showed it.

William Holden, Mr. Chemistry hiumself, with Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Nancy Olson (FORCE OF ARMS), Jennifer Jones, Kim Novak, Deborah Kerr (THE PROUD AND PROFANE),,

Lilli Palmer (THE COUNTERFEIT TRAITOR).

I obviously have omitted many others, but this is enough for starters. It took me hours to find my way back here. Each successful return makes me cling to hope that I can somehow do it again.. I've managed to erase, inadvertently, this list three times tonight. It is now midnight and I am exhausted!

M,

Welcome to our classic film forum.

Please bookmark this site in your favorites to make it easier to find. Your stories are great and we look forward to you sharing more with us mere mortals!

I think my favorite of all time is Errol Flynn & Olivia de Havilland,their chemistry on screen was remarkable,they were so true to one another in their movies,it was as if you would have really thought they were married in real life,but they did so good together on their films,they were excellent! I think my favorite movie of theirs was "The Adventures of Robin Hood".My second favorite screen team was John Wayne & Maureen O'Hara,their chemistry on screen was excellent also.You couldn't beat either one of them screen teams.Even though Cary Grant & Katherine Hepburn were pretty good together,my favorite one out of the two was Cary Grant,he could carry on comedy better than she could,to me comedy wasn't one of Katherine Hepburn's great traits on the screen,she really didn't make sense when she did comedy,it was always Cary Grant who could carry the comedy through and make you laugh.

I love Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed in "It's A Wonderful Life" What a cute couple--especially in the beginning at the dance when they fall in the pool--then later when he is walking her home. And I always enjoy the phone call scene where he spends all his efforts telling her how he isn't going to marry her all the while they are both about to pass out from the heavy breathing! And I love the wedding night scene with the two friends serenading them out in the rain. Too Sweet!

I also like John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in the Quiet Man. When he offers her a handful of holy water and also when they go for their first walk together and get caught in the rain. And I really like after they are married where they finally make peace for the first time and she is sitting on his lap in front of the fire. Probably one of the best romantic moments in the film and not a word is spoken.

I completely agree. Robert Taylor & Greta Garbo in Camille - one of my favorite movies and favorite romantic couples. The sacrifices they make for each other are so heartwrenching. Excellent movie.

I stumbled onto this thread and thought I would put in my two cents. I think Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon were good at portraying a married couple who still were in love. True with Myrna Loy and William Powell, and John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. I think these three couples liked each other and the true affection showed when they were on screen together. I am no saying they were intimate off camera, but that they respected and had a great affection for each other. Two actors that were often in romantic leads that I find difficult in detecting any real affection may surprise some. But, although I could look at Clark Gable all day, I do not feel he had any great affection for the person he played opposite. He was a good actor but I always thought there was too much mechanical about his love scenes. I often wondered what kind of fireworks would have happened if he and Carole Lombard could have made films after they were married. We probably would all leave the theater panting. Another actor I felt was too mechanical was Claudette Colbert. She was a good actor but the best love story I have seen her in was Since You Went Away and the big love of her life in that movie was the one that was away. That's just my opinion.

hi lulu,

i also like teh pairings of greer & walter and duke & o'hara. some of their pairings were nto really romantic comedies, but they still had great chemistry. with myrna and powell, i know them best from the 'thin man' movies but understand they did a few otehr movies togeheter, not sure if they was all romantic comeides or also dramas.

anita

I have four..... :)

June Allyson and Dick Powell

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers

Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy

I love them all and I think that they are some of the best actors and actresses I have ever seen!

Thanks for everything TCM!

But I though this was supposed to be most romantic couple in ROMANTIC COMEDIES? It would have to be Hudson & Day, or Grant & Dunne.

The most romantic couple on screen was Greer Garson and Ronald Coleman in Random Harvest. While there were improbabilities, the film demonstrated the true nature of love which is patient and sweet.