Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Distaff Half Psychopaths

42 posts in this topic

Yeah, and while another character in REBECCA may not be "crazy" in the clinical sense, I always kind'a felt sorry for one Mr. Van Hopper too, Sans.

(...you know...the poor slob who had been married to that insufferable old bitty of a widow played by Florence Bates in that movie)

1b7d23f973e5b04a283bb202964ad70a.jpg

Didn't she say at one point after finding out that Maxim de Winter was going to marry her little companion, that "I've always found that British men had strange taste in women."

She was wonderfully agitating in that part, Dargo. Definitely a dowager queen on steroids!

Didn't she say at one point after finding out that Maxim de Winter was going to marry her little companion, that "I've always found that British men had strange taste in women."

She was wonderfully agitating in that part, Dargo. Definitely a dowager queen on steroids!

Yep.

Ya know I was thinking if Florence's role here might qualify for entry into your "Lethal Little Old Ladies" thread?

(...'cause she sure is "lethal" to Joan's sense of self-worth in that flick, isn't SHE?!)

;)

Yep.

Ya know I was thinking if Florence's role here might qualify for entry into your "Lethal Little Old Ladies" thread?

(...'cause she sure is "lethal" to Joan's sense of self-worth in that flick, isn't SHE?!)

;)

Not to be a giant pain in the you know what about stringent details of my silly posts, but the only reason I would not put FB in this LOL category is that in my interpretation, I am meaning elderly ladies who appear a bit weak and fragile externally, but actually can exert more strength of character when pushed, than the famous wrestler, the Swedish Angel.

Women like Katie Johnson, in "The Ladykillers" who manage to foil a whole group of criminals by just being quietly annoying.

So for me, FB already seems formidable on the surface and not weak looking. That's my only objection but in the sense of being "lethal" well, yes she definitely qualifies.

Has there ever been a chillier screen villainess than Mrs. Iselin (Dame Angela Lansbury), the demented right-wing politico who coolly arranges a power grab in "The Manchurian Candidate"? No wonder her brainwashed son Raymond Shaw (Laurence Harvey) also had mommy issues.

Lansbury received a 1962 Best Supporting Actress nomination for her performance.

tumblr_nraidxR3MK1qmemvwo1_500.jpg

Lansbury and Harvey

• Like 1

And then there's Theresa Russell as the seductive title character in the 1987 neo-noir thrlller "Black Widow." As Catharine Petersen, she marries wealthy older men and then moves on after they've been fatally poisoned. The film is noteworthy because the FBI agent consumed by her case is played by Debra Winger. It's a rare onscreen instance in which a woman in authority takes the lead in investigating the crimes of a female suspect.

• Like 1

And then there's Theresa Russell as the seductive title character in the 1987 neo-noir thrlller "Black Widow." As Catharine Petersen, she marries wealthy older men and then moves on after they've been fatally poisoned. The film is noteworthy because the FBI agent consumed by her case is played by Debra Winger. It's a rare onscreen instance in which a woman in authority takes the lead in investigating the crimes of a female suspect.

Oh, she's wonderful at playing sociopathic chicks!

I've seen that movie and had forgotten about it, but it really should be revived it is SO good! Isn't she married or was to Nicholas Roeg?

• Like 1

Oh, she's wonderful at playing sociopathic chicks!

I've seen that movie and had forgotten about it, but it really should be revived it is SO good! Isn't she married or was to Nicholas Roeg?

Yes. In 1982, Russell married Roeg -- the acclaimed director ("Don't Look Back," "The Man Who Fell to Earth") and cinematographer -- and they had two sons. They later divorced. Russell was wonderful in other films, including "The Last Tycoon" (1976, with Robert De Niro as a movie mogul), "Straight Time" (1978, with Dustin Hoffman) and the 1984 remake of "The Razor's Edge" with Bill Murray.

She also has some nice moments in "Empire Falls," the 2005 Primetime Emmy Award-winning HBO miniseries that teamed Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward for the last time.

Mercedes McCambridge is deliciously unhinged in JOHNNY GUITAR; Joan Crawford never forgave her for walking away with the picture.

Speaking of Crawford and McCambridge, two additional roles, from two separate films, come to mind. Joan Crawford plays a woman who becomes increasingly unstable in Possessed (1947), but with extenuating circumstances. If we accept the notion of the femme fatale in film noir, this film is proof of the homme fatal. Van Heflin takes far too much pleasure in causing Joanie's fall from grace.

Mercedes McCambridge's character in Lightning Strikes Twice (1951) is a bit problematic: if you have seen the film, you will know why this is the case. If you have not seen the film, which is worth seeing at least once, then there is the question of spoilers. Her character isn't full on whack-a-doodle, but I'll just say that she isn't all she seems.

I can think of another young lady who would vehemently demonstrate her displeasure if she were not included in this illustrious group: Miss Veda Pierce, a predatory female who mercilessly drove her mother ‘round the twist.

Let's not forget the female half of one of the most infamous crime couples of the early 20th century. If Clyde Barrow was something of a criminal mastermind, then Bonnie Parker certainly bears half the responsibility (or was this a case of, "if she had known then what she later couldn't deny?").

• Like 2

The teenage geek (Heather Matarazzo) in "Welcome To The Dollhouse" (1995) has lost half her mind...

200_s.gif

...and almost totally went psycho.35.gif

tumblr_m6tv38Zo6H1qihd2co1_1280.jpg

I feel that: Veronica in: Heathers (1988) comes very close to being psychopathic. She participates in several murders and aids in covering them up but she does demonstrate a conscience at the end.

The teenage geek (Heather Matarazzo) in "Welcome To The Dollhouse" (1995) has lost half her mind...

200_s.gif

...and almost totally went psycho.35.gif

tumblr_m6tv38Zo6H1qihd2co1_1280.jpg

I've always thought she looks like a midget Anne Hathaway.

The most memorable of all junior edition female psychos: 

bad-seed-rhoda-slideshow-pic.jpg

Patty McCormack as Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed" (1956)

• Like 1

We must provide equal air time...

Mary Tilford (Karen Balkin) from The Children's Hour (1961)

What defense does any adult have against a child such as this..

Cij4Sax.jpg

The most memorable of all junior edition female psychos: 

bad-seed-rhoda-slideshow-pic.jpg

Patty McCormack as Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed" (1956)

I thought this thread were about those that were only half way there.  Patty? she's COMPLETELY TOTALLY psyched out. :blink:

Cij4Sax.jpg

Mary is a SPOILED BRAT that needs a good over the knee spanking by...

39847449.jpg...

I thought this thread were about those that were only half way there.  Patty? she's COMPLETELY TOTALLY psyched out. :blink:

But she should only get half credit because she's a minor.

Cij4Sax.jpg

How about having Bonita Granville becoming her BFF?