JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

4,237 posts in this topic

Thanks to TCM for adding this new DVD Genre Forum. I've been wishing there was one spot where I could refer to upcoming releases. Thanks to Edgecliff and Shearerchic04 and their posts. I hope they'll continue to add them here. In the meantime I'll search through the other forums to cull some information for this new thread.

On September 25, 2006 Edgecliff mentioned the following:

"Sony has just announced The Premiere Frank Capra Collection. This is a six disc DVD set that includes:

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

You Can't Take It With You

It Happened One Night

American Madness

Sony promised each film will be digitally remasters. Each film will have commentary tracks. A bonus disc of Frank Capra American Dream documentary and Frank Capra Remembers feature. Also included is a 96-page collectible scrapbook. Suggested retail price is $59.95."

On the 4th of July, 2006 Shearerchic04 wrote the following:

We can all breathe a sigh of relief because Marie Antoinette plus four other classics are being released in a boxed set on October 10, 2006.

Motion Picture Masterpieces Five-disc set with five restored and remastered literary classics; $49.92; individual titles available for $19.97. (Warner).

Marie Antoinette (1939) Dir.: W.S. Van Dyke; Norma Shearer, Tyrone Power, John Barrymore, Robert Morley. Extras: Oscar-nominated short The Great Heart, vintage short Another Romance of Celluloid.

David Copperfield (1935) Dir.: George Cukor; Freddie Bartholomew, Lionel Barrymore, Edna May Oliver, Maureen O'Sullivan, Basil Rathbone. Extras: Vintage Technicolor musical shorts: Pirate Party on Catalina Isle and Two Hearts in Wax Time, Classic MGM cartoon Poor Little Me, audio-only bonus Leo Is on the Air radio promo.

Pride and Prejudice (1940) Greer Garson, Laurence Olivier, Maureen O'Sullivan, Ann Rutherford. Extras: Oscar-nominated [/i]Crime Doesn't Pay[/i] short Eyes of the Navy, classic MGM cartoon The Fishing Bear.

A Tale of Two Cities (1935) Ronald Coleman, Elizabeth Allan, Edna May Oliver, Reginald Owen, Basil Rathbone. Extras: Oscar-nominated short Audioscopiks, two classic MGM cartoons Hey, Hey Fever and Honeyland, audio-only bonus: Lux Radio Theater radio show adaptation starring Ronald Colman.

Treasure Island (1934) Dir.: Victor Fleming; Jackie Cooper, Wallace Beery, Lionel Barrymore, Otto Kruger, Lewis Stone, Nigel Bruce. Extras: Vintage early three-Strip Technicolor MGM short The Spectacle Maker (1934), Oscar-nominated MGM short Strikes and Spares, classic MGM Happy Harmonies cartoon Tale of the Vienna Woods.

And on August 27, 2006 she mentioned;

"WB already said they were releasing an Esther Williams set, so it's just a matter of when. They said it was going to be a splashy set debuting in 2006. This was said in 2005's Home Theater Forum chat..."

"American Madness " is rarely shown on TV. I may buy if all the films have an audio commentary. The only " bad thing " about the recently released John Wayne - John Ford Collection is that only " Stagecoach ", and " The Searchers " provided an audio commentary. The John Ford Collection which included " The Informer ', and "The Lost Patrol ", among its five films, none had an audio commentary. Shame on TCM !

October Announced:

October 3, 2006

Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection, Volumes 1 & 2 includes:

Volume 1

Two-disc Casablanca

Two-disc Treasure of the Sierra Madre

They Drive By Night*

High Sierra*

Volume 2

Three-disc Maltese Falcon* (includes all three versions)

Across the Pacific

Action in the North Atlantic

All Through the Night

Passage to Marseille

October 17, 2006

Billy Wilder Speaks

Sony presents, from its Icons of Horror Collection:

Boris Karloff

The Black Room

The Man They Could Not Hang

Before I Hang

The Boogie Man Will Get You

Edgar G Ulmer: The Man Off Screen

* Also sold separately.

November Announced:

November 7, 2006

Flower Drum Song

Criterion Collection: Carol Reed's Fallen Idol

Gary Cooper Signature Collection

James Bond Ultimate Collections, Volumes 1 & 2:

Volume 1:

Goldfinger

The Man with the Golden Gun

The World Is Not Enough

Diamonds Are Forever

The Living Daylights

Volume 2:

Thunderball

The Spy Who Loved Me

A View to a Kill

Die Another Day

License to Kill

Mothra vs. Godzilla

Two-disc set: Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)

Triple Collection:

Objective Burma!

Never So Few

Go for Broke

Box Sets/Collections from Warner:

(all dates subject to change)

November 7th:

The Marlon Brando Collection (6 discs)

Mutiny on the Bounty (2 disc)*

Julius Caesar*

The Formula

Reflections in a Golden Eye

Teahouse of the August Moon

*only discs to be available separately, the rest will only be available through the box set

November 14th:

The Paul Newman Collection (7 disc set)

Harper

The Drowning Pool

The Left Handed Gun

Mackintosh Man

Pocket Money

Somebody Up There Likes Me

The Young Philadelphians

November 21, 2006:

Classic Comedy Teams Collection: the Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello (3 disc set)

Meet the Baron

Gold Raiders

Air Raid Wardens

Nothing But Trouble

Lost in a Harem

Abbott and Costello in Hollywood

December 5, 2006

The Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton Film Collection

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (two discs)

The Sandpiper

The V.I.P.s

The Comedians

TCM Archives: Forbidden Hollywood Collection Volume 1 (2 disc set)

Disc 1: Red Headed Woman and Waterloo Bridge (1931)

Disc 2: Baby Face (release and uncensored version on the other)

Warner/Amazon DVD Decision 2006

December 19, 2006

The Illustrated Man

Operation Crossbow

Presenting Lily Mars

There Was a Crooked Man?

Up Periscope

Best Foot Forward (Amazon.com ONLY)

January 30th, 2007

The Arrangement

Band of Angels

Madame Curie

Angels in the Outfield (Amazon.com ONLY)

PARAMOUNT:

December 5, 2006

The Conformist (1970) dir. Bernardo Bertolucci

1900 (special edition) dir. Bernardo Bertolucci

December 12, 2006

My Geisha (1962) - Shirley Maclaine, Edward G. Robinson, Bob Cummings

TAKE A TRIP WITH OSCAR?-WINNERS CARY GRANT & KATHARINE HEPBURN IN THE CLASSIC FILM

HOLIDAY

- Available On DVD December 5-

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (September 25, 2006) ? Spend a Saturday night with two of Hollywood?s most beloved actors, Cary Grant (The Philadelphia Story, To Catch A Thief) and Katharine Hepburn (On Golden Pond, The Lion In The Winter) in the heartwarming drama HOLIDAY, available on DVD from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on December 5. Directed by George Cukor (Rich and Famous, My Fair Lady) and written by Broadway playwright Philip Barry (An Affair to Remember, Marie Antoinette), Holiday tells the story of liberal Johnny Case (Grant) who is betrothed to a millionaire's daughter, portrayed by actress Doris Nolan (Irene, Follies Girl), but eventually falls in love with his fianc??s sister (Hepburn). This film brilliantly illustrates why Grant is considered one of the most acclaimed actors in movie history and why he and Hepburn were perfectly paired together on-screen. The HOLIDAY DVD includes a ?Cary At Columbia? featurette along with an exclusive photo gallery and will be available for a SRP of $24.95.

Holiday

Grant plays free-spirited Johnny Case, a self-made man with a dream in his heart of making just enough money to retire on and then travel around the world. Johnny proposes to his girlfriend the lovely Julia (Nolan) in Lake Placid, but it isn't until he pays her a visit in New York that he discovers she's the daughter of a wealthy businessman. Although his nonconformity ruffles the feathers of Julia's stuffy father, he's soon won over the whole family--most notably, Julia's rebellious sister Linda (Hepburn), who in becoming Johnny's greatest advocate finds herself irresistibly drawn to him. With the help of his friends, Johnny makes up his mind as to which is the better course, and the better mate. This film is not rated and has a run time of 97 minutes.

DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE

?Cary at Columbia? Featurette

Deleted Scenes Photo Montage

Shearer, have you heard if the Motion Picture Masterpieces collection will have any audio commentaries? I don't see any listed on Amazon, but you would think with something historical there could be lots to talk about in comparing real versus reel.

1.) Certainties: (Titles that Warner have indicated are under way for DVD issue)

ERROL FLYNN COLLECTION: VOL. 2 - Coming in 2007. Will include GENTLEMAN JIM and CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE.

FILM NOIR COLLECTION: VOL. 4 - Likely to include SIDE STREET. Coming in 2006.

SPENCER TRACY COLLECTION - Supposed to be in 2006. Most likely in 2007 now.

JEAN HARLOW COLLECTION - Same as Spencer Tracy set.

ESTHER WILLIAMS COLLECTION - Same as Spencer Tracy set.

UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE - Coming in 2007.

CAGED - Coming in 2007.

THE WIND, SCARLET LETTER, THE BIG PARADE, GREED, SHOW PEOPLE, THE CROWD - Coming in 2006/2007.

THE PRISONER OF ZENDA ('22, '37, and '52 versions) - Coming in 2006/2007.

ANDY HARDY COLLECTION - Coming in 2007/2008.

GARLAND/ROONEY COLLECTION - The four musicals. Coming in 2007.

JOAN CRAWFORD COLLECTION: VOL. 2 - Includes FLAMINGO ROAD. Coming in 2007.

FRANK SINATRA COLLECTION - Likely to include SOME CAME RUNNING. Coming in 2007?

ROBERT MITCHUM COLLECTION - Includes HOME FROM THE HILL. Coming in 2007?

GLENN FORD COLLECTION - Includes FOUR HORSEMEN. Coming in 2007?

NATALIE WOOD COLLECTION - Coming in 2007.

A SUMMER PLACE - Coming in 2007.

THE PIRATE - Coming in 2007.

THE CLOCK - Coming in 2007.

QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE - Coming in 2007.

LON CHANEY COLLECTION: VOL. 2 - Includes HE WHO GETS SLAPPED, THE UNHOLY THREE, TELL IT TO THE MARINES, plus two more. Coming in 2006?

LOY/POWELL COLLECTION - Coming in 2007.

BURT LANCASTER COLLECTION - Includes Twilight's Last Gleaming. Coming in 2007.

EXECUTIVE SUITE - Coming in 2007.

THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY - Coming in 2007.

POPEYE COLLECTIONS - sets beginning in 2007.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2.) Distinct Possibilities: (Titles that haven't been fully confirmed yet, but have either been mentioned by Warner or linked to Warner by other events/companies)

BOWERY BOYS COLLECTIONS - All 48 films in multiple boxes were scheduled to begin releasing in 2006. Warner is now looking for better elements. There is no new release date.

THE COMPLETE SHOWBOAT - George Feltenstein has stated that he would like to release the '29, '36, and '51 versions as a boxed set, but no timeline has been given for production.

ZABRISKIE POINT - Mentioned for May 2005 release at Roger Waters Online. Obviously, that didn't happen, but Warner says that "it is under consideration (for release) at some point."

KUBRICK FILMS - Warner says, "It is very likely we will revisit the other Kubrick titles (LOLITA, BARRY LYNDON, FULL METAL JACKET) as well in the future."

Additional LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION sets - According to Jerry Beck, there are plans for ten total volumes.

TEX AVERY COLLECTION - Jerry Beck said at one time that he would be working as a consultant on these as well. He has, however deleted the post in which he mentioned this. As of June 2006, Warner was saying, "the tex avery cartoons all require a full restoration which will be VERY VERY expensive. For us to release them, in any substandard form would obviously not make you folks happy. We are trying to find the financing within the various divisions of the company to justify this undertaking."

3.) Remasters: (Titles that have been released, but are being reissued because new, better materials have come to light in the years since release.)

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS New special edition with Ultra-Resolution restoration. Coming in 2007.

BONNIE & CLYDE - Two-disc special edition coming in 2007.

COOL HAND LUKE - Special edition tentatively planned for 2007.

THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING - Special edition coming in 2007.

> Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection, >

> Volume 1

>

> Two-disc Casablanca

> Two-disc Treasure of the Sierra Madre

> They Drive By Night*

> High Sierra*

whats with the double dipping? I already own the Warner Legends Collection so that means I will not buy this boxset because I can't logically replace the same two-disc special edition of Treasure of the Sierra Madre with this boxset like I could with my "sold-separately" 2-disc Casablanca...I never bought the other two films because I hate snapper cases...

I noticed the Jimmy Stewart Signature Collection features repeats from the Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection...what gives???

Nic Orizaga

Does anyone know the buying status of the Warner/Amazon DVD Decision 2006 movies? Amazon has implied that the only way to purchase these movies is through them. Yet, the TCM shop is showing them as available through TCM. Will they also be available in brick-n-mortar stores?

What I understand is that "Best Foot Forward" and "Angels in the Outfield" are the only two that are Amazon exclusives, while the rest will be available at regular retail stores. It seems silly to me, why keep only two as exclusives? But that might be part of the deal with Amazon, since TCM hasn't done a DVD Decision contest for two years (I think). Not many of the dvd's appeal to me though, and it seems a shame some of those titles were included when there are so many classic WB movies that need to be released!

I really wish that dvd release of "Holiday" would include the original version with Mary Astor and Ann Harding. I'd love to see that version! I love the remake (my favorite out of all the Grant/Hepburn vehicles), but I love seeing original versions too.

> Well there was never technically a first Bogie set,

> so thats why they decided to put them together.

I know there wasn't a Bogart Collection...I wouldn't mind buying it (and probably still will) except that now I have the same movie ("Treasure...") twice in two different boxsets...so are you saying we shouldn't be surprised if "The Adventures of Robin Hood" appears in the Errol Flynn Signature Collection Vol. 2?? or "Yankee Doodle Dandy" appears in a James Cagney set?? so those of us that bought the Legends Collection especially for the exclusive "Here's Looking At You, Warner Bros" disc shouldn't complain that we'll own each movie twice just because we want the box sets??

>As for the Stewart set, they were all new to DVD films

no they weren't...the same version of "The Wrong Man" is available in BOTH the James Stewart Signature Collection (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FZETSY/imdb-button/) and the Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002HOES0/imdb-button/)

they didn't feel the need to repeat "North By Northwest" or "Suspicion" on the Cary grant Signature Collection...so come on...

they were on sale for $39.99 each at Borders...the new standard case versions of High Sierra and They Drive by Night were 19.99 each so I went for the boxset...I just stuck my Citizen Kane intot he Warner Legends set and sold my extra Casablanca and Treasure of the Sierra Madre DVDs to FYE...I didn't get as much as I had hope (less than 20 bucks) but it justified buying them over...

one thing though...I hate the slimline cases of the Bogart Collections...I was hoping for a bulky set like Errol Flynn or Greta Garbo...it makes it hard to display from the spine...ah well...I just got 6 Bogart movies that I've never watched!! good stuff...

nic orizaga

>"one thing though...I hate the slimline cases of the Bogart Collections"

I know what you mean. I just purchased Collection #2 and was disappointed also (not with the films) Warners always does a great job but, Slim line cases is a little tacky.

vallo

I read somewhere that they intend to do slimline cases for movies that will not be available individually. But while I may use slimlines for movies I record off TV, I do not want them for movies I buy. I want the regular cases. I know some people are appreciative because they have little shelf space (who among doesn't?), and I am sure retailers are happy to have the extra room, but I still want the full-size cases.

Warner Bros., you are my favorite company, but you are charging the same price, whether it is regular or slimline, so why not give us the regular? I have to say it is one of the major reasons I haven't picked up Film Noir vol. 3. The slimlines make it look cheap, like you are getting a rental from a video store. But when you have the regular case, you feel you really own it.

WB, you take such great care with the classics in transferring them to DVD. Don't shortchange us on the case presentation. With slimlines, it is like paying full price for a movie ticket but then you find out you are going to the tiniest theater of a multiplex cinema. It can make a spectacular movie a tiny presentation.

>As for the Stewart set, they were all new to DVD films

no they weren't...the same version of "The Wrong Man" is available in BOTH the James Stewart Signature Collection (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FZETSY/imdb-button/)

thebiach, actually shearer is correct, when saying that the James Stewart set is all new. You are thinking about the Henry Fonda set.

yeah it is Henry Fonda...

as for the James Stewart set, the Westerns Double Feature DVD looks tacky in the Signature Collection...I'm glad they released the Marx Bros. double features in the boxset only before they released them as an individual title (same tacky look)...

Nic Orizaga

Just bought my first slimline cases tonight: the triple feature Maltese Falcon set. Two discs, in slimline cases with all three versions of Falcon. Looks like a good set of extras too.

Mr. Biach has previously mentioned his distaste for "double-dipping" (DVDs that are released -- sometimes with new material; sometimes with no real changes, but sold in a set with new, unreleased movies, etc.). And my other purchase for tonight was just that: the new Criterion Collection edition of Fellini's Amarcord. Unlike the previous edition, this is a two-disk set with loads of extras and a booklet. Nice packaging too (and no slimcase!).

Wednesday I received, via Amazon.com , " The Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection, Vol.2 " The only film or commentary of the Collection that I have of the Six - Disc Collection,is " All Through the Night ", an excellent anti - Nazi Comedy- drama, which I have seen many times on TV. The film quality is excellent, and the commentary by Director Vincent Sherman and Eric Lax is very good. The film's wonderful supporting cast includes Conrad Veidt, Pter Lorre, Kaaren Verne, Judith Anderson, William Demarest, Frank McHugh, Jane Darwell, wallace Ford, and Phil Silvers

The other films, in the Collection are " Across the Pacific ", with Greenstreet and Astor, " Action in the North Atlantic ", with Raymond Massey and Dane Clark, " Passage to Marseille ", with Michele Morgan and Claude Rains, and " The Maltese Falcon ". Also included are " Satan Met a Lady ", and the 1931 version of Falcon with Ricardo Cortez and Bebe Daniels. Satan Met a Lady another version of the Sam Spade thriller stars Warren William, Bette Davis, and in the Greenstreet role Allison Skipworth.

All the discs are loaded with extras ! .