JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

4,363 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> Fox will be issuing both the original and theatrical remake of *Miracle on 34th Street* on Blu-ray. No set date yet.

classicflix is giving the release date Oct. 6 for the original (presumably the remake as well will be released on that date) and the following extras:

BONUS FEATURES:

* Feature Commentary By Maureen O'Hara

* AMC Backstory: Miracle On 34th Street

* Fox Movietone News Footage: Hollywood Spotlight

* Miracle On 34th Street TV Version

* Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Floating In History Featurette

* Promotional Short

* Poster Gallery

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> Any idea which TV version will be included? 1955 or 1959?

>

> Probably 1955.

You're probably right, musicalnovelty. The classicflix announcement doesn't specify it, but it does say that the extra features are most likely going to be ported over from the last DVD release. According to my info, that DVD had the 1955 version, the one with Thomas Mitchell as Kris Kringle.

My Fair Lady coming from the new rights holder, Paramount - 2 DVDs - October 6th

Commentary by Art Director Gene Allen, Singer Marni Nixon, Restorers Robert A. Harris and Hames C. Katz

Delightful Documentary More Loverly than Ever: My Fair Lady Then and Now

Alternate Audrey Hepburn Vocal Versions of Show Me and Wouldn't it be Loverly?

Vintage Featurettes and Archival Footage of the Production Kickoff, the Hollywood Premiere and Awards Ceremonies

Comments from Rex Harrison, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Martin Scorsese

Show Me Galleries of Production Stills, Sketches, Documents, Posters and More.

Theatrical Trailers

http://www.classicflix.com/fair-lady-special-edition-p-3727.html

Paramount is pretty ridiculous. Why do a straight reissue when a Blu Ray should be forthcoming? I am perfectly happy with my WB edition as many others are.

New Criterions for October:

*Howards End* (Blu-ray) Oct. 20

Special features:

-High-definition digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Tony Pierce-Roberts (with uncompressed Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)

-New appreciation of the late Ismail Merchant by director James Ivory

-Building ?Howards End,? a documentary featuring interviews with Ivory, Merchant, Helena Bonham Carter, costume designer Jenny Beavan, and Academy Award?winning production designer Luciana Arrighi

-The Design of ?Howards End,? a detailed look at the costume and production designs for the film, including original sketches

-The Wandering Company (1984), a 50-minute documentary about the history of Merchant Ivory Productions

-Original 1992 behind-the-scenes featurette

-Original theatrical trailer

-PLUS: An essay by critic Kenneth Turan

*Wings of Desire* (DVD and Blu) Oct. 20

Special features:

-New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Wim Wenders (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)

-Audio commentary featuring Wenders and actor Peter Falk

-The Angels Among Us (2003), a documentary featuring interviews with Wenders, Falk, actors Bruno Ganz and Otto Sander, writer Peter Handke, and composer J?rgen Knieper

-Excerpt from ?Wim Wenders Berlin Jan. 87,? an episode of the French television program Cin?ma cin?mas, including on-set footage

-Interview with director of photography Henri Alekan

-Deleted scenes and outtakes

-Excerpts from the films Alekan la lumi?re (1985) and Remembrance: Film for Curt Bois (about the actor who plays Homer in Wings of Desire)

-Notes and photos by production designer Heidi L?di and art director Toni L?di

-Trailers

-New and improved English subtitle translation

-PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Atkinson and writings by Wenders and Handke

*Monsoon Wedding* (DVD and Blu) Oct. 13

Special features:

-New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Mira Nair and director of photography Declan Quinn (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)

-Audio commentary featuring Nair

-Nair?s short documentaries So Far from India (1983), India Cabaret (1985), and The Laughing Club of India (2001), featuring video introductions by the director

-Nair?s short fiction films The Day the Mercedes Became a Hat (1993), 11?09"01?September 11 (Segment: ?India?) (2002), Migration (2007), and How Can It Be? (2008), featuring video introductions by the director

-New video interview with actor Naseeruddin Shah, conducted by Nair

-New video interviews with Quinn and production designer Stephanie Carroll

-Theatrical trailer

-PLUS: An essay by critic and travel writer Pico Iyer

*Z* (DVD) Oct. 27

Special features:

-New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by cinematographer Raoul Coutard

-Audio commentary featuring film historian Peter Cowie

-New interviews with Costa-Gavras and Coutard

-Archival interviews with Costa-Gavras; producer-actor Jacques Perrin; actors Yves Montand, Ir?ne Papas, and Jean-Louis Trintignant; and Vassilis Vassilikos, author of the book Z

-Theatrical trailer

-PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Armond White

http://www.criterion.com/

Message was edited by: filmlover

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

> Paramount is pretty ridiculous. Why do a straight reissue when a Blu Ray should be forthcoming? I am perfectly happy with my WB edition as many others are.

Paramount has been terrible with all of the movies they've recently re-issued under their so-called "Centennial Collection", all of which are only on DVD. It looks like we're in for a long wait, if we want to watch those on blu-ray.

filmlover- the Criterion releases for Oct. look great! I'm really looking forward to watching Wings of Desire again. :D

from blu-ray.com"

The British Film Institute (BFI) has announced that they will bring the early *Peter Sellers'* films *'Penny Points to Paradise / Let's Go Crazy'* to Blu-ray in the UK as a double feature on August 3rd, day-and-date with the DVD release. Video for this newly restored film will be presented in 1080p AVC accompanied by a PCM soundtrack.

Extras for this release include:

-_The Slappiest Days of our Lives_ (1953, 73 mins): Barely seen since its original release, this virtually forgotten French compilation of clips from vintage silent comedies was re-dubbed by Adelphi Films with a flight-of-fancy voiceover commentary by Peter Sellers. It is both an intriguing oddity and a valuable record of the comedian's formative years as a character ?voice man'. Against a backdrop of extracts from classic early comedy films, Sellers stylishly adopts the vocal personae of some of his comic heroes to take a slapstick trip across the USA.

-Illustrated booklet with essays, restoration notes and original promotional material.

Now that Paramount has another Audrey Hepburn film to release we can expect many, many reissues of this film. Next will be another Hepburn box with MY FAIR LADY included, then a centennial collection DVD, and on and on.

In the new *North by Northwest* release on DVD and Blu-ray, there will be two new documentaries:

The Master's Touch: Hitchcock's Signature Style

North by Northwest: One for the Ages (in this documentary, driectors WIlliam Friedkin, Guillermo del Toro, Curtis Hanson, and Francis Lawrence talk abot the film's importance and the influence on their own work)

plus the following items:

Screenwriter commentary

Music only track

Cary Grant: A Class Apart [2003 TCM Documentary]

Destination Hitchcock: The Making of North by Northwest hosted by Eva Marie Saint

Photo gallery

Trailer gallery

The digibook will be 44 pages long.

Release date is November 3rd.

*The Barbara Stanwyck Show News*

*The Barbara Stanwyck Show, Vol. 1 (1960)*

*Release Date: October 13, 2009*

*_SYNOPSIS_:*

Throughout her illustrious career, Barbara Stanwyck enraptured Hollywood, starring in almost 100 films (including Double Indemnity and Sorry, Wrong Number) and capturing four Oscar-nominations. After conquering the silver screen, Barbara took on the world of television earning Emmy-nominations for her roles in ?The Thorn Birds? and ?The Big Valley.?

In the acclaimed NBC anthology series, The Barbara Stanwyck Show, the beloved actress served as hostess and starred in all but four of the productions. This collection showcases 15 of the most memorable dramas from the Emmy award-winning series.

*Featuring an all-star cast including Milton Berle, Lee Marvin, Vic Morrow and Ralph Bellamy.*

The Key to a Killer

House in Order

The Miraculous Journey of Tadpole Chan

The Secret of Mrs. Randall

Ironbark?s Bride

Out of the Shadows

Night Visitors

Size Ten

Dear Charlie

Dragon by the Trail

The Sisters

Big Career

Confession

Along the Barbary Coast

Shock

*_BONUS FEATURES_:*

?Sponsor?s Table? (Unaired Pilot Episode)

Barbara Stanwyck?s 1961 Emmy acceptance speech

Booklet with written contributions by film historian Robert Osborne

stanwyckshowvol1.jpg

You can bring a Chevy Chase holiday classic home in a huge collector's set in both formats this October. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation will be released in brand new Ultimate Collector's Editions on DVD and Blu-ray on October 27th, 2009.

The new DVD set will be priced at $39.92 SRP while the Blu-ray set will be priced at $49.99 SRP. Both sets will include collectable items like a Santa cap, drink coasters and will come in collectible tin packaging. The film stars Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo and Randy Quaid.

Make merry as Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo, Randy Quaid and an ensemble of comedy favorites strive to gift-wrap the "perfect Christmas" for the Griswold family. The most successful of the three vacations.

*_Special Features_:*

- Deluxe DVD with Griswold Family/Filmmakers Commentary

- Plus Cool Collectibles Galore Inside a Merry Christmas Cannister:

- Marty Moose Snow Powder Marty Moose Santa Cap

- Holiday Drink Coasters with Favorite Movie Quotes

- Christmas Ornament Replica Marty Moose Mug

- "I Survived a Griswold Family Christmas" Button

Think I will save my money on this one. Can't stand Chase nor his silly movies and fifty dollars for this mess, people are out of their mind to spend their hard earned bucks on this dud with all the junk included.

From Barrie Maxwell's latest column...

Sony has announced its third wave of Martini Movies for release on September 8th. The titles are *Model Shop* (1969, with Anouk Aimee and Gary Lockwood), *The Buttercup Chain* (1970 Golden Palm nominee at the Cannes Film Festival), *The Pursuit of Happiness* (1971, directed by Robert Mulligan, with Michael Sarazin and Barbara Hershey), *Summertree* (1971, with Michael Douglas and Barbara Bel Geddes), and *Love and Pain and the Whole Damn Thing* (1973, directed by Alan J. Pakula, with Timothy Bottoms and Maggie Smith). The forthcoming Sony set of Rita Hayworth films, tentatively targeted for early November and expected to include *Tonight and Every Night, Salome, Miss Sadie Thompson, Gilda*, and *Cover Girl*, will feature new transfers of the latter two films.

Well, yesterday?s DVD/Blu-ray panel at the San Diego Comic Con was a washout, at least for classic fans. The focus was on behind-the-scenes footage of current movies. The first half had host Bill Hunt having the guest panelists presenting DVD clips of movies they did extras for, and the second half was devoted to Q&A with the audience and the panel, and the focus continued to be about behind the scenes and not getting into classics. I was going to ask if there was any news of Gone with the Wind, what would be going into it, if Hunt knew, but after several attempts with my hand raised and others being chosen, I gave up and left to rush to another session I wanted to attend that was going on at the same time.

from blu-ray.com:

Blue Underground has announced that they will bring the Australian drama *My Brilliant Career* to Blu-ray on November 24th. Starring Oscar-nominee Judy Davis, this film will be presented in 1.78:1 1080p VC-1 video accompanied by a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Special features for this release include:

* Audio Commentary with Director Gillian Armstrong

* Interview with Director Gillian Armstrong

* Interview with Producer Margaret Fink

* Cannes Film Festival Premiere Featuring Star Judy Davis, Director Gillian Armstrong and Producer Margaret Fink

* The Miles Franklin Story

* Theatrical Trailers

Don't think we've had this before:

Just preliminary information on it now, but Universal will release *The Claudette Colbert Collection* as part of their Universal Backlot Series on November 3rd.

It will be a six film set, with known titles at this point being Bluebeard's Eighth Wife, Maid of Salem, Three-Cornered Moon and The Egg and I (Egg is a re-release and can also be found on Ma & Pa Kettle, Vol. 1).

The three-disc set, on DVD-9's, will have the featurette Claudette Colbert - Queen of the Silver Screen (also released on Cleopatra) and trailers as a bonus.

http://www.classicflix.com/claudette-colbert-collection-universal-backlot-series-bluebeards-eighth-wife-maid-salem-threecornered-moon-p-8989.html

Although this is not a particularly great set for me its nice that Universal keeps dipping into their library of films of the golden age. There are two additional films: NO TIME FOR LOVE, I MET HIM IN PARIS. Never heard of THREE CORNERED MOON. I put this on my maybe list.

Yes, it's nice that they keep digging into their library, but considering they've got nearly all Universal films and a big chunk of Paramount pre-1948 talkies, they're not doing it fast enough. Many movies may never be released on home video, being for all practical purposes as good as lost.

digitalbits.com has a few release notes:

Sony has announced a number of new and re-issue DVD releases, including...Moscow on the Hudson, Hellcats of the Navy, Devil at Four O'Clock, They Came to Cordura, Agnes of God, Big Trouble, Breakout, The Bride, Hangman's Knot, Hanky Panky, The Man Who Loved Women, Someone to Watch Over Me, Mrs. Winterbourne, Sweet Hearts Dance and Murder in Greenwich all for release on 9/1. Also coming on 7/20 are The Freshman, The Long Gray Line, The Owl and the Pussycat and Jakob the Liar.

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

And here's something I can't figure out...Universal is reissuing the individual 4 volumes of Abbott & Costello. First, they discontinued them, issued the box set, and now are going back to the four volumes again, priced around $30 each.

I don't believe this has been posted here... this is a UK release, in both DVD and blu-ray - _not sure if the blu-ray will be region-free or not_:

Eureka Entertainment have announced the UK DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of F. W. Murnau?s *Sunrise* as part of their Masters of Cinema Series on 21st September 2009. This new 2009 reissue of *Sunrise* contains two versions of the film: the previously released Movietone version, and an alternate silent version of the film recently discovered in the Czech Republic. The Blu-ray edition includes both versions in 1080P (and is the first Blu-ray Disc release of the film anywhere in the world).

The culmination of one of the greatest careers in film history, F. W. Murnau?s *Sunrise* blends a story of fable-like simplicity with unparalleled visual imagination and technical ingenuity. Invited to Hollywood by William Fox and given total artistic freedom on any project he wished, Murnau?s tale of the idyllic marriage of a peasant couple (George O?Brien and Janet Gaynor) threatened by a Machiavellian seductress from the city (Margaret Livingston) created a milestone of film expressionism.

Priced at ?22.99 RRP on DVD (2-Disc Special Edition) and ?24.99 RRP on Blu-ray Disc, features are outlined below?

* Restored high-definition transfers of two different versions: the American Movietone version, and the silent Czech version.

* Original English intertitles on the Movietone version, and optional English subtitles on the silent Czech version.

* Original Movietone score (mono) and alternate Olympic Chamber Orchestra score (stereo)

* Full-length audio commentary by ASC cinematographer John Bailey on the Movietone version

* Outtakes with either John Bailey commentary or intertitles

* Murnau?s 4 Devils: Traces of a Lost Film ? Janet Bergstrom?s updated 40-minute documentary about the lost Murnau film

* Original theatrical trailer

* Original ?photoplay? script by Carl Mayer with Murnau?s handwritten annotations (150 pages in pdf format)

* 68-page illustrated booklet with numerous essays including a new reprint of a piece by Dudley Andrew

I mentioned the rumor back on June 5th about Sunrise, but didn't have details of the extras, so okay to leave in. Do you have a link?