JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

4,291 posts in this topic

Yes definitely interested in the Criterion for The Princess Bride.  ;)

November Criterion Titles Announced

8Z68h0ZUt4LzJE6hZO2rLOvfrA9avZ_small.jpg

A Story from Chikamatsu  (1954)           November 6

SPECIAL FEATURES

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

New interview with actor Kyoko Kagawa

Mizoguchi: The Auteur Behind the “Metteur-en-scène,” a new illustrated audio essay by film scholar Dudley Andrew

Trailer

New English subtitle translation

PLUS: An essay by film scholar Haden Guest

QsIig1CXGzvqmO7UR79mko1R3l2NoX_small.jpg

Some Like It Hot  (1959)                        November 13

SPECIAL FEATURES

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

Audio commentary from 1989 featuring film scholar Howard Suber

New program on Orry-Kelly’s costumes for the film, featuring costume designer and historian Deborah Nadoolman Landis and costume historian and archivist Larry McQueen

Three making-of documentaries

Appearance from 1982 by director Billy Wilder on The Dick Cavett Show

Conversation from 2001 between actor Tony Curtis and film critic Leonard Maltin

French television interview from 1988 with actor Jack Lemmon

Trailer

PLUS: An essay by author Sam Wasson

KzkULFHCmg1KGSgM6OAm6LQUONSDWJ_small.jpg

The Magnificent Ambersons  (1942)       November 20

SPECIAL FEATURES

Two audio commentaries, featuring film scholars Robert Carringer and James Naremore and critic Jonathan Rosenbaum

New interviews with scholars Simon Callow and Joseph McBride

New video essay on the film’s cinematographers by scholar François Thomas

New video essay on the film’s score by scholar Christopher Husted

Welles on The Dick Cavett Show in 1970

Segment from Pampered Youth, a 1925 silent adaptation of The Magnificent Ambersons

Audio from a 1979 AFI symposium on Welles

Two Mercury Theatre radio plays: Seventeen (1938), an adaptation of another Booth Tarkington novel by Welles, and The Magnificent Ambersons (1939)

Trailer

PLUS: An essay by critic Molly Haskell and (Blu-ray only) essays by authors and critics Luc Sante, Geoffrey O’Brien, Farran Smith Nehme, and Jonathan Lethem, and excerpts from an unfinished 1982 memoir by Welles

hc29OFd2LPasAznwjrzhNK7TGvlaJ7_small.jpg

True Stories  (1986)                               November 20

SPECIAL FEATURES

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director David Byrne and cinematographer Ed Lachman, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack, supervised by Byrne, on the Blu-ray

New documentary about the film’s production, featuring Byrne, Lachman, writer Stephen Tobolowsky, executive producer Ed Pressman, coproducer Karen Murphy, fashion-show costume designer Adelle Lutz, consultant Christina Patoski, actor Jo Harvey Allen, and musician Terry Allen

CD with 23 songs, containing the film’s complete soundtrack, compiled here for the first time (Blu-ray only)

Real Life (1986), a short documentary by Pamela Yates and Newton Thomas Sigel made on the set of the film

No Time to Look Back, a new homage to Virgil, Texas, the fictional town where True Stories is set

New program about designer Tibor Kalman and his influence on Byrne and role in the film, featuring Byrne and Kalman’s wife, artist Maira Kalman

Deleted scenes

Trailer

PLUS: An essay by critic Rebecca Bengal, along with, for the Blu-ray edition, new pieces by journalist and author Joe Nick Patoski and Byrne, a 1986 piece by actor Spalding Gray on the film’s production, some of the tabloid stories that inspired the film, and a selection of Byrne’s preproduction photography and writing about the film’s visual motifs

plus, the previously announced mega-set

tKFKOgGoH5bF64n2r7YLfezGOkZBvO_small.jpg

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema                    November 20

In honor of Ingmar Bergman’s one-hundredth birthday, the Criterion Collection is proud to present the most comprehensive collection of his films ever released on home video. One of the most revelatory voices to emerge from the postwar explosion of international art-house cinema, Bergman was a master storyteller who startled the world with his stark intensity and naked pursuit of the most profound metaphysical and spiritual questions. The struggles of faith and morality, the nature of dreams, and the agonies and ecstasies of human relationships—Bergman explored these subjects in films ranging from comedies whose lightness and complexity belie their brooding hearts to groundbreaking formal experiments and excruciatingly intimate explorations of family life.

Arranged as a film festival with opening and closing nights bookending double features and centerpieces, this selection spans six decades and thirty-nine films—including such celebrated classics as The Seventh Seal, Persona, and Fanny and Alexander alongside previously unavailable works like Dreams, The Rite, and Brink of Life. Accompanied by a 248-page book with essays on each program, as well as by more than thirty hours of supplemental features, Ingmar Bergman’s Cinematraces themes and images across Bergman’s career, blazing trails through the master’s unequaled body of work for longtime fans and newcomers alike.

Check the link for more info: https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1427-ingmar-bergman-s-cinema

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Well this is just great. I can feel my November wallet shrinking with every Criterion post you make. My brain is in a battle wondering just how long the very shaky business model of Barnes and Noble can last versus the capacity of my wallet.

• Haha 1

Woohoo! “Some Like it Hot” ! I didn’t even notice that Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis are on the cover too. 

-and- “The Magnificent Ambersons” ? 

Just in time for the next sale! 

• Like 1

It appears that the cover art has changed for the Criterion release of Some Like It Hot due out November 13. Here's the new cover:

5ZrsCMJikkq6bPNmWjofhZswbi544L_small.jpg

• Like 3

The Farmer's Daughter (1947) is finally being released on DVD and Blu-ray by Kino Lorber Studio Classics!!  It had never, to my knowledge, been previously released on a region 1 disc.

This comedy about a young Swedish-American woman from a Minnesota farm who runs for Congress is delightful from start to finish.  Loretta Young won her Best Actress Oscar for the role, and Charles Bickford was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. 

The release date is Sept. 25, 2018.

• Thanks 2

December Criterion Titles Announced!

A Dry White Season  (1989)    December 11

ASnRN4Kj6AdEv8RJTDrHKhIve2ZFQY_small.jpg

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray

New interview with director Euzhan Palcy by film critic Scott Foundas

Five Scenes, a new program featuring Palcy

Interview from 1989 with actor Donald Sutherland

Excerpt from a 1995 interview Palcy conducted with Nelson Mandela

Footage of Palcy receiving the highest distinction for foreign dignitaries at the 2017 South African National Orders awards

PLUS: An essay by filmmaker and scholar Jyoti Mistry

Forty Guns    (1957)      December 11

hEMcXIbp0l0hlL0MnVd6tAZCCiemH6_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

New interview with director Samuel Fuller’s widow, Christa Lang-Fuller, and daughter, Samantha Fuller

A Fuller Life (2013), a feature-length documentary by Samantha Fuller about her father, featuring admirers and collaborators Wim Wenders, William Friedkin, Mark Hamill, James Franco, Monte Hellman, Jennifer Beals, Bill Duke, Constance Towers, and others

New interview with critic Imogen Sara Smith, author of In Lonely Places: Film Noir Beyond the City

Stills gallery

PLUS: An essay by film scholar Lisa Dombrowski and excerpts from Fuller’s 2002 autobiography, A Third Face: My Tale of Writing, Fighting, and Filmmaking

Panique    (1946)    December 18

CgM0xL1w053hSfTPUxWl8HH8UBp2jI_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

The Art of Subtitling, a new short documentary by Bruce Goldstein, founder and copresident of Rialto Pictures, about the history of subtitles

New interview with author Pierre Simenon, the son of novelist Georges Simenon

Conversation from 2015 between critics Guillemette Odicino and Eric Libiot about director Julien Duvivier and the film’s production history

Rialto Pictures rerelease trailer

New English subtitle translation by Duvivier expert Lenny Borger

PLUS: Essays by film scholar James Quandt and Borger

Plus a Blu-ray upgrade of:

Sawdust and Tinsel   (1953)    December 18

xvWUTsUwqlyfDFICltA1KFvzusbOXv_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

New 2K digital restoration (Blu-ray) or restored high-definition digital transfer of the film (DVD), with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

Audio commentary by Ingmar Bergman scholar Peter Cowie

Introduction by Bergman from 2003

PLUS: An essay by critic John Simon and (DVD only) an appreciation by filmmaker Catherine Breillat 

• Thanks 4

January Criterion Titles Announced!

24 Frames    (2017)        January 8

lbWguDGRXPyIVW9oJ1BLa2f1GSAG10_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• 2K digital master, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with director Abbas Kiarostami’s son Ahmad Kiarostami, who helped finish the film after his father’s death
  • New conversation between Iranian film scholar Jamsheed Akrami and film critic Godfrey Cheshire
  • New short documentary about the making of the film by Abbas Kiarostami collaborator Salma Monshizadeh
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Bilge Ebiri

Notorious    (1946)        January 15

JPKjYXvzfvIPG3IAPXcfraP20IiWhV_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentaries from 1990 and 2001 featuring Alfred Hitchcock scholar Marian Keane and film historian Rudy Behlmer
  • New interview with Hitchcock biographer Donald Spoto
  • New program about the film’s visuals with cinematographer John Bailey
  • New scene analysis by film scholar David Bordwell
  • Once Upon a Time . . . “Notorious,” a 2009 documentary about the film featuring actor Isabella Rossellini; filmmakers Peter Bogdanovich, Claude Chabrol, and Stephen Frears; and others
  • New program about Hitchcock’s storyboarding and previsualization process by filmmaker Daniel Raim
  • 1948 newsreel footage of actor Ingrid Bergman and Hitchcock
  • 1948 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of Notorious, starring Bergman and Joseph Cotten
  • Trailers and teasers
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Angelica Jade Bastién

Mikey and Nicky      (1976)        January 22

YdcUA8pNAJMrE2ohla7lNNYktgjcug_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Elaine May, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New program on the making of the film featuring interviews with producer Michael Hausman, distributor Julian Schlossberg, and actor Joyce Van Patten
  • New interviews with critics Richard Brody and Carrie Rickey
  • Audio interview from 1976 with actor Peter Falk
  • Trailer

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days     (2007)        January 22

l2Q2n24ks84HZnVyuZvxqzIJk55lgR_small.jpg

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by director Cristian Mungiu, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with Mungiu
  • New interview with film critic Jay Weissberg on the New Romanian Cinema
  • Press conference from the 2007 Cannes Film Festival, featuring Mungiu; director of photography Oleg Mutu; and actors Laura Vasiliu, Vlad Ivanov, and Alexandru Potocean
  • The Romanian Tour, a short documentary from 2007 on the film’s reception in Romania
  • Alternate and deleted scenes
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Ella Taylor

In the Heat of the Night     (1967)         January 29

ExYYUVTlag0SEkgRp5hxVmECDKJ25y_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with director Norman Jewison
  • New interview with actor Lee Grant
  • New interview with Aram Goudsouzian, author of Sidney Poitier: Man, Actor, Icon
  • Audio commentary from 2008 featuring Jewison, Grant, actor Rod Steiger, and cinematographer Haskell Wexler
  • Turning Up the Heat: Movie-Making in the ’60s, a 2008 program about the production of the film and its legacy, featuring Jewison, Wexler, producer Walter Mirisch, and filmmakers John Singleton and Reginald Hudlin
  • Quincy Jones: Breaking New Sound, a 2008 program about Jones’s innovative soundtrack, including its title song sung by Ray Charles, featuring interviews with Jones, lyricists Alan and Marilyn Bergman, and musician Herbie Hancock
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic K. Austin Collins

• Thanks 3

Would love to see Fellini's The White Sheik (1952) get the Criterion treatment.  It's on their website but listed as out of print.  TCM showed it a few years ago.  

• Like 2

On 11/2/2018 at 1:16 PM, cinemaspeak59 said:

Would love to see Fellini's The White Sheik (1952) get the Criterion treatment.  It's on their website but listed as out of print.  TCM showed it a few years ago.  

I bought the Criterion version years ago and am sorry to hear it is out of print. 

February Criterion Titles Announced

Shame    (1968)      February 5

BaJBLLwAx0tvc2r5yx6b5fgUSWkGGe_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Interviews with director Ingmar Bergman and a brief excerpt from a press conference for the film, recorded in 1967 and ’68 for Swedish television
  • New interview with actor Liv Ullmann
  • An Introduction to Ingmar Bergman, a 1968 documentary made during the film’s production, featuring an extensive interview with Bergman
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Michael Sragow

La Verite    (1960)        February 12

SY1JhRuHJNtbFE0z2GaXxAJG12O5JA_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Le scandale Clouzot, a sixty-minute documentary from 2017 on director Henri-Georges Clouzot
  • Interview from 1960 with Clouzot
  • Interview with actor Brigitte Bardot from the 1982 documentary Brigitte Bardot telle qu’elle
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Ginette Vincendeau

Death in Venice     (1971)        February 19

6Sih2y6NRUfuPxa5MOSpbNEim3ydUM_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Luchino Visconti: Life as in a Romance, a 2008 documentary about Visconti, featuring actors Burt Lancaster, Silvana Mangano, and Marcello Mastroianni; filmmakers Francesco Rosi and Franco Zeffirelli; and others
  • Alla ricerca di Tadzio, a 1970 program on Visconti’s efforts to cast the role of Tadzio
  • New program featuring literature and cinema scholar Stefano Albertini
  • Interview from 2006 with costume designer Piero Tosi
  • Excerpt from a 1990 program about the music in Visconti’s films, featuring Bogarde and actor Marisa Berenson
  • Television broadcast from 1971 in which Visconti discusses the film
  • Visconti’s Venice, a short 1970 behind-the-scenes documentary featuring Visconti and Bogarde
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Dennis Lim

To Sleep with Anger    (1990)      February 26

46yurEoaBasJdHdF47DqXpPZtCQZPf_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, approved by director Charles Burnett, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview program featuring Burnett, actors Danny Glover and Sheryl Lee Ralph, and associate producer Linda Koulisis
  • A Walk with Charles Burnett, a new hour-long conversation between Burnett and filmmaker Robert Townsend that revisits Burnett’s films and shooting locations
  • Short video tribute to Burnett produced for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Governors Awards ceremony in 2017
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Ashley Clark

Plus a Blu-Ray upgrade for:

Berlin Alexanderplatz      (1980)        February 12

HkmiAJeukYH7OdffZ53S8gVu9ojPoZ_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• High-definition digital restoration by the Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation and Bavaria Media, supervised and approved by director of photography Xaver Schwarzenberger, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Two documentaries by Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation president Juliane Lorenz: one from 2007 featuring interviews with the cast and crew, the other from 2006 on the restoration
  • Hans-Dieter Hartl’s 1980 documentary Notes on the Making of “Berlin Alexanderplatz”
  • Phil Jutzi’s 1931 feature-length film of Alfred Döblin’s novel, from a screenplay cowritten by Döblin himself
  • Interview from 2007 with Peter Jelavich, author of “Berlin Alexanderplatz”: Radio, Film, and the Death of Weimar Culture
  • PLUS: A book featuring an essay by filmmaker Tom Tykwer, reflections on the novel by Fassbinder and author Thomas Steinfeld, and an interview with Schwarzenberger

• Like 1

Shame is a good one and one of my favorite Bergman's definitely. Still haven't seen Berlin Alexanderplatz yet but this DVD of it seems to have a lot of interesting bonus material. It looks like the 1931 version in its entirety is among the bonus material! now that's a good deal. 

3 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Shame is a good one and one of my favorite Bergman's definitely. Still haven't seen Berlin Alexanderplatz yet but this DVD of it seems to have a lot of interesting bonus material. It looks like the 1931 version in its entirety is among the bonus material! now that's a good deal. 

I'll probably get the Shame release, as it's one of my favorite Bergman's as well. I have the bare bones MGM DVD, but I'd like the bonus features and the remastered picture.

The previous DVD of Berlin Alexanderplatz has a $99.99 asking price, while the new Blu-Ray edition is $79.99!

To Sleep with Anger is one that I've wanted to see for awhile. It's listed in a book on Cult Movies that I have. I haven't seen Death in Venice, but I have it recorded. I've never heard of La Verite.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I'll probably get the Shame release, as it's one of my favorite Bergman's as well. I have the bare bones MGM DVD, but I'd like the bonus features and the remastered picture.

The previous DVD of Berlin Alexanderplatz has a $99.99 asking price, while the new Blu-Ray edition is $79.99!

To Sleep with Anger is one that I've wanted to see for awhile. It's listed in a book on Cult Movies that I have. I haven't seen Death in Venice, but I have it recorded. I've never heard of La Verite.

I hadn't heard of either To Sleep With Anger or La Verite before but both look interesting.

20 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I hadn't heard of either To Sleep With Anger or La Verite before but both look interesting.

I think Death in Venice is a masterful masterpiece. Bogarde is incredibly moving in the chief role. I hope you enjoy it.