JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

4,237 posts in this topic

I can see that 2007 is going to break my bank account unless I find a classic movie sugar daddy. I'm so happy to see that A SUMMER PLACE is finally coming out.

Hi, Ken123 and everyone,

I know at first it is instinctive to review something here in the Upcoming Releases thread as soon as something that has been mentioned here as upcoming comes out, but it actually defeats the purpose of this thread, which should remain as just news about what is coming up. I created all the other threads in the DVD section so we can review them there. For example, the Bogart box set should be reviewed, to my way of thinking, in the Box Sets thread. I mention this because if we list Upcoming Releases here and then review them in this same thread when it comes out, it messes up the Upcoming Releases flow.

Today is the day that the Five disk Motion Picture Masterpieces (featuring Marie Antoinette is released. In addition (and I don't think this has been noted in this thread yet), today is the scheduled release date for Hollywood's Legends of Horror Collection featuring Doctor X , The Return of Doctor X, Mad Love, The Devil Doll, Mark of the Vampire, and The Mask of Fu Manchu. Thank you, Warner Home Video!

Preston Sturges The Filmmaker Collection due on November 21st, according to Amazon. Includes: The Great McGinty, Christmas in July, The Lady Eve, Sullivan' Travels, The Palm Beach Story, The Great Moment, and Hail the Conquering Hero. No word about extras.

Details on The Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition due November 28th (from someone who posted on Amazon):

DISC 1- Superman The Movie

* Original 1978 theatrical version with Commentary by producer Pierre Spengler and executive producer Ilya Salkind

* Theatrical trailers, TV Spots

* Soundtrack in Dolby Digital 5.1

DISC 2- Superman The Movie

* 2001 expanded edition movie with commentary by director Richard Donner & creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz

* Music-only audio track

DISC 3- Superman The Movie

* Taking Flight: The Development of Superman

* Making Superman: Filming the Legend

* The Magic Behind the Cape

* Restored scenes

* Screen tests

* Audio-only bonus: additional music cues

DISC 4- Superman The Movie

* Vintage TV special The Making of Superman the Movie

* 1951 Movie Superman and the Mole-Men, starring George Reeves

* 9 Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons mastered from superior vault elements

DISC 5- Superman II

* Movie with commentary by producer Pierre Spengler and executive producer Ilya Salkind

* Additional scenes (over 8 minutes worth)

DISC 6- Superman II

* Vintage TV specials The Making of Superman II & Superman's 50th Anniversary

* New featurette First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series

* The Remaining 8 Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons mastered from superior vault elements

DISC 7- Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

*All new introduction by director Richard Donner

*Commentary by director Richard Donner and creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz

*New featurette Superman II: Restoring the Vision

*Additional scenes

*Dolby Digital 5.1

DISC 7- Superman III

* Movie with commentary by producer Pierre Spengler and executive producer Ilya Salkind

* Vintage TV special The Making of Superman III

* Additional scenes (over 19 minutes worth)

* Theatrical trailer

DISC 9- Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

* Movie with commentary by screenwriter Mark Rosenthal

* Additional scenes (over 30 minutes worth!)

* Theatrical trailer

DISC 10- Superman Returns

*Theatrical cut

*Dolby Digital 5.1

DISC 11- Superman Returns

*Requiem for Krypton: Making Superman Returns 3hr multi-part documentary

*Deleted Scenes

DISC 12- You'll believe: Making of A Saga

*All-new six-part documentary about the original theatrical franchise

*Forging the Man of Steel- Superman in the media, and the challenges the Salkinds faced

*Creating the Vision- creating the right script, choosing the right director and casting the right actors

*Believe- the production and launch of a new kind of fantasy film

*Crisis- complications and conflicts between the creative forces behind Superman II

*Downfall- criticisms and burnout of Superman III and Superman IV

*Legacy- filmmakers, writers and artists reflect

*Bonus New Documentaries- The Mythology of Superman, The Science of Superman, Remembering Christopher Reeve

DISC 13- Look, Up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman

*Kevin Burns documentary on Superman's history

DISC 14- Bryan Singer's blogs

*All the web blogs plus two never-before-seen

Additional Goodies

- Reproduction of Superman Comic # 7

- Superman Overview booklet

- Mail-in offer for 5 Superman Movie Posters

That looks to be the DVD set of the year to get. It will also be available in a tin box.

Superman The Theatrical Serials Collection (which has both) will be available Nov. 28th. No details of any special features yet. Amazon has a great advance sale price on it of $19.03, which is 52% off the street price $39.98!

And the final DVD collection in The Adventures of Superman TV show (seasons 5 & 6) will be released on November 14th.

More info on the November 7th release date of the Gary Cooper Signature Collection: Films are Sergeant York (a 2-DVD release), The Fountainhead, Dallas, Springfield Rifle, and Wreck of the Mary Deare. According to a person posting on Amazon, York and Fountainhead are the only ones with extras:

Sergeant York

Disc 1:-

Commentary by Jeannine Basinger

Classic cartoon Porky's Preview

Vintage short Lions for Sale

Cooper Trailer Gallery

Languages: English & French

Subtitles: English, French & Spanish (feature film only)

Disc 2:-

Two insightful documentaries:

New making-of featurette Sergeant York: Of God and Country

Vintage biographical profile Gary Cooper: American Life, American Legend

The Fountainhead (1949)

New featurette The Making of The Fountainhead

Theatrical trailer

Subtitles: English, French & Spanish (feature film only)

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Robert Mitchum: The Signature Collection for 23rd January 2007. This six-disc set includes Angel Face, Macao, Home From The Hill, The Sundowners, The Good Guys and The Bad Guys and The Yakuza.

All titles will be available separately ($19.98 SRP) or as part of the collection ($59.92 SRP).

It?s usually the other way around, but we?re currently waiting on the press release for details on the bonus content so for now you?ll just have to make do with the artwork?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Edgecliff has noted the following:

"FOX Home Video has announced five new titles for release in January: Three Doris Day movies: Do Not Disturb with Rod Taylor, Move Over Darling with James Garner (probably the best of the three Day Fox movies) and Caprice with Rod Taylor. Caprice is probably the worst film Day ever made. I remember in this one, Day was photographed under tons of gauze.

Also released is another stinker: Mr. Billion. Can't understand why this obscure comedy is being released on DVD...

The goodie in these new releases is the long awaited Rouben Mamoulian classic Blood and Sand. This is one of the most gorgeous Technicolor film I have ever seen. It should be spectacular on DVD."

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE: ROBERT MITCHUM SIGNATURE COLLECTION

Robert Mitchum: The Signature Collection giftset will be available in superslim packaging for $59.92 SRP and the individual titles will be available for $19.97 SRP.

Mitchum was one of Hollywood?s most durable leading men, with a career that spanned more than 50 years and over 120 films. ?His laconic, heavy-lidded manner was deceptively casual, disguising a potent screen presence.? (appbio.net) An icon of Film Noir, his career peaked from the late ?40s through the early ?60s and his versatility showed equally well in westerns and romantic dramas. Born in Bridgeport, Connecticut on August 6, 1917, Mitchum was frequently in trouble as a youth and left home in his teens. He first worked at various jobs including coal miner, ditch digger, professional boxer, among others, before discovering acting at the Long Beach Theater Guild in 1942. Soon after, he debuted in films as an extra. He found superstar success in his roles of macho heroes and villains who talked tough and lived rough, with appeal to both men and women who loved his physical presence, deep resonant voice and sexy bad boy demeanor.

In addition to those in the Collection, Mitchum?s most notable films included Out of the Past, Heaven Knows Mr. Allison, Night of the Hunter, Friends of Eddie Coyle, Farewell My Lovely and The Big Sleep (as Philip Marlowe), Mr. North, Cape Fear and Dead Man. His notable television appearances included the mini-series The Winds of War and its sequel, War and Remembrance.

Angel Face (1952)

Otto Preminger, who showed how to mix a beautiful woman with murder in the landmark Laura, directs this tale of a passion gone haywire. Frank?s (Robert Mitchum) a regular guy with a steady girl and a dream of owning his own garage when he crosses paths with Diane (Jean Simmons). She wants him. Or does she want a fall guy to blame when Diane?s stepmother plunges off a high cliff and leaves her fortune to Diane? Alibis, betrayals, courtroom thrills and the fire of a woman too dangerous to trust and too alluring to resist make Angel Face a film-noir classic. His pairing with Simmons was the first of three.

Features include:

Commentary by author and historian Eddie Muller

Subtitles: English (feature film only)

Languages: English, Fran?ais

Macao (1952)

Robert Mitchum?s the cool male -- broad shoulders, hooded eyes and laconic wit. Jane Russell?s the incendiary female -- voluptuous curves, lushly lipsticked mouth and sardonic comebacks. Together they?re two dead-on talented and drop-dead gorgeous stars who brought out the best in each other in His Kind of Woman and Macao, the two gutsy film noirs they made together. In Macao, directed by the legendary Josef Von Sternberg, audiences know they?re in for a dynamite ride from the moment he saves her from a lecherous goon ? and she picks his pocket. The story, set in the exotic East Asian port, involves stolen diamonds, undercover New York cops, mistaken identities, double crosses and murder.

Features include:

Commentary by author and historian Eddie Muller, screenwriter Stanley Rubin and actress Jane Russell

TCM Private Screenings with Robert Mitchum and Jane Russell, hosted by Robert Osborne

Home from the Hill (1960)

Wade Hunnicutt is a big man who casts a big shadow, one that looms over the Texas backwoodsmen who work his land?over the beautiful, embittered he wife cheats on?and over the sons ? one from marriage and one illegitimate ? who strive for their father?s respect. Robert Mitchum ?gives one of his greatest performances? (Michael Barson, The Illustrated Who?s Who of Hollywood Directors) as Wade, and Vincente Minnelli directs this sprawling, emotionally volatile tale of an epic clash between generations. In early-career roles, George Peppard and George Hamilton costar as Wade?s sons, determined to be their own men, yet in danger of repeating their father?s life-crippling legacy of lust and violence.

Features include:

Theatrical trailer

Languages: English & Fran?ais

Subtitles: English, Fran?ais & Espa?ol (feature film only)

The Sundowners (1960)

Four-time Academy Award? winner Fred Zinnemann directs this warm-hearted tale of 1920 Australia. Robert Mitchum and Deborah Kerr play Paddy and Ida, a devoted couple suddenly at odds. Ida and her son, Sean (Michael Anderson Jr.) want a farm of their own. But settling down is more than Paddy?s untethered spirit can bear. The Sundowners earned five Oscar? nominations including Best Picture, won Kerr the New York Film Critics Best Actress Award and made Mitchum the National Board of Review Best Actor choice for this and Home from the Hill.

Features include:

Vintage featurette On Location with The Sundowners

Theatrical trailer

The Good Guys & the Bad Guys (1969)

Robert Mitchum and George Kennedy ease into their roles like long-time saddle pals in this western comedy directed by Burt Kennedy (Support Your Local Sheriff). One (Mitchum) is dedicated to the law, the other (Kennedy) to lawbreaking. Each has seen better days. And each gets to relive them when they team to stop ice-blooded Waco (David Carradine) and his gang of gold thieves.

Features include:

First-Time Widescreen video release [16x9 2.4:1]

Vintage featurette The Good Guy from Chama

Theatrical trailer

The Yakuza (1975)

Robert Mitchum is Kilmer in this haunting East-meets-West head-on thriller powered by a team of heavy Hollywood hitters: writers Paul Schrader (Taxi Driver) and Robert Towne (Chinatown) and director Sydney Pollack (The Interpreter). Co-starring Japan?s Takakura Ken and veteran character actor Brian Keith, The Yakuza is a modern film noir in which honor and loyalty become issues of life and death. Violence erupts with the speed of a Tokyo-bound bullet train. And the last thing to die is tradition.

Features include:

Commentary by director Sydney Pollack

Vintage featurette Promises to Keep

A reminder that the Astaire & Rogers Collection, Vol. 2 featuring Flying Down to Rio, The Gay Divorcee, Roberta[/i], Carefree and The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle will be released October 24.

Supposedly they'll feature the additional supplements:

Carefree: Musical short Public Jitterbug No. 1; and the cartoon September in the Rain.

Flying Down to Rio: Comedy short Beer and Pretzels with Ted Healy and His Stooges; Cartoon I Like Mountain Music; theatrical trailer

The Gay Divorcee: Musical shorts Show Kids and Night at the Cocoanut Grove; cartoon Shake Your Powder Puff; audio-only bonus Hollywood on the Air radio promo; theatrical trailer.

Roberta: Musical short Starlit Days at the Lido; cartoon The Calico Dragon; audio-only bonus Hollywood on the Air radio promo; theatrical trailer.

The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle: Musical short Happily Buried; cartoon Puss Gets the Boot.

Warner has officially announced the DVD release of more catalog titles, including Blume in Love, The Clock, Crossing Delancey, Miracle in the Rain and A Summer Place for 2/6/07, with The Butcher Boy, Ginger & Fred, Performance and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner following on 2/13.

Oh wow! Seeing that "A Summer Place" and "Miracle in the Rain" are going to be released very soon is quite possible the best news I've heard in a while! I'm extremely excited for both of those, as I've never seen "A Summer Place" and really, really loved "Miracle in the Rain" (every copy should come with a free box of tissues).

I'm also really excited for the Mitchum collection. There are a few movies in that one that I've been looking forward to coming out on dvd--"The Sundowners" and "The Good Guys and the Bad Guys" mainly.

Warner really is doing a great job on their classic releases! And they're only announcing the beginning of 2007!

shearerchic, hate to ask again but can you go back into your Robert Mitchum photos posting and either shrink the size of the pics or else you can insert a paragraph symbol after each one, because at least then there will be a spacing up and down between each pic.

It is just too hard to read the board the way it is now because of it stretching so far to the right side. Until the pics are corrected the entire thread will always remain this way.

thanks,

filmlover.

On October 23, 2006, www.AliceFaye.com updated with this news:

"ALICE FAYE DVD BOX SET COMING FROM FOX VIDEO.

"Fox Video plans to release four more of Alice's films on DVD. They are On the Avenue, Lillian Russell, That Night In Rio, and The Gang's All Here."

I am surprised by the titles included, having expected something more akin to the Alice Faye VHS collection released in 1994. But, of course, any of Alice's films are welcome.

I haven't found any release date for the Alice Faye collection; perhaps shearerchic04 or Edgecliff can supply it.

The prospect this collection is becoming more alluring. I've been wishing for a flock of Faye films since Fox graced us with The Betty Grable Collection, Vol. 1, but their choice of titles (if indeed these are the definite titles) still finds me perplexed. On the Avenue was expected and is appreciated. However, Lillian Russell, which is regarded with contention even in Moshier's Alice Faye Movie Book, seems an odd choice for the first collection. Much as I want to see the melancholy "Blue Lovebird" performed, I think this could have waited for Volume 2 when the DVD buying public is so enthralled with Alice via volume 1 that they'll know they want more. Thus both collections will sell well. See?

I would love to see The Gang's All Here released as a single, allowing Hello, Frisco, Hello to take it's stead in the collection.

When it comes to That Night In Rio, my surprise is of the joyful variety. Alice looks and sounds sensational in this Technicolored delight which boasts, among other attributes, not just one, but two Don Ameches.

Qualms aside, I'm eager to own this collection. I just hope its release will be well-appreciated so that we may see much of the fabulous Faye on DVD.

Message was edited by:

randomeve

randomeva, the source of this information came from the Alice Faye website and they did not post a street date. Hopefully the set will be released the early part of 2007. I agree that LILLIAN RUSSELL seems like an odd choice for the set and was unexpected. Personally I would prefer HOLLYWOOD CALVALCADE. I am not terribly fond of HELLO FRISCO HELLO with the exception of the song "You'll Never Know," although I do own this film on VHS. Maybe the RUSSELL film was selected since there was little restoration to be done on this film. In any case I am happy that FOX is releasing more of Faye on DVD.

Hi---I noticed on a list of upcoming dvd releases that HOLIDAY AFFAIR is coming out on Nov. 7th----but the website (deepdiscountdvd.com) does not give any details about the movie. I don't even know if this is the 1949 RKO feature starring Robert Mitchum (which I hope it is). Has anyone here heard anything about it?

From Barrie Maxwell at the Bits here, some exciting news for classic film fans:

...I begin this column's section on new announcements with some comments that George Feltenstein, Senior Vice President of Theatrical Catalog Marketing for Warner Bros., kindly passed on to me. I've already mentioned above the hiatus in Bogart titles for 2007, but that will be more than compensated by Warners' plans to release 200 or so titles new to DVD this coming year. Although no specific titles were mentioned, classic enthusiasts can look for at least one collection and usually two each month. These will include all new-to-DVD titles except where a previously released title has been substantially upgraded in terms of master quality and supplements (such as was the case with The Maltese Falcon recently). In addition, there will be some repackagings of previously-released titles into box sets, but that will be distinct from the 200 or so new titles. There will be no sets issued that include a mixture of old and new releases. It sounds like Warner Bros. is already staking out best studio of the year status for 2007. Classic fans can only rejoice in the continued commitment!

It's going to be another expensive year...

MissGoddess, the HOLIDAY AFFAIR your refer to is probably a 1955 TV film which starred Phyllis Thaxter and Scott Brady. Unfortunately, there have been no announcements for release of the RKO film of the same name.

As an alternate to the Dick Cavett interviews, on 11/7 Koch will release THE BEST OF PERSON TO PERSON. These are in-person, at home, 1950's interviews conducted by Edward R. Morrow, with some major stars/personalities including: John and Jackie Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, Bogart & Bacall, Marlon Brando, Elizabeth Taylor, Duke Ellington, Paul Newman & Joanne Woodward, Arthur Rubenstein, Sophia Loren, Harpo & Groucho Marx, Kirk Douglas, Fred Astaire, Benny Goodman, Milton Berle and Bette Davis. I have seen a few of these interviews including the enjoyable Astaire program, at the TV & Radio Museum in L.A. and they are interesting as well as fun and I personally prefer these to the Cavett programs. This will be a 3 disc set. I really think this is a set worth having.

The news from Warner Brothers about the 200 DVD releases in 2007 is fantastic. That means that most of their films on TCM's list of top 200 movies not on DVD will be out next year. Strange Cargo, The Mask of Dimitrios and Edge of Darkness should make the cut. My personal favorite It All Came True could also squeeze in a Bogey box set because it is an Ann Sheridan-Humphrey Bogart musical-comedy that deserves to be more widely seen. Making a list of potential releases would be an interesting exercise in wish fulfillment.

Here's some interesting information. DVD Planet has a regular column on its front page of the website that lists the top 25 pre-orders for the last 2 weeks. What is interesting is how many of them are for classic films (I've marked them with an *):

* 1. Pandora's Box

2. Double Life of Veronique

* 3. Fallen Idol

4. Cars

* 5. Looney Tunes - Golden Collection: Vol. 4

6. Police Squad! - The Complete Series

* 7. Adventures of Superman - The Complete 5th and 6th Seasons

* 8. Flower Drum Song

* 9. Forbidden Planet

* 10. Preston Sturges: The Filmmaker Collection

* 11. Sergeant York

12. Alias: The Complete Fifth Season

* 13. Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection

* 14. The Conformist

15. Ice Age: the Meltdown

16. DaVinci Code

* 17. Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition

* 18. Forbidden Planet

19. Doctor Who - The Hand of Fear

20. 24 - Season Five

21. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Complete Sixth Season

* 22. Mutiny on the Bounty (Brando)

23. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

24. Family Guy - Volume 4

25. Sopranos - Season 6: Part 1

That shows that there are people who buy classics, not just TV series. The studios like Paramount should really pay attention. Seven of the top ten are older films (okay, so Adventures of Superman was a TV series, but still it was the George Reeves Superman and it is from the Fifties).