JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

4,292 posts in this topic

Vallo, I picked up a sealed copy of BOOMERANG on eBay, and I can second Edgecliff's report that it is not defective. BOOMERANG had only been in release for a few days (Amazon.com was promoting it heavily) when it was pulled due to a last-minute rights problem. As I heard it from one of our local vendors, Fox just stopped sending the discs and taking orders, but let vendors sell what they had in stock already.

I still see BOOMERANG advertised on Fox's flyers and hope the problem is cleared up soon. It's too good a movie to sit on.

About a week or so ago, I was mentioning about the sales at Tower Records stores because they are going out of business. I dropped around to a few today in Southern California and saw that two are just a few days from closing (with discounts of 60% to 70%), and a third one was closing for good today about an hour after I was there, with discounts on everything at 90% off. I picked up a few items I wouldn't normally, but that was because they were down to the scraps, almost everything had been picked clean. (Also, the spirits of the staff are low. But can you blame them since they are being let go...and just a few days before Christmas?)

Costco continues its December discounts and starting tomorrow, Monday, for 1 week, they will have the four volumes of the new James Bond Ultimate Editions marked down $10 off their low price of about $53.95, which brings it down to around $44 per volume. That's just more than half off the regular $89.95 price. (If you see anybody scrambing in the door for them, it will be me.)

Costco will also be selling for one week The Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection for $25 less than their normal price. I was at Costco today (the day before the price drops for a week) and saw the price they normally charge was around $69 or $79, I can't recall which, so that will bring it down to either $44 or $54. A great price for 14 of his films (Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, The Birds, Shadow of a Doubt, Family Plot, Frenzy, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, Rope, Saboteur, Topaz, Torn Curtain, and The Trouble with Harry). That makes it about $3 or $4 per film, depending on the correct figure.

Happy holiday shopping!

Well Warner Bros. is planning a Fred Astaire set in 2007 and it's to include:

-A Damsel in Distress

-The Sky's the Limit

-Yolanda and the Thief

-Royal Wedding (saving it from public domain hell)

-The Belle from New York

Seems like Fox has some Sonja Henie films up their sleeves because Second Fiddle and Sun Valley Serenade are both in production. Maybe this will be part of an upcoming Henie set. I hope they also include Thin Ice, Wintertime, and Happy Landing.

thanx for the heads-up on that fred astaire box set, these are the very titles i needed to complete my collection!!! can hardly believe i'll finally have fred's total movie output, ALL of astaire's films, in great condition, on dvd when this set is released!!! i can die happy now..... well almost, i still need those astaire-barrie chase television specials!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

has anyone heard anything about columbia pictures and why they are sooo slow in releasing classic titles on dvd? i know sony recently bought the company, but come on, let's get a move on!!! there are rita hayworth and kim novak fans out here waiting!!!

Finally, SUN VALLEY SERENADE is coming to dvd! I'm so pleased---not only is it a fun movie, it has one of the all-time greatest bands swinging on its soundtrack. I will be first in line for this one.

Miss G

Admittedly Sony has done a poor job in releasing films from their library. One of their studio head's admitted this recently. They also tend to over price some of their releases. For example the recently released HOLIDAY which stars Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn is priced at $24.95 while most studios price their DVD classics at between $14.95 and $19.95. However, one hopes things will be changing at Sony. They just released a fantastic Frank Capra box set and HERE COMES MR. JORDAN is about to be released. However, the studio has yet to delve deeper into their catalogue. Many of Kim Novak films have yet to be released including MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, FIVE AGAINST THE HOUSE, JEANNE EAGLES, PUSHOVER and THE NOTORIOUS LANDLADY. There is also PHFFFT! and FULL OF LIFE the only Judy Holliday films yet to be released by Sony. Rita Hayworth unreleased films include AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD, MISS SADIE THOMPSON, SALOME and TONIGHT AND EVERY NIGHT. Also, their 1930's films have been ignored. There are unreleased films which star Irene Dunne, Rosalind Russell, Ruth Chatterton and Joan Crawford. There has already been a box set of Hayworth films released overseas.

There

> has already been a box set of Hayworth films

> released overseas.

ooooh! I get such an itch to buy an "all-region" dvd player when I hear about these overseas releases. BTW, I was rather disappointed in the release of GILDA, which actually had a "glitch" in it and the "extras" were rather skimpy, if not non-existent, that I remember.

Good for you! Let us know how well you like it. I would love to get one for my Mother in Germany, as well, so that I can send her any dvd.

Miss G

WBHV is releasing DORIS DAY: VOLUME 2 on 4/10. The films in the set include ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS, MY DREAM IS YOURS, ON MOONLIGHTS BAY, I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS, BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY MOON and LUCKY ME. Volume 3 will probably include the rest of Day's film output for WB & MGM.

The Doris Day Collection Volume 2 Six-disc set with "Romance on the High Seas," "By the Light of the Silvery Moon," "I'll See You in My Dreams," "Lucky Me," "My Dream Is Yours" and "On Moonlight Bay"; $59.92 or $19.97 each. (Warner).

* Romance on the High Seas (1948) Dir.: Michael Curtiz; Doris Day, Janis Paige, Don DeFore, Jack Carson. Extras: Classic Warner Bros. musical short "Let's Sing a Song From the Movies," classic Warner Bros. cartoon "I Taw a Putty Tat."

* My Dream Is Yours (1949) Dir.: Michael Curtiz; Doris Day, Jack Carson, Lee Bowman, Extras: Vintage Joe McDoakes comedy short "So You Want to be an Actor," Warner Bros. short "The Grass Is Always Greener," classic Warner Bros. cartoon "A Ham in a Role."

* I'll See You in My Dreams (1952) Dir.: Michael Curtiz; Doris Day, Danny Thomas, Extras: Vintage short "The Screen Director," classic Warner Bros. cartoon "Lovelorn Leghorn."

* On Moonlight Bay (1951) Doris Day, Gordon MacRae, Leon Ames, Rosemary De Camp, Billy Gray. Extras: Vintage Warner Bros. musical short "Let's Sing a Song About the Moonlight," classic Warner Bros. cartoon "A Hound for Trouble."

* By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1953) Doris Day, Gordon MacRae, Rosemary DeCamp, Mary Wickes, Billy Gray. Extras: Vintage Joe McDoakes comedy shorts "So You Want to Learn to Dance" and "So You Want a Television Set," Warner Bros. cartoon "From A to Z-Z-Z-Z."

* Lucky Me (1954) Doris Day, Robert Cummings, Phil Silvers, Eddie Foy Jr., Nancy Walker, Martha Hyer. Extras: Vintage Warner Bros. short "When the Talkies Were Young," Warner Bros. cartoon "Sandy Claws."

> You would only really need a DVD player that is

> region free, right? The rest of the sound system

> would just be normal?

That's correct. Note that "region free" is only part of the issue. You also need a player that will convert the PAL signal to NTSC. You may already have a region free player -- google "DVD Player hacks" and see. With some players converting to region free is complicated, for others it's just a matter of opening the tray and typing a code on the remote (mine is the latter).

I have the Philips DVP 642 player, which is an awesome machine. It not only plays PAL discs, but it also plays Divx, avi, and mpg files burned to CD or DVD. I've found very few things it won't play. It's less than $50 from Amazon.

I looked up the coverting to region free a few days ago and read somewhere that Sony Region 1 DVD players probably won't convert. And I don't know that I want to take a chance on screwing mine up since it is a DVD recorder. But I certainly did think about it.

Well I don't have a dvd player to begin with. I just got my first apartment and I'm buying a home theater system to go with my LCD tv. I found a Philips region free home theater for under $300. i'll have to sacrifice the 5 disc changer, but at least it has 1000 watts.

Rita Hayworth unreleased films

> include AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD, MISS SADIE THOMPSON,

> SALOME and TONIGHT AND EVERY NIGHT.

Although not a Columbia title, let's not forget My Gal Sal, a Fox release from 1942. It has never been released on video in any format, and it's actually a pretty good Technicolor title.

May I ask what is included in the Philips Region Free home theater you got? Does that include a dvd recorder? Thanks.

> I looked up the coverting to region free a few days

> ago and read somewhere that Sony Region 1 DVD players

> probably won't convert. And I don't know that I want

> to take a chance on screwing mine up since it is a

> DVD recorder. But I certainly did think about it.

I use my recorder for burning DVDs only, then I watch them on the Philips. This helps prolong the life of the recorder, and enables me to watch whatever even while burning. At $50 it's a worthwhile investment.

DVD Player Features:

* Code Free playback of all DVD movies from region 1-6 including RCE/REA movies

* Wide disc compatibility: Playback of ALL PAL/NTSC DVD

* Also plays: DVD-Video, DiVX, DVDR/RW, DVD-R/-RW, Video CD/SVCD, CD-R/CD-RW

* DiVX: DivX 3.11, DivX 4.x, DivX 5.x, DivX 6.0, DivX Ultra, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4

* Music: CD, CD-R/RW and MP3-CD

* Picture CD (JPEG) with music (MP3) playback

* Superb audio and video performance

* Advanced Class D Amplifier?for compact, powerful sound

* DTS, Dolby Digital & Pro Logic II surround sound

* Progressive Scan for razor-sharp and flicker free images

* Quick and easy set-up

* Color-coded Easy-Fit? connectors simplify set-up

* Easy set-up to initialize your total home entertainment

# Built-in 16MB video converter allows playback of and DVD on any NTSC TV!

Thank you, Shearerchic! So does this mean you have a separate dvd recorder (or none at all)? In other words, is it better to have a separate dvd recorder and all-region player, or an all-in-one? All I have at the moment is a regular, region 1 player by Sony and I still record on vhs. Thanks again.

I would just buy a separate dvd recorder. When you have everything in one like that, sometimes it won't last as long. Plus there are no region free home theaters with dvd recorders.