JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

4,292 posts in this topic

Thank you! That's good to know. Come to think of it, I had a combo dvd/vcr once and it was a disaster.

Miss G

As long as you own a VCR there's absolutely no need for a combo recorder. If you need to dub tapes, just plug your existing VCR into the DVD recorder and tape away.

I'm glad to know I can copy my tapes onto dvd. I can't wait to do that and eliminate all my tapes because some of them are already degrading badly.

Miss G

I'll See You in My Dreams is actually a very good dramatic movie and I'm pleased it's getting released on dvd!

Got some great news for you guys!!! Fox is releasing 3 of their literary classics on April 24, 2007.

1 - Anna Karenina (1948) starring Vivien Leigh

2 - Jane Eyre (1944) starring Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles (Finally!!!)

3 - Les Miserables (1935) starring Fredric March

I know. It's great when the studios release titles you've been waiting to have forever. Hopefully they release another Fontaine fave of mine, This Above All.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before since I only looked at the first page....

Jesse James w/ Henry Fonda is scheduled for March 6th

Blood and Sand w/ Tyrone Power is scheduled for April 10th

Someone mentioned Snows of Kilimanjaro earlier... I was dumbfounded when I caught it recently on the Fox Movie Channel because even their copy looked like garbage.... hope they do a nice remastering for the eventual DVD release.

Now if Fox could only release Captain from Castile and My Gal Sal *sigh*

Oh and speaking of rescuing great movies from public-domain hell.... anyone hear anything about My Life With Father and/or One-Eyed Jacks?

I would love to get Captain from Castile. And I hope they do some featurette about Alfred Newman's magnificent score.

In addition to Jesse James (which also stars Tyrone Power), Fox will be releasing Return of Frank James with Fonda the same day. Too bad they didn't do them in one package.

Fox should do a Tyrone Power boxset.

I know that for some people the draw of Captain from Castile will be Tyrone Power, but for me it would be Cesar Romero. His Hernan Cortez is absolutely unflappable, and practically never fails to flash a disarming smile, no matter how dire the circumstances. Some might find it corny but for me it was pure delight, in a way only old studio productions could provide!

Together with My Little Princess, it's one of my favorite Romero performances.

Fox is also releasing some classic war films in April.

The Purple Heart (1944) starring Dana Andrews and Richard Conte

Tonight We Raid Calais (1943) starring Annabella

Sailor of the King (1953) starring Jeffrey Hunter

Fixed Bayonets! (1951) starring Richard Basehart

Man in the Middle (1964) starring Robert Mitchum

Although I have never seen SAILOR OF THE KING the film has an impressive cast of British actors including Michael Rennie and Wendy Hiller, which might make this one worthwhile.

Criterion is issuing some nice titles in February:

49th.jpg

"49th Parallel" (aka "The Invaders") starring Laurence Olivier and many others on February 20th.

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

New, restored high-definition digital transfer;

Audio commentary by film and music historian Bruce Eder;

The Volunteer, a 1943 Powell and Pressburger war-effort short starring Ralph Richardson;

A Pretty British Affair, a BBC documentary on the careers of Powell and Pressburger, which considers their WWII-era collaborations and features rare footage of the filmmakers together;

Excerpts from Michael Powell's audio dictations for his autobiography;

Original theatrical trailer;

Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing;

PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Charles Barr and Powell's 1941 premiere speech

robeson.jpg

What looks to be a great Paul Robeson box set is listed on Amazon as coming out Feb. 13th.

Paul Robeson: Portraits of the Artist

contains: The Emperor Jones / Body and Soul / Borderline / Sanders of the River / Jericho / The Proud Valley / Native Land / Paul Robeson: Tribute to an Artist

Disc One: ICON - The Emperor Jones and Paul Robeson: Tribute to an Artist

New digital transfer of The Emperor Jones, created from the best surviving elements;

Audio commentary for The Emperor Jones by historian Jeffrey C. Stewart;

Our Paul: Remembering Paul Robeson, a new video program including interviews with filmmaker William Greaves and actors Ruby Dee and James Earl Jones;

Robeson on Robeson, a new interview with Paul Robeson Jr. about his father's career and art;

Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

Disc Two: OUTSIDER - Body and Soul and Borderline

New, digital transfers of Body and Soul and Borderline created from the best surviving elements;

Audio commentary for Body and Soul by Oscar Micheaux historian Pearl Bowser;

Musical scores by jazz recording artists and composers Wycliffe Gordon (Body and Soul) and Courtney Pine (Borderline);

Disc Three: PIONEER - Sanders of the River and Jericho

New, digital transfers created from the best surviving elements;

True Pioneer: The British Films of Paul Robeson, a new video program featuring interviews with Paul Robeson Jr. and film historians Stephen Bourne and Ian Christie, and including film clips from Song of Freedom (1936), King Solomon's Mines (1937), and Big Fella (1937);

Disc Four: CITIZEN OF THE WORLD - The Proud Valley and Native Land

New, digital transfers of The Proud Valley and Native Land created from the best surviving elements;

"The Story of Native Land," a new video interview with cinematographer Tom Hurwitz, son of Frontier Films cofounder and Native Land codirector Leo Hurwitz;

1958 Pacifica Radio interview with Paul Robeson (Courtesy of Pacifica Radio Archives);

Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

The boxset also contains a book featuring an excerpt from Paul Robeson's Here I Stand, new essays by Clement Alexander Price, Hilton Als, Charles Burnett, Ian Christie, Deborah Willis, and Charles Musser, a reprinted article by Harlem Renaissance writer Geraldyn Dismond, and a note from Pete Seeger

btdvd.jpg

Bicycle Thieves

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

Working with De Sica, a collection of new interviews with screenwriter Suso Cecchi D'Amico, actor Enzo Staiola (Bruno), and film scholar Callisto Cosulich;

Life as It Is, a new program on the history of Italian neorealism in cinema, with scholar Mark Shiel;

Documentary on screenwriter and longtime Vittorio De Sica collaborator Cesare Zavattini, directed by Carlo Lizzani;

Optional English dubbed soundtrack;

New and improved English subtitle translation

ncdvd.jpg

The Naked City, a great film noir, is scheduled for March.

Audio commentary by screenwriter Malvin Wald;

An analysis of the film?s New York locations by Celluloid Skyline author James Sanders;

A new video interview with NYU film professor Dana Polan;

Footage of Jules Dassin from his 2003 appearance at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art;

Theatrical trailer;

Stills gallery;

PLUS: A new essay by Luc Sante

Here are some Fox classics in production. No release date yet.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Fox Studio Classics)

Phar Lap (Fox Cinema Classics)

Wild in the Country (Fox Cinema Classics)

Flaming Star (Fox Cinema Classics)

Bedazzled (Fox Cinema Classics)

Lucky Lady (Fox Cinema Classics)

Charley's Aunt (Fox Cinema Classics)

The Meanest Man in the World (Fox Cinema Classics)

The Bible (Fox Cinema Classics)

Francis of Assisi (Fox Cinema Classics)

Demetrius and the Gladiators (Fox Cinema Classics)

The Robe (Fox Cinema Classics)

Thank you,

I found this coming soon:

: Warner once again steps up to the plate big time for the Film Noir Classic Collection, Vol. 4, a spanking new selection of suspensers from several studio vaults dating to the 1940s and 1950s. Included in this fine group of thrillers are:

Act Of Violence (1949): A crackerjack mystery directed by Fred Zinnemann and starring Van Heflin as a WWII vet-turned-contractor whose life is disrupted when Robert Ryan, a handicapped war veteran, begins terrorizing him. Janet Leigh also stars in this expertly crafted effort filled with surprises.

Cornered (1945): Briskly paced thriller effort reunites Murder, My Sweet helmer Edward Dmytryk with star Dick Powell, and centers on Canadian WWII pilot Powell?s determined efforts to find his French wife?s killer?a quest that leads him to South America, where he confronts some duplicitous characters.

Crime Wave (1954): First-rate crime melodrama in which a group of rough escapees from San Quentin are pursued by no-nonsense detective Sterling Hayden and get con-gone-straight Gene Nelson embroiled in their scheme. Charles Bronson puts in an early screen performance in this fine outing from director Andre de Toth.

Side Street (1950): This little-seen gem from Anthony Mann showcases Farley Granger as a postman who steals a batch of cash, unaware that it?s part of a mob-related transaction. His action spurs attention from the hoods and the cops, leading to some intense moments.

Tension (1949): Superior mix of noir and family drama from filmmaker John Berry, starring Richard Basehart as a milquetoast who discovers his wife has left him for a slick salesman, prompting him to change his identity and murder his rival. Audrey Totter, Cyd Charisse, and Lloyd Gough also star.

They Live By Night (1949): Farley Granger and Cathy O?Donnell are a criminal couple on the run in Nicholas Ray?s impressive first film, a crime gem that inspired Bonnie And Clyde, Badlands, Thieves Like Us, and Natural Born Killers.

Where Danger Lives (1950): Howard Hughes paramour Faith Domergue is the married femme fatale who lures Robert Mitchum to her side, and has him believing he murdered wealthy hubby Claude Rains. But did he? John Farrow calls the shots.

vallo

No problem. I'm excited too, even though we still have another 6 months before it's released. Hopefully next week, Warners will tell us their classic initiative for 2007. We should know what sets they have in store for us and expect plenty of name dropping.

Looking forward to it myself, hope it includes a healthy dose of MGM and RKO classics. Maybe also some of the old Samuel Goldwyn titles? Here's hoping.

I'm also very much hoping Paramount and Columbia's home video divisions will put a bit more effort into giving us some of their classics that aren't yet on DVD.

Carve Her Name with Pride (1958, UK) is being released on DVD in the UK (region 2) on Jan 22nd with a brand new audio commentary with lead actress Virginia McKenna and the film's original editor John Shirley.

That batch of noirs interests me particularly as I haven't seen a couple of the titles. I've always wanted to see TENSION because I really like Baseheart.

Miss G