JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

4,271 posts in this topic

Best remembered by modern audiences as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD, Gloria Swanson was one of the most luminous stars in the early days of cinema. The Glorius Gloria- The Gloria Swanson Collectioncenters on Swanson at the height of her career, including her pairings with Cecil B. DeMille, Lionel Barrymore, and Charlie Chaplin. Featuring silent films and talkies, these 10 films show her acting ability in both comedies and dramas. This collection also includes a documentary on the life of the Academy-Award-nominated actress.

This set is being released by Passport video on February 13 and most online retailers are listing it for under $15.

I truly hope it turns out to be good but I am hesitant because it is issued by Passport. They also released the 100 Years of Horror DVD set and the video quality of the DVDs was very poor.

Today, it was my good fortune to come across this post. I was absolutely delighted to learn news of this upcoming Doris Day DVD release. Thanks for the sneak preview, friend(s). It truly made my day.

OK, blessed words have finally reached me about a TYRONE POWER dvd collection: at "another forum" I read a post from someone who evidently is providing commentary on some of the releases. She said the set will include:

The Captain from Castile, The Black Rose, Prince of Foxes, and Son of Fury.

It's obviously a Fox release, but no date was provided yet.

OK---I just learned the special features deadline is February so the set may come out as early as this March. Let's hold a good thought! SHE said if it sells well, a second set may be forthcoming with other titles.

Miss G

Message was edited by:

MissGoddess

I've picked up info elsewhere that the "Les Miserables" DVD (upcoming) release will be a 2-DVD set. Any idea if that will include both the 1935 AND 1952 versions?

Paramount Home Entertainment will release True Grit: Collector's Edition on May 1st. John Wayne earned an Academy Award for his larger-than-life performance as the drunken, uncouth and totally fearless one-eyed U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn who a stubborn young woman track down her father's murderer in Indian territory. This extraordinary Western also features great turns by Robert Duvall and Strother Martin. The DVD arrives with a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital 2.0 tracks. Bonus materials are TBA. Retail is $14.99.

Paramount continues to baffle, recycling titles that have already been released while ignoring many titles in their library. However, I was told the Billy Wilder classic ACE IN THE HOLE will be released later on this year. And supposedly THE QUIET MAN is undergoing restoration. These are two must titles.

I don't recall having seen this announced here yet:

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of James Cagney: The Signature Collection for 24th April 2007. The Oscar winning screen icon comes to life in this collection that includes five new-to-DVD films ? The Bride Came C.O.D., Captain of the Clouds, The Fighting 69th, Torrid Zone and The West Point Story. Cagney?s versatile talent is on display opposite a star-studded array of screen favorites including Bette Davis, Doris Day, Gordon MacRae, Virginia Mayo, Ann Sheridan and Pat O?Brien. Special features on each title in the Collection include the entertaining ?Warner Night at the Movies? short subject galleries with vintage newsreels, vault treasures and classic cartoons. James Cagney: The Signature Collection will be available as a giftset with superslim packaging for $49.92 SRP and the individual titles will sell for $19.97 SRP.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63788

> Well I'm certainly happy about THE TORRID ZONE---I'll

> definitely get that one.

Aye, that's a good one to have... now if they could only get around to releasing The Strawberry Blonde..... *sigh*

They should do---with three big stars like Cagney, de Havilland AND Rita Hayworth, it's worthy of it!

more James Cagney! i can't wait to see the artwork for this set. these are films that i've wanted to see but just haven't been available anywhere.

> more James Cagney! i can't wait to see the artwork

> for this set. these are films that i've wanted to

> see but just haven't been available anywhere.

I can't wait either... although I caught Captains of the Clouds and Torrid Zone last time they showed on TCM.

northbreed, this 2 disc special edition will indeed contain both the 1935 and 1952 versions of LES MISERABLES.

ok, i'm officially TICKED OFF at SONY!!! scrolling through the 'dvd beaver' website i see they have just released a region 2 dvd of rita hayworth's 1952 "affair in trinidad" (with a great cover) in europe!!

last year i found "miss sadie thompson" 1953 on dvd, with another great cover, got sooo exicted only to find out IT TOO was a region 2 dvd!!! where are our american region 1 versions????? this really SUCKS, SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i mean should i just invest in an all region dvd player???

I'm seriously considering an all-region player because of these maddening inconsistencies in dvd releases.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of four titles under their Columbia Classics banner on 20th March 2007. Priced at $24.95 SRP each are new editions of The Guns of Navarone and The Caine Mutiny along with repackaged versions of the two-disc Lawrence of Arabia and The Bridge on the River Kwai.

By new editions, are there any new extras for these DVD's? I already own these special editions for all except THE CAINE MUTINY which was released as a bare bones DVD.

In addition, I don't think anyone has mentioned the following: FLICKA FAMILY CLASSICS COLLECTION which includes My Friend Flick / Thunderhead: Son of Flicka / The Green Grass of Wyoming. Roddy McDowell stars in all three FOX films. Release date is February 6.