JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

4,292 posts in this topic

> I'm seriously considering an all-region player

> because of these maddening inconsistencies in dvd

> releases.

It is my understanding that high quality all-region DVD players can be had for under $50.

In my opinion it's well worth it if you care to have a good DVD collection. In addition to the titles just mentioned, don't forget that the film noirs The Blue Dahlia and The Big Steal are coming out next month in R2 DVD.

Ouch. You tell me THE BLUE DAHLIA is coming out in R2? That is practically my all-time favorite noir. Now I'm really tempted! There is also a Marlene Dietrich box set out there that is very interesting, but also very expensive.

Yes, Universal Pictures is releasing a bunch of R2 film noirs in the UK on Feb. 12th for ?9.99 each, including titles not in DVD in the U.S., such as The Blue Dahlia, The Big Steal and The Glass Key.

You can see all the details and the cover art here:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63713

As for the Dietrich films, there's an 18-film collection on R2 DVD with no extras, Amazon UK has it on sale right now for ?119.99. You can just go to Amazon.co.uk and search under "Marlene Dietrich", or you can look at it here:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/PROD/3-/918203/Marlene_Dietrich_Collection/Product.html

There's also some Dietrich titles you can buy individually, like Rancho Notorious

Oh, and the British pound is worth close to $2 at the moment.

Do foreign releases like this generally have no extras? I'd like to have a few of the titles but I wonder if they will be over here at some time, end up being cheaper and have special features?

Yes, that is the Marlene collection I had heard about on another thread. It's waaaaay too expensive for me right now (unless I can convince the boyfriend) but it does include just about all of my favorites.

Thank you for the links.

Miss G

> Do foreign releases like this generally have no

> extras? I'd like to have a few of the titles but I

> wonder if they will be over here at some time, end up

> being cheaper and have special features?

With some American movies that were first released on DVD in other countries, the U.S. DVD release has been know to take as much as 2 years after the overseas release. With some titles, it doesn't seem like a U.S. release is imminent. Maybe that's why The African Queen has been on DVD in the UK for a while now, but no U.S. release seems likely soon.

You are taking a bit of a chance if you first buy the movie on a foreign-issue DVD, but at least you have a few months (in case a U.S. release is announced) to sell the used foreign DVD on eBay or something.

Additionally, you should check sites like dvdtimes.co.uk or dvdbeaver.com for more details on extras and picture quality. Those websites sometimes include screenshots so you can look at the picture quality.

Sometimes a movie like A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway to Heaven) that's never been officially released on DVD in the U.S. will be relatively easy to find in the U.K.

Other times, a movie that is out on DVD in the U.S. will be available in much better-looking transfers in European DVDs, such as Powell & Pressburger's Black Narcissus. Judging by the comparisons made and posted in the abovementioned websites, the U.K. DVD is superior to the Criterion DVD, and the French DVD that came out just last year is even better than either of the previous releases.

now i see that there is a whole other world of titles in these region 2 dvds i haven't explored...that might explain why i haven't been able to locate that smashing transfer of "the scarlet pimpernel" 1934 that tcm broadcasts on a region 1 dvd!!

i don't know if it's worth the trouble to get an all region player and start dealing with european markets for region 2 dvds. and in 10 years or so some of these formats will have died out.

i just can't keep up with these fast-moving changes in technology, with all its complications and changing formats.... first video, then upgrading to dvd, and now blu-ray and hd dvd on the horizon..... don't think i will EVER have my film collection ALL on one format!!!!

> i just can't keep up with these fast-moving changes

> in technology, with all its complications and

> changing formats.... first video, then upgrading to

> dvd, and now blu-ray and hd dvd on the horizon.....

> don't think i will EVER have my film collection ALL

> on one format!!!!

I think it all depends on the size of your collection and the amount of time and effort you want to dedicate to it.

I'm well aware that I'll eventually get rid of most of my DVDs when the movies become available in new high-definition versions... hopefully the transition will be a slow one.

You can always minimize the costs somewhat by selling the videos you don't want anymore on eBay or something. Classic movies usually have much better resell prices than recent releases.

> Classic movies usually have much better

> resell prices than recent releases.

They also tend to go OOP more often, sometimes with spectacular results. My Image DVD of Kenji Mizoguchi's "47 Ronin" is now selling used on Amazon for prices ranging from $104 to $219.

Jodorowsky fans, rejoice!

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Boy have we got some great DVD news for you film geeks today! ABKCO Films and Anchor Bay Entertainment have just announced a pair of titles that we've been waiting for on DVD since Day One of this format... El Topo and The Holy Mountain! No kidding! Anchor Bay will release a special limited edition collector's box set, The Films of Alejandro Jodorowsky, on DVD on 5/1 (SRP $49.98). The set will contain El Topo, The Holy Mountain and Fando Y Lis on DVD, fully restored and remastered from new HD transfers in anamorphic widescreen video, with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 audio. The box set will also include 2 music CDs containing the soundtracks for El Topo and The Holy Mountain, as well as a DVD of Jodorowsky's never-before-released first film, La Cravate. El Topo and The Holy Mountain will also be available separately (SRP $24.98 each). The El Topo DVD will contain audio commentary by the director, the original theatrical trailer (with English voice-over), a 2006 on-camera interview with the director as well as an exclusive new interview, a photo gallery and original script excerpts. The Holy Mountain DVD will include audio commentary with the director, deleted scenes with commentary, the original theatrical trailer (with English voice-over), the Tarot short with commentary, a restoration process short, restoration credits, a photo gallery and original script excerpts. Fando Y Lis will include audio commentary with the director and the La Constellation Jodorowsky documentary. Subtitles on the discs will be available in English, French, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese. Awesome news indeed! To which Todd adds, "Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!" and faints dead away in shock. This is, you see, his long awaited Holy Grail of DVD.

Just read that Fox is releasing 3 comedies in April: Bedazzled (1967), Royal Flash and S*P*Y*S:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63839

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of 3 "Comedy Classics" for 3rd April 2007. Priced at $19.98 SRP each are:

Bedazzled - Stanley (Dudley Moore) is a hapless short-order cook who is hopelessly in love with a waitress named Margaret (Eleanor Bron) - although she barely knows he's alive. Enter George Spiggott (Peter Cook), a.k.a. Satan, who grants Stanley seven wishes in order to win Margaret over, but his efforts are hilariously hampered by the Seven Deadly Sins - including the insatiable Lilian Lust (Raquel Welch)!

Features include:

* 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

* English Stereo & Spanish Mono

* Spanish subtitles

* Interview With Stanley Moon (Dudley Moore) and the Devil (Peter Cook)

* A BEDAZZLED Conversation with Harold Ramis

* Paul Ryan Show

* Trailer

Royal Flash - Based on George McDonald Fraser's Flashman novels, Malcolm McDowell stars in this comedy directed by Richard Lester.

Features include:

* Commentary with Malcolm McDowell

* ?Inside Royal Flash? Featurette

* ?Meet Harry Flashman? Featurette

S*P*Y*S - Just because the CIA accidentally killed two KGB spies, the Russians want to kill two American agents. Donald Sutherland and Elliott Gould are nominated.

Features include:

* Inside S*P*Y*S

* Irvin Kershner: The Road To 'The Road Of A Hundred Days'

The Guns of Navarone (2-Disc Special Edition)

* 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

* English DD5.1 Surround

* English DD2.0 Surround

* Portuguese 5.1

* French & Spanish Mono

* English, French, Portuguese & Spanish subtitles

* New Audio Commentary from Film Historian Stephen J. Rubin

* Audio Commentary from Director J. Lee Thompson

* New ?Forging the Guns of Navarone? Documentary

* New ?Iconic Epic of Heroism? Documentary

* New ?A Heroic Score? Featurette

* New ?Epic Restoration? Featurette

* New Narration-Free Prologue

* New Roadshow Intermission

* "Memories of Navarone" Retrospective Documentary

* "A Message from Carl Foreman"

* "Great Guns" Original Featurette

* "No Visitors" Original Featurette

* "Honeymoon On Rhodes" Original Featurette

* "Two Girls On The Town" Original Featurette

* Talent Files, Production Notes and more

The Caine Mutiny

* Anamorphic Widescreen

* English & French Mono

* English & French subtitles

* Commentary by Richard Pena and Ken Bowser

* Behind "The Caine Mutiny" 2-Part Documentary

> Watching Bombshell now and was glad to see that it's

> a restored print. It shall be in the Harlow set.

One of Harlow's best and long overdue on DVD. When's the set supposed to be out?

Oh and I get to make my own double-bill with Bombshell and Suzy, both recently TiVo'd. =D

My fave part is when she's telling everybody off on the stairs. I seriously hope that WB is releasing all the movies she did at MGM. There's only 11 of them:

Bombshell

Reckless

Red Dust

Saratoga

Personal Property

Suzy

The Girl from Missouri

Hold Your Man

The Beast of the City

Three Wise Girls

The Secret Six

Over on Digitalbits, Barrie Maxwell's Classic Comings article says that Fox is working on a Tyrone Power Collection for sometime in Summer 07 consisting of Son of Fury, Captain from Castile, Prince of Foxes and The Black Rose.

Over on Digitalbits, Barrie Maxwell's Classic Comings article says that Fox is working on a Tyrone Power Collection for sometime in Summer 07 consisting of Son of Fury, Captain from Castile, Prince of Foxes and The Black Rose.

shearerchic, I'm shocked...shocked...to find you got outscooped by Miss Goddess. She revealed this on Jan. 11th (a few pages back). But I still like ya, anyway.

Since there have been other postings on R2 releases I thought this might be of some interest. The following DVD's are being released in Europe only: FLESH AND FANTASY (1943) all star film directed by Julian Duvivier. This is one of the films I would like to own. The cast includes Edward G. Robinson, Barbara Stanwyck, Charles Boyer and Betty Field. Two other releases star Kirk Douglas: LONELY ARE THE BRAVE (Douglas' favorite film) and MAN WITH A STAR directed by King Vidor and co-starring my favorite Jeanne Crain. Hopefully, these three releases will be in the next wave of Universal classics set for May.

Oh really?? lol, I had no idea. She must have an inside scoop or somethin cause all the boards I've been too never mentioned it until today. Well it's one of the few times somebody has done that. It usually only happens when I sleep late. lol.

Criterion has announced another Universal film noir for release in April: BRUTE FORCE. This 1947 Jules Dassin film co-stars Burt Lancaster, Yvonne DeCarlo, Ann Blytb, Ella Raines and Hume Cronin. Along with the prior announced NAKED CITY this one is also a classic and a film I have been looking forward to being released on DVD.

> I seriously hope that WB is releasing all

> the movies [Jean Harlow] did at MGM. There's only 11 of them:

Make that 10. THREE WISE GIRLS is a Columbia release.