JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

4,366 posts in this topic

I think we've mentioned the second season of *Star Trek the Original Series* as coming on Blu, but now it is official, with a release date of September 22nd. Like the first, this will contain all the episodes of Season 2 with both the original broadcast versions and remastered versions with new special effects, both versions in high definition.

The first season looked incredible, and I really hope the second is as good.

From the same time period as Season 2 of Star Trek, digitalbits.com has announced that Warner Home Video and BBC Video have set the 1967 version of *Wuthering Heights* for DVD release on 10/13. That will be the TV miniseries with Ian McShane.

WHV is releasing the 20th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, on DVD and blu-ray on Oct. 27th.

The blu-ray edition will feature an exclusive miniature moose mug figurine.

Yes, I know, it's not exactly in league with some other Christmas classics, but I thought I'd mention it just in case there's any NL fans here. ;)

For those who didn't want to buy the Ultimate Collectors Edition of *Casablanca* on Blu-ray already out, Warners has announced the regular Blu release of the film without all the extras for September 15th. Because this will be a 1-disc item, it will not include the documentary, "Jack L. Warner: The Last Mogul."

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> By the way, Amazon UK has already listed the North by Northwest blu-ray for pre-order, so it's probably just a matter of time before it's listed here in the U.S. as well. At least it's nice to see the cover art. :D

Mentioned 7 posts below already.

I thought sure I had posted this but maybe the mods deleted it for whatever reason...but it is possible to get the GWTW and Oz Blu editions coming up with minimal extras from Amazon UK for about $50 comibined with shipping. Each is about 13 to 15 pounds. The Oz is scheduled to have 3 discs in the UK, but 2 of them will be Blu, but not sure what the 3rd disc is. Likely it is a DVD and thus only playable in the UK (the Blu discs should play fine here in the U.S.). GWTW, for the moment, is listed as having 5 discs. I would suspect 2 will be Blu and the other 3 will be DVDs, which again probably won't play here because of them being in PAL.

Anyway, it's a good deal if you just want the basic movie and none of the Ultimate Collector Editions big boxsets.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wizard-Oz-Blu-ray-Judy-Garland/dp/B002EDTTJY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1247249636&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gone-Wind-Blu-ray-Clark-Gable/dp/B002CYIR84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1247249674&sr=1-1

That actually does sound like a pretty good deal, especially for those of us who already have multi-region players for the R2 DVDs.

By the way, I edited my previous post to delete the mention of North by Northwest.

P.S. I really don't think the mods would delete a post without making a note and explaining the reason why it was deleted. However -- if they HAD deleted it once, they could get upset if the same thing was posted a 2nd time. I really don't think that is the case here, but just a heads up.

If the mods delete something, they HAVE an obligation to say WHY it was deleted. Otherwise, how is anyone to know what they don't like?

Attention Peanuts fans, Warner Home Video has announced it is releasing a remastered edition of I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown, which will also include the DVD debut of Happy New Year, Charlie Brown. Street date is Oct. 6

filmlover - regarding mod edits, I agree completely.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> This is a day for classic TV news, and now the announcement of *The Judy Garland Show vol.* 1 on DVD. However, this one comes up a bit skimpy as it only has two episodes. It will street on July 28th from Infinity. There will be twelve more volumes eventually completing the 26-show run.

The show's already been available on DVD for the past ten years.

> {quote:title=Snorky wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> > This is a day for classic TV news, and now the announcement of *The Judy Garland Show vol.* 1 on DVD. However, this one comes up a bit skimpy as it only has two episodes. It will street on July 28th from Infinity. There will be twelve more volumes eventually completing the 26-show run.

>

> The show's already been available on DVD for the past ten years.

Yes, but these should hopefully prove to be the best available as they will be restored and remastered from the original masters.

Universal is reissuing The Wolf Man on 9/15. This time as a 2-DVD set with new extras (I still prefer the Monsters full Legacy set.

DISC 1:

Feature Commentary with Film Historian Tom Weaver *

Monster by Moonlight *

The Wolf Man Archives *

Trailer Gallery *

DISC 2:

The Wolf Man: From Ancient Curse to Modern Myth (NEW TO DVD)

Pure in Heart: The Life and Legacy of Lon Chaney Jr. (NEW TO DVD)

He Who Made Monsters: The Life and Art of Jack Pierce (NEW TO DVD)

Universal Horror (NEW TO DVD)

Just read this:

*Two Restored Todd-AO Classics from Fox Coming to Blu-ray*

20th Century Fox 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has commissioned HTV illuminate Arts-Media-Entertainment to restore two of its classics for a Blu-ray release later this year: *The Agony and the Ecstasy* and *Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines*, two 1965 films shot in Todd-AO (a film format that used 65mm negatives and 70mm release prints).

Its good to know FOX is working on more classics for BR release. Hopefully, they haven't given on SD titles.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> Just read this:

>

> *Two Restored Todd-AO Classics from Fox Coming to Blu-ray*

>

> 20th Century Fox 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has commissioned HTV illuminate Arts-Media-Entertainment to restore two of its classics for a Blu-ray release later this year: *The Agony and the Ecstasy* and *Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines*, two 1965 films shot in Todd-AO (a film format that used 65mm negatives and 70mm release prints).

From Where?

and from digitalbits.com:

Warner has just officially confirmed that they're going to be releasing a trio of animated classics on Blu-ray in time for the holidays - the How the Grinch Stole Christmas: Deluxe Edition, A Charlie Brown Christmas: Deluxe Edition and the Horton Hears a Who!: Deluxe Edition! The street date isn't official yet, but we expect them in late September or early October. All of the extras on the previous DVD versions will be carried over. We'll offer more details soon. In the meantime, here's a look at the cover art...

and from digitalbits.com:

Warner has just officially confirmed that they're going to be releasing a trio of animated classics on Blu-ray in time for the holidays - the How the Grinch Stole Christmas: Deluxe Edition, A Charlie Brown Christmas: Deluxe Edition and the Horton Hears a Who!: Deluxe Edition! The street date isn't official yet, but we expect them in late September or early October. All of the extras on the previous DVD versions will be carried over. We'll offer more details soon. In the meantime, here's a look at the cover art...

I think this might have been mentioned before, but the search function didn't turn anything up:

Classic Media has put *Gojira* (Blu-Ray) on the schedule for a September 22nd release date. Whether it will contain just the original version or both the Japanese and "Americanized" version is not yet known. No further details are available at this time.

Here's a really good look at the upcoming art for the North by Northwest digibook for the UK. It could be different for the U.S..

north

LOL, is it just me or does it appear to have very much a Communist Red Star type of thing in the art?

I don't think they intended for it to look like a Red Communist star thing, it's just an optical illusion (and a completely accidental one, I would imagine).

As for Gojira, like I said, the search function didn't turn it up for some reason. Sorry!

I don't know, the more I think about it I believe it could very well be intentional. Which government do you think Mason and Landau were representing, considering it was 1959?

Alright, I guess it is possible they did intend for it to look like a red star. It just seems a bit odd because it doesn't resonate as strongly now as it did even before 1989. I would have thought they'd rather emphasize the Cary Grant or the Hitchcock element somehow, but what do I know about movie marketing? :D