Sign in to follow this  
drednm

Queen Marie

4 posts in this topic

How wonderful that TCM picked the fabulous Marie Dressler as Star of the Month. While we still don't get to see her final film, Christopher Bean, there's plenty to enjoy, including her great performances in Min and Bill and Dinner at Eight as well as her comic delights in The Patsy and Tillie's Punctured Romance. The woman was a national treasure even if she was Canadian by birth. There never has been and never will be anyone like Marie Dressler!

• Like 3

Dr. Ed, I couldn't agree with you more; I'm enjoying watching some old favorites featuring Marie Dressler. I find it a bit sad that when discussing her films, the focus is on another actress, such as Garbo, but her turn as SOTM gives her time in the spotlight. My favorite sound picture is Let Us Be Gay (1930), which, although a showcase for Norma Shearer, allows Marie to shine in a role tailor made for her humor and talent.

I tuned in just in time for the scene with Marie and Polly Moran drunk in the dressing room and the subsequent plumbing disaster. Hysterically funny. Looking forward to more Marie this month.

I tuned in just in time for the scene with Marie and Polly Moran drunk in the dressing room and the subsequent plumbing disaster. Hysterically funny. Looking forward to more Marie this month.

Too bad TCM has never shown, so far as I know, Dangerous Females, a short film that stars Marie Dressler and Polly Moran as women alone in a remote house when they hear on the radio that a dangerous crook lurks nearby. Dressler is hysterically funny.

• Like 1