Sign in to follow this  
fandu1970

Films and evolution of human being

9 posts in this topic

I just came across with few great movies on TCM. I don't know names etc.. but one movie was about answering centers, one was about first computer IBM made, the fears of people etc.. From this i got to see history made by these technological events and how life was before technical events. I always took answering machine for granted. I never even dreamed if there could be something called answering centers.

I would like to see a series of movies which explains the evolution of technology. that will be great.

Haha was the movie 1957's DESK SET?

I graduated high school/college right on the cusp of teaching kids computers. I remember filling out reams of data cards with a pencil just to create character "drawings" in the mid 70's.

I liked how DESK SET showed the personal element vs the "computing" element almost 20 years before computers actually integrated businesses. And they were only taking over databases!

The next wave of "computer" movies were suspense/horror showing computers taking over humans, a real fear among the mature set. (first inkling was HAL in 2001 A SPACE ODYSSY)

There was definitely a backlash among people my age as offices & businesses became "computerized" as depicted in DESK SET. So many friends of mine went kicking & screaming declaring "I'm never going to use one of those!" I'll bet they all have their noses buried in their phones today.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Niagara Falls!!! Slowly, I turned! Step by step...inch by inch...

Too bad they didn't show that similar sequence from I Love Lucy episode last night in living color, Sgt!

I wonder if he ever did find that man?

• Like 1

He followed him from Los Angeles..to St Louis...to New Orleans.. then Dallas...than finally Pittsburgh...the man who stole his happiness....and then...one day...at NIAGARA FALLS!!! Slowly, I turned...step by step...inch by inch...

There are lots of these.  I especially love the late 1930's to early 1950's crime movies when the detective startles the suspect by proving he was at the scene of the crime by producing

<da da dahHHH!>

a PHOTOSTATIC copy of the page of the hotel registry with his signature!

Also, I remember the telephone message recording machine that Ralph Meeker had in Kiss Me Deadly (1955).  It was a giant reel-to-reel tape machine the size of a suitcase.  It was built into his wall.  Was that the first one to appear on film?