Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

September Schedule

49 posts in this topic

Not a lot for me this month. Il Sorpasso on the 4th. All 4 hours of 47 Ronin on the 18th. A few Peter Lorre titles I haven't seen. One Errol Flynn, Northern Pursuit. Only one of the Gene Hackman films, 1966's A Covenant with Death.

• Like 1

Not a lot for me this month. 

Well -- Carry On Teacher, one of the best of the series, with the great Hattie Jacques, will be on in September.

carry-on-teacher.jpg

Also Reds, one of the best epics ever (one of my top ten films of all time).

Reds-008.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=

• Like 1

There are good parts, IMHO:

Both Gene Hackman films I mentioned wanting to see are on the schedule (1969's "The Gypsy Moths" and 1968's "The Split"--but at least 2 others had also mentioned wanting to see TS.

"Show People" (1928) is on the schedule--Hopefully, Comcast will show a Good print this time!

Two Goldie Hawn films are featured in Sept. "Slapstick" theme--"The Sugarland Express" (1974) and "Foul Play" (1978).

Late night Fri., Sept 23rd/24th, 1983's "Eureka" is scheduled. Directed by Nicholas Roeg, starring Gene Hackman and Theresa Russell, this one is based on an unsolved Canadian murder. An Odd film.

One Christopher Lee film, "Horror Express" (1972) to get TCM ready for Halloween.

A film that Sounds like a comedy--1978's "Dracula's Dog".

• Like 2

On September 18 in primetime, TCM is featuring Two Tammys: TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR with Debbie Reynolds as Tammy followed by TAMMY TELL ME TRUE with Sandra Dee as Tammy.

tammy-and-the-bachelor.jpg

02.png

• Like 1

The schedule lists the Patrick McGoohan/jazz musicians/Othello in London version of All Night Long, not the Hackman and Streisand in the supermarket film of the same title.

A Covenant with Death and The Split sound like Gene Hackman films I'd like to investigate. Scarecrow can be recommended to Hackman and Pacino fans.

La Promesse is an outstanding film from the Dardenne brothers.

I'd like to re-visit Lilith and Hour of the Gun.

Il Sorpasso, Grey Gardens, Designing Woman, and Mon Oncle are films I keep intending to watch but never have. Maybe this time.

We were discussing Desire Me and Julia Misbehaves in the Favourite Performances thread. Both will shown in the Greer Garson tribute.

The Velvet Touch is like All About Eve as a film noir. Rosalind Russell does some of her heavy emoting, which may be appropriate in a stage actress afraid that her career is about to slip. Good supporting cast.

Two films I'd like to see are Harakiri and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Some viewers will want to get all dolled up to see Susan Slade again. Films don't get much campier than this one.

• Like 2

9/1

Ooh a primetime Preston Sturges marathon.

I am planning on recording:

The Lady Eve, I've only seen this once and can't remember much about it

Hail the Conquering Hero

The Great McGinty

The Sin of Harold Diddlebock

9/2

The Gypsy Moths, mostly for Burt Lancaster, but I like the synopsis about "barnstorming skydivers."

9/3

The Bitter Tea of General Yen, a Barbara Stanwyck pre-code that I haven't seen

9/5

Angels in the Outfield, I do love sports movies.  I believe I've seen the remake with Christopher Lloyd.

The Devil Makes Three, a non-musical Gene Kelly film I haven't seen

The Angel Wore Red, an Ava Gardner movie I haven't seen

9/8

Another Disney Vault evening.  I'm really glad that they're keeping this series going.

I'm going to record the cartoons: Tugboat Mickey and Boat Builders

Disneyland Around the Seasons from 1966

Those Calloways with Brian Keith and Vera Miles

Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color: A Country Coyote Goes Hollywood

9/9

Lady Be Good, an Eleanor Powell movie I haven't seen

Yolanda and the Thief, a Fred Astaire movie I haven't seen

Any Number Can Play, a Clark Gable and Alexis Smith film I haven't seen

9/10

Attack of the 50-Foot Woman.  I've seen this movie before, I just think it's hilarious

RFD Greenwich Village, this is a short promoting corduroy clothing that features a couple walking around NYC.  Sounds ridiculous enough to be funny.

9/11

Mary, Mary.  A Debbie Reynolds film I haven't seen

An Ideal Husband.  I've been wanting to see more Paulette Goddard.

Mr. Lucky, a Cary Grant movie I haven't seen

9/12

Boys' Night Out, a Kim Novak film I haven't seen

9/13 

A Claudette Colbert birthday tribute.  A couple of her films I haven't seen:

Imitation of Life

The Secret Heart

The Music Box.  I love this Laurel & Hardy short.  I haven't seen it forever.

9/14

The Lady in Question.  A Rita Hayworth film I haven't seen.

The Inspector General.  I've been wanting to see more Danny Kaye movies.  With the exception of White Christmas, they don't seem to be played often.

9/16

Lauren Bacall birthday tribute.

Bogart: The Untold Story.  A Bogart documentary hosted by his son.

The Cobweb.  I want to see the infamous 'Cobweb.' 

The Killing.  A film noir I haven't seen.

9/17

The school scare short films at the end of the day.  These always crack me up:

Why Vandalism? A film about troubled teens turning to vandalism due to emotional issues.

Duck and Cover. A film apparently about a monkey pulling a prank on a turtle which simultaneously demonstrates how to survive a nuclear attack.

A Visit to Santa.  A film about children dreaming about visiting Santa at the North Pole.

and my personal favorite...

One Got Fat. The synopsis says: "Children wearing monkey masks pay the price for bad bicycle safety habits." 

9/18

The two Tammy films that Holden mentioned:

Tammy and the Bachelor with Debbie Reynolds & Tammy Tell Me True with Sandra Dee 

9/20

Betrayed. A Clark Gable film I haven't seen.  This movie also has Lana Turner.

9/21

The Lady Consents.  I've been wanting to see more films featuring Ann Harding. 

9/22

Five Came Back.  A Lucille Ball film that I really like and haven't seen in quite some time.

9/23

Grace Kelly marathon.

Wedding in Monaco, a short film showing Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier's wedding. 

The Swan, I've been wanting to see this film again

9/24

The Feminine Touch. A Rosalind Russell and Don Ameche film I haven't seen

The Wonderful World of Tupperware short.  I love this short! 

9/25

Muscle Beach Party.  If there's one genre I love, it's teen movies.  If there's one sub-genre that I love, it's teen beach movies!

9/26

Wine, Women and Horses.  An Ann Sheridan film I've never seen.

She Went to the Races.  An Ava Gardner film I haven't seen

9/28

The Velvet Touch.  A Rosalind Russell movie I haven't seen.

Slander.  An Ann Blyth movie I haven't seen.

I see that Anchorman is scheduled.  I can already predict all the whining and complaining that this will cause.  Personally I love this movie.  I own it, so I won't be recording it.  

Hollywood Without Makeup.  Thanks to Lorna's wonderful reviews, I am interested in seeing this short.

9/29

Greer Garson birthday marathon

Adventure.  A Clark Gable film I haven't seen

Desire Me.  A Robert Mitchum film I haven't seen

9/30

Double Harness.  I wanted to see this Ann Harding-William Powell pre-code again.

The Racket.  Another Robert Mitchum film I haven't seen

I'm sure I'll find more films that I want to record.

Two films I'd like to see are Harakiri and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

I never thought I would see those two in the same sentence! Harakiri is one of my all-time favorite Japanese films.

The Killing.  A film noir I haven't seen.

I see that Anchorman is scheduled.  I can already predict all the whining and complaining that this will cause.  Personally I love this movie.  I own it, so I won't be recording it.  

I really like The Killing.  I definitely recommend that one.

I thought the same thing when I saw Anchorman on the schedule. I can hear the complaints already! And for the record, I like it as well. I never knew what San Diego meant in Spanish until I saw that movie.  :lol:

• Like 1

speedracer5--my takes on four films you listed.

1. "The Lady Eve"--Sturges funniest film, after "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" (1944).

2. "The Killing" (1956)--A second to LawrenceA's recommendation.  Classic Noir.

3. "The Bitter Tea of General Yen" (1933)--Unusual Capra film, delves into themes that were Forbidden Territory under The Code.  Barbara Stanwyck and Nils Asther are excellent.

4. "Yolanda and the Thief" (1945)--Vincente Minnelli directed this wildly surreal, extravagant musical, based on a gossamer-thin story by Ludwig Bemelmans.  Lucille Bremer, Astaires' costar, was one of Astaire's best partners (they teamed here and in 1946's "Ziegfeld Follies").  The 16 minute dream ballet based on Salvador Dali's and Jean Cocteau's works and the number "Coffee Time" are two of the highlights. People love or hate this film.  I love it.

• Like 5

Nothing against Gene Hackman, but how about honoring stars long gone, STILL waiting for SOTM status???

Joan Bennett, Jennifer Jones, Charles Boyer, Marion Davies......I could go on and on.

• Like 1

I'm happy to see DRACULA (1931) on the schedule after many years. Would love to see more classic Universal horrors on TCM (how about Lugosi as SOTM this October?).

Also excited about BEYOND VICTORY (1931). I don't think this has have played on TCM. I saw it on AMC in the late 1980s.

• Like 1

Another Disney Vault evening.  I'm really glad that they're keeping this series going.

Those Calloways with Brian Keith and Vera Miles

. . . and with Brandon deWilde.

I was happy to see THOSE CALLOWAYS was on the schedule.

$(KGrHqV,!qEE9d8f!!V,BPmHdBYhP!~~60_35.J

• Like 1

Did anyone notice the unique programming for September 22nd..?

The daytime theme has titles counting up from 1 to 8:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-18%2Bat%2B11.06.

Then, the primetime theme is a countdown (with titles that go from 7 to 3):

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-18%2Bat%2B11.05.

• Like 2

Did anyone notice the unique programming for September 22nd..?

The daytime theme has titles counting up from 1 to 8:

Then, the primetime theme is a countdown (with titles that go from 7 to 3):

I hadn't noticed that, very clever!

ANCHORMAN (2004)?!! ARE THEY SERIOUS?!! What they should have done is to include a certain little modern slapstick classic called AIRPLANE! (1980) instead! That would have completed the prime time ZAZ triple feature. What is going on with the programming?!

I hadn't noticed that, very clever!

I guess they ran out of hours/time slots since they ended the countdown at 3. LOL

• Like 1

I guess they ran out of hours/time slots since they ended the countdown at 3. LOL

I like it when they think of offbeat ways to program, in addition to the obvious thematic ones.

• Like 2

I like it when they think of offbeat ways to program, in addition to the obvious thematic ones.

So do I. But I think it would have been fun, in that instance, to go all the way down to 0, and have the last title be Dana Andrews in ZERO HOUR! They should have kept it going into the next day of programming.

• Like 3

I'm sorry, as much as I like Anchorman (2004), I don't think of the movie as a slapstick classic, just a comedy. It doesn't belong on TCM, not for a very, very long time. Airplane! (1980) deserved to be part of the slapstick spotlight lineup more than Anchorman. It feels like a slap across the face when I think of the programming department choosing a 12-year-old comedy over a 36-year-old comedy masterpiece.

ANCHORMAN (2004)?!! ARE THEY SERIOUS?!! What they should have done is to include a certain little modern slapstick classic called AIRPLANE! (1980) instead! That would have completed the prime time ZAZ triple feature. What is going on with the programming?!

I'm sorry, as much as I like Anchorman (2004), I don't think of the movie as a slapstick classic, just a comedy. It doesn't belong on TCM, not for a very, very long time. Airplane! (1980) deserved to be part of the slapstick spotlight lineup more than Anchorman. It feels like a slap across the face when I think of the programming department choosing a 12-year-old comedy over a 36-year-old comedy masterpiece.

Emertiff, it seems you made a duplicate post.

I recommend you don't watch it if you think it's so inappropriate. That goes for anyone who has such problems with the movies TCM shows.

Variety is the spice etc.

• Like 1

I recommend you don't watch it if you think it's so inappropriate. That goes for anyone who has such problems with the movies TCM shows.

Variety is the spice etc.

I generally come to the same conclusion, dark, but The Anchorman is a steaming hot pile of cow manure any way you shovel it.

Adding "The Anchorman" (2004) to my watch list after seeing such drastically varying opinions.  If it's worse than "Deuce Bigalow, European Gigolo" (2004), I'll turn it off in five minutes. The trailer for DBEG posted in the Favorite Critics thread had me shuddering.  "Anchorman" can't be worse than "Freddie Got Fingered" (2001)--FGF is a pile of ****, IMHO.