CaveGirl

Ace Drummond/Eddie Rickenbacke

10 posts in this topic

Eddie Rickenbacker, a true jack of many trades, and master of all was a real ACE, beyond even the capabilities of Ace Drummond, his sometimes alter ego. This serial was patterned after the real life of Rickenbacker and as one who was consultant and scriptwriter he utilized incidents in his real life to pattern the stories.

From infancy, his interest in the almighty machine was a catalyst for his self-taught knowledge in many fields. His exploits in war, as a fighter pilot in WWI, winning the Medal of Honor laurels, his race car exploits and time as an automotive engineering designer at Rickenbacker Motor Company, and his time working as an airline head, made him well suited for imparting such knowledge as entertainment in the Ace Drummond serials.

About the only thing he did not design, that one might think he did, was the Rickenbacker Guitar, which was accomplished by a relation though. As they say, those who can do and those who can't teach, but he managed to do both with what he was able to put into dramatic style in the Ace Drummond serials.

Bravo, Eddie!

TCM will be showing more Ace Drummond serials this coming Saturday, June 18, 2016.

• Like 2

I really enjoy the serials that TCM shows on Saturdays as they remind me of the old radio show's such as The Shadow, Sherlock Holmes, etc. I record the Saturday shows and then watch several back-to-back.

I also record every Bowery Boys/East End Kids movies and my collection is up to around thirty so far. The recent ones are from the early '50's so I hope TCM starts over at the beginning with BB/ESK's  movies from the 30's. I know they're kind of silly but it brings my mind back to a simpler time without all the sex/drugs/violence/special effects of today's fare. Also gives my daily dose of laughter is the best medicine. Would love to see a W.C. Fields marathon on TCM as those movies and shorts are few and far between.

G

• Like 2

I really enjoy the serials that TCM shows on Saturdays as they remind me of the old radio show's such as The Shadow, Sherlock Holmes, etc. I record the Saturday shows and then watch several back-to-back.

I also record every Bowery Boys/East End Kids movies and my collection is up to around thirty so far. The recent ones are from the early '50's so I hope TCM starts over at the beginning with BB/ESK's  movies from the 30's. I know they're kind of silly but it brings my mind back to a simpler time without all the sex/drugs/violence/special effects of today's fare. Also gives my daily dose of laughter is the best medicine. Would love to see a W.C. Fields marathon on TCM as those movies and shorts are few and far between.

G

Oh, would that not be heavenly, OBJ?

A marathon of works by Mr. Dukenfield himself!

They should pick a day from the almanac, that is not a fit night out for man nor beast!

I went to a weekly showing of older films locally last summer, and each week they would show a segment of the Shadow serials. It was great fun to see them on the big screen.

Thanks!

I am also enjoying Ace Drummond, well, actually Noah Beery, Jr. Yummy, yummy.

But, really, does the star have to sing that goofy song in every episode?

• Like 1

What might make a good companion to the serial would be the biopic about Rickenbacker, CAPTAIN EDDIE (1945), with Fred MacMurray and Lynn Bari. It's from.20th Century Fox, I don't know if TCM.can get it, or if it's even available. Been ages since I've seen it.

• Like 2

TCM abruptly stopped showing the Ace Drummond serials and Bowery Boys movies in the Seattle area. Was there any explanation as to WHY, WHY :(

TCM abruptly stopped showing the Ace Drummond serials and Bowery Boys movies in the Seattle area. Was there any explanation as to WHY, WHY :(

I am wondering about this also. Is it star of the month month? I need my serial fix...

The TCM schedule has the last 5 episodes of Ace D listed on July 30.

I'm glad to see this.  I just came to see what info I could find on this and hadn't realized that TCM had changed the schedule from the TCM NOw Playing Guide.