Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

BREXIT

145 posts in this topic

I have read several in-depth analyses which indicate that this is important factor: 

OYXtPyF.jpg?1

EU regulations and controls are so very complex, expensive, and generally inane that they placed undue burden on English people and businesses. This is seen as revolt against: big government rather than against any specific policies of EU.

BR = BRITAIN

and 

EXIT self-explanatory

I have seen suggestions for further disintegration of EU:

Italeave

Oustria

Byegium

Departugal

My favorite is:

Czechout

• Like 4

I dont follow British politics and had no reason to read the thread until now.

I don't normally follow either, but when the stock market tanked, I got interested. Fast.

It sounds like a soap brand. (BREXIT) I couldnt figure it out either.

I can figure it out, but it still sounds stupid, like a laxative.

One spoonful of Brexit and you'll be cleaner than the

crown jewels.

Scotland and (Northern) Ireland went big for remain. Sweet.

SCOTEXIT.

crown jewels.

SCOTEXIT.

How about SCOTFREE?

and IREALLYDONTWANTTOASSOCIATEWITHTHOSEENGLISHDOGSANYMORE?

crown jewels.

SCOTEXIT.

That's exactly how they probably see it.

Young People Are Furious at Older People for Voting to Leave EU...

...nothing has separated the Remain and Leave camps quite so distinctly as the age of the voters, according to Buzzfeed. Around 75% of young people aged 18 to 24 overwhelmingly voted to Remain, compared to only 39% older voters over 65.

http://usuncut.com/world/young-britons-are-furious/

And the "no frog is going to tell me how to make me pork pies" crowd voted to exit too.

• Like 2

How about SCOTFREE?

and IREALLYDONTWANTTOASSOCIATEWITHTHOSEENGLISHDOGSANYMORE?

The first would make a better slogan, though the second

might be hard to fit on gimme caps and campaign buttons.

As Donald Trump flew in to Scotland today after the UK's seismic break with the European Union, parallels have been drawn with the anti-immigration message that led to Brexit and his rise to presumptive Republican presidential candidate.

Trump's first Tweet in reaction to the Brexit vote:

"Just arrived in Scotland. Place is going wild over the vote. They took their country back, just like we will take America back. No games!"

But, um, Scotland actually voted against leaving the EU and now wants to leave the UK because of the Brexit vote.

Trump's uninformed tweet was quickly called out:

"Scotland voted IN you moron."

"Scotland voted Remain, you weapons-grade plum."

"You are in Scotland. We voted #Remain. #EUref"

"All 32 voting areas in Scotland voted to stay in the E.U.

How are they "going wild over the vote"?"
  • Like 4

Good post, Holden.  Trump wanted to claim victory as a lot of the EXIT campaign was waged against immigrants in a 'return to Leave it to Beaver-land" promise which is entirely unrealistic.  Or should we say "return to Corrie-Street circa 1955"

The fact that most people over 65 in working class districts in England who will never hold a job again voted to exit should be noted.  The future of the country and the future of Great Britain has been put in peril because of this totally unnecessary referendum called by an absolute idiot, namely David Cameron.

Trump claims it is good for business because the pound has plummeted.  His golf courses if they are so wonderful should not be dependant on that anyway.  He doesn't mention that their value in American dollars has dropped off a cliff.

Right-Wing Brexit Leader Admits Key Campaign Promise Was a Complete Lie..

The vote to leave was based in large part on the promise that £350 million pounds normally allocated to the European Union each week would instead be available for UK’s massively popular National Health Services (NHS). However, Good Morning Britain’s Susanna Reid pressed Farage on the claim, who admitted it was “one of the mistakes” the Vote Leave campaign made.

REID: "You’re saying after 17 million people had voted for Leave, based, I don’t know how many people voted based on that advert, but that was a huge part of the propaganda, you’re now saying that’s a mistake."

http://usuncut.com/world/brexit-campaign-ukip-complete-lie/

- sure sounds like 'SOMEbody' on this side of the pond :lol:

LIE-DENY-LIE-DENY-LIE-DENY......

• Like 1

Brexit and the New Global Rebellion--

"A major crack has appeared in the edifice of globalization, and the neoliberal order that has dominated the world’s economy since the end of World War II is now in danger.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing, by any means.

But poisonous weeds are just as likely as green shoots to grow up through those cracks. To paraphrase John F. Kennedy: Those who make constructive evolution impossible may be making destructive devolution inevitable...."

http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/06/24/brexit-and-new-global-rebellion

Great Britain’s decision to leave the European Union has wiped out many bankers and global speculators. They will turn, as they did in 2008, to governments to rescue them from default. Most governments, including ours, will probably comply.

Whatever happens next will be chaotic. Global financial markets, which lost heavily on derivatives, are already in free fall. The value of the British pound has dropped by over 9 percent and British bank stock prices by over 25 percent. This decline has wiped out the net worth of many Wall Street brokerage houses and banks, leaving them with negative equity. The Brexit vote severely cripples and perhaps kills the eurozone and, happily, stymies trade agreements such as the Trans-Pacific Partnership. It throws the viability of NATO and American imperial designs in Eastern Europe and the Middle East into question. The British public’s repudiation of neoliberal economics also has the potential to upend the presidential elections. The Democratic Party will orchestrate a rescue of Wall Street if there is a call for a bailout. Donald Trump and the Republicans, by opposing a bailout, can ride popular revulsion to power.

“A lot of banks in America and Europe that held their money in Great Britain just lost 9 percent at current exchange rates,” said economist Michael Hudson when I reached him in New York by phone. “They have probably not hedged it. There have probably been large Wall Street institutions that made bets believing that Britain would remain in the European Union. There are firms and banks, I suspect, which have lost hundreds of billions of dollars. There is talk of another Lehman Brothers. We don’t yet know who it will be.”

Read more by Chris Hedges here:

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/2008_all_over_again_20160624

The first which I heard of the referendum was an article some time past re: how American banks were positioning themselves so as to not suffer losses no matter what the election results. I suspect the only ones which will have major losses are those few which gambled heavily on: Remain and hoped to collect obscene profits if they were correct.

Who Are The Biggest Losers From Brexit?

Yesterday, we warned "EU is nothing without Britain," and it seems that is being borne out by today's price action. There are two big losers from the Brits' decision to "Leave" - UK Billionaires... and the rest of Europe.

First of all, UK stocks dropped almost 3% today - no doubt an ugly day - but look at the complete catastrophe across The EU...

Read more Zero Hedge >

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-24/who-are-biggest-losers-brexit

A lot of the trauma is based on uncertainty and will correct. The fall of the pound does not seem that drastic to me. It's $1.37 today. When I was in London in March, it was around $1.41.  That's not so big a drop. It was a bit higher in the week before the Brexit vote, but that high was out of line with recent rates.

I think some of the "Leave" voters are beginning to regret their actions. Time will tell where this goes. But the real culprit is probably the overreach of the EU -- getting into areas that were not envisioned when the UK joined.

A lot of the trauma is based on uncertainty and will correct. The fall of the pound does not seem that drastic to me. It's $1.37 today. When I was in London in March, it was around $1.41.  That's not so big a drop. It was a bit higher in the week before the Brexit vote, but that high was out of line with recent rates.

I think some of the "Leave" voters are beginning to regret their actions. Time will tell where this goes. But the real culprit is probably the overreach of the EU -- getting into areas that were not envisioned when the UK joined.

Any chance of a revote?

Part of the sensibility that may have led to the Brexit vote (I posted the song in the Musical Theater thread). From Gilbert and Sullivan:

For he might have been a Roosian, 

A French, or Turk, or Proosian, 
Or perhaps Itali-an! 

Or perhaps Itali-an!

But in spite of all temptations 
To belong to other nations, 
He remains an Englishman! 

• Like 1

Part of the sensibility that may have led to the Brexit vote (I posted the song in the Musical Theater thread). From Gilbert and Sullivan:

For he might have been a Roosian,

A French, or Turk, or Proosian,

Or perhaps Itali-an!

Or perhaps Itali-an!

But in spite of all temptations

To belong to other nations,

Swithin--

You know, as well as I do, that the English have never considered themselves to be European. They're always making remarks about the odd culture on the continent.

And I don't have to remind you that the Europeans had a Common Market in 1957 that the United Kingdom refused to join until 1973.

Also the UK never has been a monetary part of the EU, actually never giving up the pound sterling.

I was living in France when they changed over to the Euro, the Brits never would give up her majesty on the currency.

During World War II the French and the Germans, in some regards, got very close. Of course I'm speaking of the collaboration government in France and the widespread National support it had in France.

De Gaulle and Churchill never got very close. They spent the war trying to undermine each other's relationship with Franklin Roosevelt and the US.

DeGaulle and Churchill still had a lot of Napoleonic feelings going on during World War II.

Americans don't understand the animosity between England and the continent. Or the animosity between England and France.

Having lived in both countries, I thought there would be more animosity between France and Germany; but to my surprise-- that was not the case.

The outcome of this may be the loss of Scotland, and maybe even Northern Ireland for the UK. I'm sure when they started the Brexit, that was not their goal. However, the break-up of the UK may be the result.

I wonder what her majesty, the Queen, thinks of that?

• Like 2

Any chance of a revote?

No.

The Government is not legally bound by the results of this or any Referendum (where btw, there are very few held in the UK). The Doctrine of Parliamentary Sovereignty gives tremendous powers to parliament to make laws as they wish.

I was always heartened by the fact that Thatcher couldn't stand

the Germans and was always afraid they were going to take

over Europe, if only economically, and leave the lime eaters

somewhere lower down on the totem pole. Deutschland Uber Alles,

you old bag lady. Update: Still Dead. :)