Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

The 75 Greatest LGBT Films of All Time

12 posts in this topic

Interesting list but somewhat slanted towards foreign and obscure indies-  and please how can you make a list about the greatest gay films and not include "Brokeback Mountain" ?! 

• Like 3

"Brokeback Mountain" is a beautiful, heartbreaking film with an unforgettable performance by Heath Ledger.  I know it is fashionable in certain circles to dismiss it ( "I'm postgay, I abhor the obvious and commercial') but time will tell that BBM will stand as a great movie and not just a gay one.  Anyone seen "Taxi Zum Klo" it is wonderful a time capsule for an era that was pre Aids and pretty damn awesome (if at times a bit morally ambiguous- I came of age in the late seventies, early eighties 60 miles from NYC. It was... delicious, devil may care and dangerous. I regret nothing

• Like 1

"Brokeback Mountain" is a beautiful, heartbreaking film with an unforgettable performance by Heath Ledger.  I know it is fashionable in certain circles to dismiss it ( "I'm postgay, I abhor the obvious and commercial') but time will tell that BBM will stand as a great movie and not just a gay one.  Anyone seen "Taxi Zum Klo" it is wonderful a time capsule for an era that was pre Aids and pretty damn awesome (if at times a bit morally ambiguous- I came of age in the late seventies, early eighties 60 miles from NYC. It was... delicious, devil may care and dangerous. I regret nothing

I can't imagine anyone dismissing "Brokeback Mountain....you remind me of a movie call " Alone Together"

Not a very good list, and yes, too foreign-centric.. It includes a few films that definitely belong in the greatest list, like Maurice; and I was definitely pleased to see another of my all-time favorites on the list: The Long Day Closes, which is every so slightly subtly gay, and one of the most beautiful movies ever made. But it's surprising that a list that has so many foreign films would omit Lilies (Les Feluettes), an exquisite and imaginative Canadian film, as well as scores of other American and British films.

The list also includes a few films that I consider just ok, like Carol, Eastern Boys, and Stranger by the Lake, but not deserving of being on any best films list.

• Like 1

I saw a British film years ago about two young boys in a housing project (Birmingham?) who fall in love.  They have a friend, a heavy set black girl.  "Beautiful" something it was a beautiful film very poignant and haunting

• Like 1

I saw a British film years ago about two young boys in a housing project (Birmingham?) who fall in love.  They have a friend, a heavy set black girl.  "Beautiful" something it was a beautiful film very poignant and haunting

Sounds like Beautiful Thing (1996).

280full.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like Beautiful Thing (1996).

280full.jpg

That is a lovely movie -- I saw it as a play first.  There are many excellent British gay movies. 

• Like 1

"My Beautiful Laundrette" my first introduction to Daniel Day Lewis!  Here is a topic for conversation: "straight" actors who believably play Gay.  Never bought William Hurt in "Kiss of the Spider Woman" as a gay person but Lewis was believable as well as  Hoffman in "Capote" and Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain"

Who can play Gay? and who can't?

• Like 1

"My Beautiful Laundrette" my first introduction to Daniel Day Lewis!  Here is a topic for conversation: "straight" actors who believably play Gay.  Never bought William Hurt in "Kiss of the Spider Woman" as a gay person but Lewis was believable as well as  Hoffman in "Capote" and Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain"

Who can play Gay? and who can't?

Interesting... Molina is "Kiss of the Spider Woman" is a very theatrical role- also I find the gay man who sacrifices himself the love of a "straight " man is kind of dated and annoying.... I never believed Hoffman in "Capote"-  Truman in that movie was barely gay- Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain" is on another level altogether- he deserved the Oscar for that one.  Matt Damon was very convincing as Liberace's lover