Sign in to follow this  
Conan

The Great War WWI

21 posts in this topic

8 years from now will be the centennial of the Great War. The war to end all wars! I am sure that Hollywood will be turning out a few World War One movies to commemorate. It would be a welcome break from WW2 movies of which Flags of Our Fathers is soon to be released.

What are your favorite World War One movies?

For me I enjoy The Dawn Patrol, Hell's Angels, All Quiet on the Western Front and The Big Parade.

Are there any WWI movies dealing with sea battles?

My favorites are "All Quiet on the Western Front" (1930), "Paths of Glory" (1957) and "Westfront 1918" (1930).

Naval movies: John Ford's "Submarine Patrol" (1938), "The Battle of Jutland" (1921), and "The African Queen" (1951), not really a sea battle, but it did take place on the water. :-)

I almost put The African Queen but I was trying to think of something more military. It's good you mentioned those other titles for sea battles because I haven't heard of them before but I'll definitly keep an eye out. Paths of Glory is a great movie too.

After I posted my response, I thought there must be many more WWI naval movies. I found this link tonight for nearly all WWI movies, many of them naval:

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavalFilms.htm

And I found another one, "Shout at the Devil" (1976) starring Lee Marvin and Roger Moore. Don't know how I never saw that one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075214/

Didn't John Ford do a movie called "Submarine Patrol" or something like that in 1937 about the US navy vs. German subs? I've seen a clip of it, but I've never seen the movie shown anywhere.

Two rare Ford movies, "Four Sons" and "Pilgrimage" deal with WWI and its aftermath. Both are very good.

Other WWI movies I like: "Paths of Glory," "Lawrence of Arabia," "The Dawn Patrol," "Sergeant York," "The Great War" (an Italian film with Vittorio Gassman and Alberto Sordi). Years ago, I saw a terrific Romanian film "Gathering Clouds" about that country and WWI.

A couple of good WW1 film are THE BIG PARADE (1925) with John Gilbert, and BARBED WIRE (1927) with Pola Negri. Also THE BETTER 'OLE (1926) with Syd Chaplin is pretty good too.

Mike:

You are right. imdb.com shows a film titled "Submarine Patrol" from 1938. You're ahead in the game because I've never even heard of it. Ford did do another submarine picture titled, oddly enough, "Men Without Women" from 1930. It's more of a rescue type film than a war picture. It's kind of an odd picture. Saw it a long time ago when AMC ran their film preservation weekend with Ford films. Not one of his finer works.

A rare film I acquired recently is JOURNEY'S END, a 1930 American-British co-production (the first, I believe). Based on a play by R.C.Sheriff and directed by James Whale (his debut), the film looks at WWI thru the eyes of British officers (which both Sheriff and Whale were), and stars Colin Clive in his screen debut. I think Laurence Olivier starred in the theater version, but turned down the screen role. It is a riveting film which certainly holds its own against ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT. My copy is only fair, but, hopefully, someday a restored verion will be available. It is remarkable in its depiction of the horrors and anguish of war.

An interesting little film is called 'Fraulein Doktor' and is pretty average until you get to the combat finale. Pretty grusome in its day (1960's) with its depiction of gas warfare.

Did anyone see "Flyboys" that was released to theaters a couple months back? I didn't get around to seeing it and was wondering if it is any good.

Yes i saw flyboys and it was a great movie that did not receive the publicity it deserved it had great aerial photography

Yes I too thought that the aerial shots were spectacular. They really made the film interesting and we got to see what it was really like to be a flyboy. I found a link today that I thought was really interesting because it pays tribute to heroes that we may know. Whoever wins this contest gets flying lessons and to fly in a real ariel dogfight. All people have to do is send in videos, pictures, or stories of hometown heroes that they know. Here are the links. I thought this was real patriotic. http://flyboys.fanation.com/?L3266

http://flyboys.fanation.com/?L3247

my favorite WWI movies are:

The Fighting 69th- James Cagney and Pat Obrien-soon to be released on DVD.

The Dawn Patrol- 1938-Errol Flynn-also soon to be released on DVD.

Hell's Angels-1930- Jean Harlow

Paths of Glory- kirk Douglas

What Price Glory- James Cagney

The Lost Patrol- Boris Karloff, Victor Maclagen

Hell Below- Walter Houston

All Quiet on the Western Front

and a newer made British film called- Deathwatch-

IMHO "What Price Glory ? " was a John Ford misfire. "The Lost Patrol "is great, and " The Fighting 69th " has a lot of Irishmen in it, which ALWAYS makes for a GREAT Motion Picture, not matter what the genre.

Journey's End is a great film. It's sad that Whale is mostly known for his work in the horror genre because he obviously did many other great films.

I'll also go with:

The Big Parade (1925)

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

The Lost Patrol (1934)

The Grand Illusion (1937)

I imagine any James Whale film about world war one has got to be good. He was in the war himself. They made a great movie about his life a bunch of years ago called "Gods and Monsters". If you are a James Whale fan you should see this film. He was also one of the uncredited writers and directors of the film Hell's Angels with Jean Harlow from 1930.....Hell's Angels is probably my favorite film about world war one.

You might want to look at the W. German film "Coup de Grace," made in 1976 by Volker Schlondorff. It is about the Eastern front in the aftermath of WWI and the Russian Revolution. German aristocratic war vets are trying to protect the ancestral estate from Communists in the Baltic.

In some ways, this gorgeous black-and-white film is a counterpoint to Dr. Zhivago. I like it much better. There are few films about this aspect of WWI.