Barton_Keyes

TCM Announces July 2016 Guest Host for Robert Osborne

145 posts in this topic

It was announced today, via TCM's Twitter page, that journalist Dave Karger will be guest-hosting for Robert Osborne on Friday and Saturday nights in July. Karger, 43, was a reporter and columnist for Entertainment Weekly from 1995 to 2012, where he was noted for his coverage of the film awards season. Currently, Karger is a frequent on-air contributor to NBC's TODAY show.

gettyimages-462649018-h_2016.jpg

Dave Karger, formerly of Entertainment Weekly, will be guest hosting for TCM's Robert Osborne in July.

Coincidentally, this is not the first time that Karger is stepping into Osborne's shoes. After Osborne left his role as the official red carpet greeter at the Academy Awards ceremony, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences called upon Karger to replace him.

Karger takes over guest-hosting duties on TCM from Golden Globe-nominated actress Madeleine Stowe (TV's Revenge). Stowe substituted for Robert Osborne on Friday and Saturday nights in May and June, after having previously been a guest programmer on TCM in September 2013.

• Like 4

Are they close to finding a permanent host to replace Osborne?  Are they looking to replace him at all, or do they expect him to live to 100?  It's a really a dilemma for them.  They don't want someone too young, but older guys don't last too long.

Dang.

Well, he's certainly easy on the eyes, and Heavens knows, that doesn't hurt.

(Yeah, I said it.)

Kind'a looks like Jimmy Kimmel to me. Well, now that Jimmy's slimmed down a bit lately, anyway.

Of course then again, when Jimmy WAS "a little heavy", he always reminded me of that British dude who co-stars on the Velocity Channel's "Wheeler Dealers" program, Mike Brewer...

tradingup.jpg

(...yeah, I know...it's just "a gift" I have, that's all)

;)

Are they close to finding a permanent host to replace Osborne?  Are they looking to replace him at all, or do they expect him to live to 100?  It's a really a dilemma for them.  They don't want someone too young, but older guys don't last too long.

The short answer to your question is yes.

The long answer is that Ben Mankiewicz will likely be assuming most of Osborne's hosting duties, with Saturday afternoon host Tiffant Vazquez eventually taking on a larger role with TCM when Osborne retires. TCM, I am told, is currently calling upon guest hosts to fill in because Osborne is halfway through a multi-year contract; he does not have any intention of permanently retiring for a couple of years. Osborne is taking some time off so he can resolve some health issues, but I understand that he definitely plans on returning to TCM eventually.

At least he's knowledgeable about movies (he has appeared on TCM before). Is Osborne EVER coming back????

• Like 1

At least he's knowledgeable about movies (he has appeared on TCM before). Is Osborne EVER coming back????

I've been told that Robert Osborne certainly intends to come back. But his health is a bit delicate right now, and he's not up to appearing on-air for TCM. He's still got two years to go on his current contract, though, and Osborne is not planning to retire before that time.

A friend of mine who works on TCM's studio production has told me that during his current leave of absence, Osborne has remained quite active in an editorial capacity for TCM. He's been responsible for writing the wraparounds for guest hosts Madeleine Stowe and, now, Dave Karger. So even if the films are being presented by someone else, we're still hearing Osborne's 'voice'. This arrangement allows Osborne to continue sharing his knowledge of classic film and to justify his continuing to earn a paycheque even if he's not on-camera.

• Like 4

When was the last time Osborne hosted an evening on TCM? 

Has he made any public appearances in other places these past few months?

When was the last time Osborne hosted an evening on TCM? 

Has he made any public appearances in other places these past few months?

Robert Osborne last hosted an evening on TCM on Sunday, February 21, doing wraparounds for THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE, TOM JONES and UNDER THE VOLCANO for 31 Days of Oscar.

Since then he has made, as far as I know, two public appearances. He attended the opening night of the off-Broadway revival of George Bernard Shaw's play Widowers' Houses on March 13. Here's how he looked that evening:

515490474-actor-robert-osborne-attends-t

He next appeared at a function in New York City on April 19. At that time, actress Maureen Van Zandt said on Twitter that: "I'm so excited [that] I just met TCM's Robert Osborne...," while further reporting that he "looked fine."

• Like 2

Dang.

Well, he's certainly easy on the eyes, and Heavens knows, that doesn't hurt.

(Yeah, I said it.)

Really, Lorna?

I'm not that impressed with the new boy's looks, unless I thought that Stephen Talbot [Lyle's son] who played Gilbert Bates on "Leave It To Beaver" was "easy on the eyes" also.

And I didn't!

Check it out; they look like they could be brothers, but of course that nasty Gilbert is way older now.

The short answer to your question is yes.

The long answer is that Ben Mankiewicz will likely be assuming most of Osborne's hosting duties, with Saturday afternoon host Tiffant Vazquez eventually taking on a larger role with TCM when Osborne retires. TCM, I am told, is currently calling upon guest hosts to fill in because Osborne is halfway through a multi-year contract; he does not have any intention of permanently retiring for a couple of years. Osborne is taking some time off so he can resolve some health issues, but I understand that he definitely plans on returning to TCM eventually.

The phrase "taking on larger roles" is reminiscent of the career of Wanda Hendrix during her tenure with Warner Bros. and Paramount.

When that didn't work out, she eventually married the playboy brother of Robert Stack.

All's well that ends well.

Here's hoping Robert Osborne is up and well to return soon and keep things up to snuff.

I've been told that Robert Osborne certainly intends to come back. But his health is a bit delicate right now, and he's not up to appearing on-air for TCM. He's still got two years to go on his current contract, though, and Osborne is not planning to retire before that time.

A friend of mine who works on TCM's studio production has told me that during his current leave of absence, Osborne has remained quite active in an editorial capacity for TCM. He's been responsible for writing the wraparounds for guest hosts Madeleine Stowe and, now, Dave Karger. So even if the films are being presented by someone else, we're still hearing Osborne's 'voice'. This arrangement allows Osborne to continue sharing his knowledge of classic film and to justify his continuing to earn a paycheque even if he's not on-camera.

So did Norma Desmond.

• Like 2

Who is Dave Karger?

Who is Dave Karger?

I had to look him up, too. He's an entertainment writer and commentator. He works (or worked) at Entertainment Weekly, specializing in awards-season coverage.

• Like 1

. . .  with Saturday afternoon host Tiffant Vazquez eventually taking on a larger role with TCM when Osborne retires. 

To quote "Q" from Star Trek Next Generation:

"May Whatever God You Believe In Have Mercy On Your Souls."

• Like 2

Like I said, Lydecker, shades of Wanda Hendrix!

• Like 1

I caught Tiffany's long blurb introducing herself to TCM audiences, and her delivery and phrasing make Drew Barrymore, by comparison, sound like an accomplished orator.

• Like 8

I caught Tiffany's long blurb introducing herself to TCM audiences, and her delivery and phrasing make Drew Barrymore, by comparison, sound like an accomplished orator.

I'm surprised that Tila Tequila isn't in the running for a spot on the hosting team, Down.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that Tila Tequila isn't in the running for a spot on the hosting team, Down.

I'm going to have to run to google. I assume that her occupation is not "rocket scientist".

• Like 1

dr-evil-pinky-o.gif

• Like 2

What does Crosby have to do with this?

I think Crosby would have been more of a Tara Reid man than a Tila Tequila one.

And I ain't singing Dixie!

Robert Osborne last hosted an evening on TCM on Sunday, February 21, doing wraparounds for THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE, TOM JONES and UNDER THE VOLCANO for 31 Days of Oscar.

Since then he has made, as far as I know, two public appearances. He attended the opening night of the off-Broadway revival of George Bernard Shaw's play Widowers' Houses on March 13. Here's how he looked that evening:

He next appeared at a function in New York City on April 19. At that time, actress Maureen Van Zandt said on Twitter that: "I'm so excited [that] I just met TCM's Robert Osborne...," while further reporting that he "looked fine."

Thanks for the information, Barton. We appreciate the updates about TCM programming and hosting.