Sign in to follow this  
LesHalles

In regards to TCM Underground....

25 posts in this topic

First of all, I wanted to thank TCM for presenting ?Underground?. It?s long overdue and I hope TCM continues the series on at least a monthly basis. If Zombie can?t do it, Osborne can!

Second, you knew there was a complaint coming, the programming decision to start the films at 2am is questionable.

Essentially, these are ?Midnight movies?. Start them at midnight so your viewers can see them! I caught the first 15 minutes of Plan 9 and then fell asleep. I understand there are plenty of night owls out there and I?ve been known to stay up all night but, give us a break. We want to watch these films!

Again, Thank you TCM. Keep up the good work.

I second that emotion.

Thankfully, I'm on the west coast so we get ours at 11:00, which is still a little late to start a double feature IMHO. Set your VCR is my only advice, I caught both "Bride of the Monster" and the unexpectedly freakin unbelieveable "The Old Dark House" that way.

Ah, yes! The Old Dark House! How good is that. That is a James Whale film (Frankenstein '31), which is neat.

I would take 11pm over 2am any day! These are the times where one wishes he had Tivo or something.

I agree they should show them at an earlier time. Luckily, I recorded Plan 9 & Bride of the Monster & will have to just keep recording them so I can see at a convenient time. Maybe since this is a new programming idea, they are testing the waters to see how popular it is. Hopefully they will change the time. I have to work 9-5:30 on Saturdays!!!

Midnight EST/9 PST would be the perfect time to start. But I gotta say, I can't imagine any self-respecting TCM fan NOT owning a DVR recorder or TiVo at this point. And even if not, use the damn VCR!!

What innovative ideas!! Geez thanks!!

A ''self-respecting" TCM fan wouldn't respond with these obvious suggestions. I was responding to another poster that didn't like the fact that the Cult Classics are on so late. I believe we can complain about some things as everyone else does, but really I'd much rather read & post about the films. Simple as that.

A. Hole, are you stupid or something? I guess you don't get it. Maybe you should go on IMDB & argue with posters there. Sorry to F U your plans to create a way to vent. It's very easy to delete you know. Now you have a nice day...

What is your problem?

You jumped all over me for no reason at all, and you have the gall to accuse me of arguing? You're acting like an irrational child.

I'd love it if you could explain what I did to deserve this abusive behavior, because right now it just looks like you're some kind of nutjob.

I can well understand the 2AM starting time, as that is 11 PM on the West Coast - plenty early to be showing some films that just might not be appropriate for younger eyes, but which the folks might want to see after kiddies are well-tucked in. And there is a marvelous term that seems to have been invented along with electronic stuff that makes it possible - "time shifting." These days, that's what it's all about. Watch it "live," the next day, next month.... The choice is yours.

I have read (when VCRs were still "it") that in surveys it was reported that 40-50% of all VCRs had never been used to record, only to watch rented tapes. I still am stunned when I think about that, but I can believe it after mentioning it to some friends. I surely don't think that would apply to most of this board, though. No way!

Many of my favorite things are shown sometime between 4 AM and, say, 11 in the morning. No complaint from me; I'm grateful to see movies I NEVER thought would turn up - sharp, blurry, sound problems, sometimes but they are THERE!!!!

By the way - if you REALLY want to see "The Old Dark House," the Criterion laserdisc was a wonder to behold and I assume it's on DVD from them by now. If not, try to find that LD. Gorgeous, and with extra materials in a beautiful gatefold!

"The Old Dark House" did not make it over to DVD from Criterion.

Whomever owns the rights now has issued their own DVD. I actually didn't know Criterion had issued it on Laser Disc. Alas, I have some great titles on Laser Disc, including some OOP Criterion titles, but my Laser Disc player broke.

In regards to Tivo and VCR's and the like. Let's keep it nice in here peeps, it's a cult movie forum for god sakes. Anyway, I don't have my VCR hooked up anymore and even if I did, I wouldn't tape anything on it. I find VCR tapes to bulky now. I still have a million of them it seems and my wife keeps asking me when I'm going to throw them out. I say "Cause I know I got something good on them".

I used to tape the Monster Movie-a-thon TCM used to show a few years ago and I never went back to watch them.

And yes, I'm self-respecting w/ no Tivo. eh, So sue me!

Peace in the middle TCM forum.

Sorry. I was thinking Criterion, with all the neat gatefold materials and storyboards, etc. - but it was a Kino laserdisc. I was just re-filing things and found it.

Everything else still holds - gorgeous transfer (and story given behind that), interviews, etc. So, if Kino has it on DVD now, it's WAY ahead of what was shown the other night. (But it won't have that wonderful, large cover full of info and pictures!)

I'm a big Rob Zombie fan, so that's what made me watch this. I really like it. I watch the channel more now too. I really enjoy the movies that are featured. Some I've never heard of before and never seen, and some I have. After Rob is done, I too hope they continue in the UNDERGROUND series. Even if only once a month.

Kudos to TCM. People are passionate about cult movies & they're an important, indeed vital, part of movie history. Filmmakers who are willing to take risks & push the envelope are its life's blood.

Rob Zombie is a perfect choice for host. He speaks with knowledge, intelligence & passion (there's that word again) about these films. He doesn't ramble; he's concise & his insights add to the enjoyment & appreciation of the films. The guy knows his stuff.

For me, this has been the best thing to hit television in years. I've found myself looking forward all week to staying up on Friday night to watch whatever Rob has in store for us.

Rob is the perfect host for TCM Underground. Even the movies I may not have otherwise enjoyed, after his intro pointing out things to watch for and explaining why the film became a cult movie, I can appreciate the experience of watching the film.

I am disappointed that they seem to have dropped the double-feature aspect of the show.

I stayed up to watch "Peeping Tom" last week, and was really disappointed when I realized it was not part of Underground, so no commentary from Rob, and really no connection to "Sisters".

The double-features gave a very nostalgic, "drive in" feel to the show that I really enjoyed.

I agree, TCM Underground is great. Tonights movie ELECTRA GLIDE IN BLUE is an undiscovered classic and I am so excited that THE SADIST will be shown on Nov. 24. It is a true gem of a film and as good as any thriller made today.

I work night work all week except for Friday nights but my sleeping schedule is still screwed up on Fridays so I can appreciate this movie watching experience this time of the night. Kudos to TCM and Rob Zombie for collaborating(sp?) on a wonderful project. I for one do not have to run out and see the latest blockbuster in theaters. I watch Silent Cinema Sunday with my husband and if it weren't for him I would never have been introduced to the wonderful movies that TCM shows all the time with the greats such as Lon Chaney, Bela Lugosi,John Barrymore et al. Rob Zombie is a man way ahead of his time in his love of all underground movies that a wider audience needs to be introduced to. Even his vision for his concerts and movies is amazing, especially his attention to detail he gives to his concert performances. Keep up the good work and keep the classice B-movies coming, I can't wait to see what comes next with this partnership.

I agree, TCM Underground is the best thing to happen to Fridays in a long time. It takes me back to when I was a kid and would wait with baited breath for Dr. Schock on the weekends. He would have horror movies on Saturday nights on the UHF. It is great that TCM is trying to capture that horror hosting which went by the wayside like the great Drive-in movies.I know on other threads that TCM purists have objected to Underground, but many of us out here have for years sought out great sleepers away from mainstream cinema, and I think it is fantastic that TCM is trying to capture that audience.

Can't agree more about ELECTRA GLIDE IN BLUE. It should have a subtitle: "Easy Rider's Revenge".

Got "The Sadist" on tape for later viewing. So much as I saw, it looked sort of loosely based on the Charlie Starkweather rampage.

Two cult classics that would be perfect for late Friday night TCM Underground:

1. Neighbors (1981) -- Dan Aykroyd & John Belushi (from the novel by Thomas Berger (*Little Big Man*); Belushi's last movie.

2. Steelyard Blues (1973) -- Donald Sutherland, Jane Fonda, Peter Boyle

It IS odd that the TCM Underground series, which got off to such a bang for a few weeks of double-features, has been changed to single films...and, if you look at the schedule ahead, it seems Underground is going to be removed completely! Could this be true?!! Has there been more viewer complaint than viewer applause? The series has such potential! (And, if it's true that it's leaving, it's as disappointing as when TNT decided to ax its delightful '100% Weird' series late Friday nights.)

Why would they take it off the air? Can there really be that many complaints about something that is on at 2am? I can't even imagine watching something at 2am unless I really liked it, but watching it just so I can complain later? That makes no sense.

And then I read rumors of people being against Rob Zombie (even suggested Ozzie Osbourne as a better host). For me, Rob makes many of the films. His commentaries at the beginning and ends of the film help to explain why the film became a cult classic and what to watch for during the screening. Rob is intelligent, articulate, and has an understanding and appreciation for these films that few can equal.

When Underground does a double-feature I go without sleep that night. When was the last time you could say anything on television was worth that?

I applaud TCM for showing these movies and for having a host who makes the viewing worthwhile. If they are to change anything about the show, I would like to see it have more airings for those times you just can't catch it on Friday night.

I'm a traditionalist and so far haven't been impressed with the "Cult Classics" I've seen thus far, but have no problem with the 2:00 a.m. slot... I hope they WON'T change the time nor add more airings... As pointed out in an earlier post, surely every self-proclaimed movie fan has some means of recording (I have only VCR).

Thank goodness for the VCR. I tape many "midnite movies" this way. And thank you TCM for showing this long-neglected genre. More-more and keep them B&W!

I love TCM Underground, too. Finally an opportunity to see some of the cult films I've heard off but have never seen before. Yes, Rob Zombie does point out things to look for and I appreciate that. I watched "The Honeymoon Killers" last night and although I missed about the first 20 minutes or so, I was impressed by it. Especially the look of terror in the one woman's eyes when she realizes she is going to die! And even if you don't see the child being killed, it is a pretty horrorific scene! Thanks, TCM!