Sign in to follow this  
hepclassic

Olivia de Havilland is 100 July 1st!

67 posts in this topic

It is worth celebrating indeed! 

This two time Oscar winner for Best Actress for To Each His Own (1946) and The Heiress (1949), along with two Golden Globe wins for The Heiress (1949) and for her Best Supporting Actress in a Television Movie or Miniseries in Anastasia: The Mystery Of Anna (1986) for which she also won a Primetime Emmy Award. She has also been awarded in 2008 the National Medal of the Arts, in 2010 the title of Chevalier de Legion d'Honneur in France (where she now lives), and just this year, the 2016 Oldie of the Year award. 

She also changed Hollywood when she contested Warner Brothers for a say in the roles available to her, which is now known as the De Havilland Law, which says an employers can not enforce a contract upon an employee for no more than seven years. 

5b3d456bf4fa59741d51897fd9c56936.jpg

Happy 100th Olivia! 

• Like 5

It is worth celebrating indeed! 

This two time Oscar winner for Best Actress for To Each His Own (1946) and The Heiress (1949), along with two Golden Globe wins for The Heiress (1949) and for her Best Supporting Actress in a Television Movie or Miniseries in Anastasia: The Mystery Of Anna (1986) for which she also won a Primetime Emmy Award. She has also been awarded in 2008 the National Medal of the Arts, in 2010 the title of Chevalier de Legion d'Honneur in France (where she now lives), and just this year, the 2016 Oldie of the Year award. 

She also changed Hollywood when she contested Warner Brothers for a say in the roles available to her, which is now known as the De Havilland Law, which says an employers can not enforce a contract upon an employee for no more than seven years. 

5b3d456bf4fa59741d51897fd9c56936.jpg

Happy 100th Olivia! 

Thanks for the nice write up.    Olivia was one stellar actress and as you noted she had the guts to challenge the studio system assisting all workers under contract.  

While I have seen hundreds of pictures of Olivia I don't recall ever seeing this one.    Classy and beautiful.

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice write up.    Olivia was one a stellar actress and as you noted she had the guts to challenge the studio system assisting all workers under contract.  

While I have seen hundreds of pictures of Olivia I don't recall ever seeing this one.    Classy and beautiful.

I did a google search and this one just spoke to me. I never highlight the usual photos. 

Anyway, next to the public feud with her sister, the equally talented Joan Fontaine (1917-2013, may she rest in peace), people do know her for that. In fact, in 2013, Jared Leto said he met her when his band was in France, and just wanted to tell her how much he appreciated her legal strides for creative freedom. 

• Like 1

This is kind of sad, but recently I mentioned Olivia's milestone birthday on a general interest forum I visit, which has a movie subforum.  There wasn't much interest in the topic other than one person who remembered she was in "Gone With the Wind" and a few who weren't even aware she was still alive.  Those of us who appreciate classic film may sometimes over estimate the interest and/or knowledge of others.

• Like 4

This is kind of sad, but recently I mentioned Olivia's milestone birthday on a general interest forum I visit, which has a movie subforum.  There wasn't much interest in the topic other than one person who remembered she was in "Gone With the Wind" and a few who weren't even aware she was still alive.  Those of us who appreciate classic film may sometimes over estimate the interest and/or knowledge of others.

That's true. 

I didn't directly mention Gone With The Wind (1939) because while it was Olivia's first Oscar nomination, she should be known for the films she won an Oscar for as well. 

• Like 1

In a world where the latest happenings seem to be one ****mop to the face after another, I am thrilled to pieces that Livvie is still with us.

I dunno what all they are showing for her SOTM, but if I were forced to pick and choose from all her titles that I have seen** I'd say that (IMO):

De Essential De Havilland would be:

THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE (1936)- I mentioned this in the I JUST WATCHED thread and then Speedy reminded me about the horses, and I felt guilty about it, but this movie is so good and so astoundingly uncompromising. It is violent, it is disturbing and it is shocking. It is also wildly historically innacurate, but sue me- it works. The photography is ace. Out of all her pairings with Flynn, THIS ONE demanded the most of her by far, and she exceeds the demand.

GONE WITH THE WIND (1939) Because Duh. In the initial screen tests, Andrea Leeds is awesome as Melanie, but even she comes nowhere close to as good as Olivia is in this movie. She is a real, living, breathing character, plays off of Vivian Leigh exquisitely, holding her own while not making the character fey or cloying. Even people who don't like GWTW (and I am not one of those people) like Melanie.

HOLD BACK THE DAWN (1941) PLEASE TELL ME THEY ARE SHOWING THIS. IT IS SO **** GOOD! OLIVIA IS AMAZING, BOYER IS AMAZING, PAULETTE GODDARD IS AMAZING. IT IS OUT OF ALL HER MOVIES THE ONE TO SEE.

DEVOTION (1946, but really made in 1943) this movie got problems, but I like it. I am, however, not entirely impressed with Lupino as Emily Bronte- it's an uneven performance. To me though, the undeniable success of DEVOTION is DeHavilland, who takes a character who could be- at times kind of an irritating, prim bossypants- and makes her relateable, likeable, and (to me) the real star of the story.

THE SNAKE PIT (1948) Amazing movie. Amazing performance. Only performance in 1948 that I prefer is FONTAINE in LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN.

THE HEIRESS (1949) It's not the most fun movie, and it shows a lot on TCM- but it's one of those rare performances that just simply IS the best given by an actress that year. No debate about it.

** AND THERE'S A FEW I HAVE NOT SEEN, IE THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE

• Like 4

You must see THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE! It is one of my favorite, favorite movies (my favorite Cagney film) and everyone else in the cast shines as well. Olivia is particularly entertaining in this, showing quite a flair for comedy and she pairs up very well with Cagney. And even though Rita Hayworth (the strawberry blonde of the title) is very alluring , Olivia's "plain girl" does not let Rita steal any scenes. Olivia de Havilland could do it all, a remarkable actress, I hope she is doing well and enjoying this milestone birthday.

• Like 3

Congrats Olivia! I'm so happy that she made it to this milestone and I wish her all the happiness and best in the world.  

I agree with Lorna's selections of essential Olivia, even if I haven't most of the films listed. 

Lorna, Hold Back the Dawn is scheduled on July 22.  It's on in the AM hours though, so it looks like I'll be DVR-ing it. 

I'd like to add these films to the list of "Essential" Olivia.

-The Adventures of Robin Hood, I think this is the film that cemented the legendary Flynn/de Havilland pairing.  Yes, they'd made a few films prior, but none as legendary and memorable as their Robin and Marian.  

-The Strawberry Blonde.  This film is one of the best showcases for Olivia's persona.  She's not a typical vain glamour girl as depicted by Rita Hayworth (and an image that is perpetuated in countless films).  She's a girl-next-door type who is intelligent and a bit stubborn.  While she may not be as glamorous as say, Rita Hayworth, she is the one who the men want because she is more down to earth. 

While I know Olivia didn't care for Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, but I love how delightfully wicked she is and how she seems to thrive off of torturing Bette Davis.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLIVIA!!

• Like 6

The weird thing is that this really makes me glad. Four years ago I made a list of great actresses who were still alive, and Olivia was already on top (just ahead of Maureen O'Hara and Lauren Bacall, both deceised now.) Since then I've been rooting for "the heiress" to hit the one hundred candles. This morning I immediately checked Wikipedia to make sure there still isn't another date next to her birth date. What's more, on recent photos she really looks healthy and strong-minded as ever! She's an example for the youngsters, a terrific actress and an inspiring personality. Congratulations!

• Like 3

100 years old.... amazing!

One of the all-time greats.....

Today's the day. Happy 100th. The best ever performance by a lead actress in a film------in THE HEIRESS.

• Like 1

The weird thing is that this really makes me glad. Four years ago I made a list of great actresses who were still alive, and Olivia was already on top (just ahead of Maureen O'Hara and Lauren Bacall, both deceised now.) Since then I've been rooting for "the heiress" to hit the one hundred candles. This morning I immediately checked Wikipedia to make sure there still isn't another date next to her birth date. What's more, on recent photos she really looks healthy and strong-minded as ever! She's an example for the youngsters, a terrific actress and an inspiring personality. Congratulations!

Love the avatar.

• Like 2

Congrats Olivia! I'm so happy that she made it to this milestone and I wish her all the happiness and best in the world.  

I agree with Lorna's selections of essential Olivia, even if I haven't most of the films listed. 

Lorna, Hold Back the Dawn is scheduled on July 22.  It's on in the AM hours though, so it looks like I'll be DVR-ing it. 

DAMN IT! Hopefully my 12 year old niece will visit before then. She alone knows the mystery that is programming the DVR.

I'd like to add these films to the list of "Essential" Olivia.

-The Adventures of Robin Hood, I think this is the film that cemented the legendary Flynn/de Havilland pairing.  Yes, they'd made a few films prior, but none as legendary and memorable as their Robin and Marian.  

Yeah, it was hard not to include this one, I just love how complicated their relationship is in LIGHT BRIGADE and the level of talent it required from them to make the story work, which it does.  I feel the same way about THE SEA OF GRASS (1947)- which is one of the more neglected of the Tracy/Hepburn pairings- they play an unhappy couple with real problems, and it's really made all the more interesting for its lack of happy ending.

For 100 years she has gifted us with her presence. A remarkable achievement for someone who has had a remarkable life.

Congratulations, Olivia de Havilland.

And I agree with those who have cited THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE as one of her most engaging performances. Jimmy Cagney's Biff Grimes was so lucky to have her. "Zactly!" her character might say.

As for her eight film collaborations with Errol Flynn, while Robin Hood is the best film that they made as a screen team, I would nominate their last film together, THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON, as having many of their most memorable scenes together. Seeing her level headed characterization balance with his head strong, impulsive one here was screen chemistry bliss.

5998400.jpg

• Like 3

I simply love her.  She can play hard, she can play funny, and she can play soft -- nobody beats her at soft.

The Heiress, is in my top ten favorite films.  I never get tired of watching that story unfold, but a new favorite is  It's Love I'm After, where she plays a love-struck fan of Leslie Howard's character.  She's very young and just hilarious.

Happy birthday!

• Like 3

I saw the Star of the Month tribute to her this morning. Someone I follow posted it on Twitter, it's narrated by Robert Osborne. It brought a tear to my eye because I love Olivia & I miss Robert.

• Like 2

Happy birthday, my brown-eyed lady.  I feel Olivia and Bette Davis were the top two actresses to shine at Warner's and to combat the studio system.  Olivia was the one who was able to finally win the legal battle.  Apparently, a great intelligence and will of steel lived behind those fawn-like eyes.    Like Hermia, "She's little, but she's fierce." Her performances with Errol Flynn, especially in Robin Hood and They Died with Their Boots on, are sentimental favorites, but she proved her true expertise as an actress in The Heiress.

She was my dad's favorite actress, and in his last years, I'd bring him movie coffee-table books and we'd look at the pictures together.  He'd always say, "You know who I want to look at."  I think she was his second love; Mom was first.  Anyway, she outlived my dad, who passed 4 years ago at age 86.

• Like 5

I saw the Star of the Month tribute to her this morning. Someone I follow posted it on Twitter, it's narrated by Robert Osborne. It brought a tear to my eye because I love Olivia & I miss Robert.

Does Osborne still write cover stories for Now Playing magazine?

She's superb in To Each His Own..... and don't forget My Cousin Rachel

• Like 1

Does Osborne still write cover stories for Now Playing magazine?

Yes, at least the latest one I received which was for July.

She's superb in To Each His Own....

Yep, and I'm kind'a surprised this one hasn't been mention earlier.

It was always one my favorites of Olivia's anyway.

(...she won her first Oscar for her role in this one, ya know)

• Like 1

I simply love her.  She can play hard, she can play funny, and she can play soft -- nobody beats her at soft.

The Heiress, is in my top ten favorite films.  I never get tired of watching that story unfold, but a new favorite is  It's Love I'm After, where she plays a love-struck fan of Leslie Howard's character.  She's very young and just hilarious.

Happy birthday!

I'm happy to see someone enjoys It's Love I'm After as much as I do.     Of course the film has two of the best actors in film history in Bette Davis and Leslie Howard.    Olivia was young but she does a fine job as the love-stuck fan.     My favorite scene in the film is at the breakfast table;    Kippers!  You call these Kippers!         Olivia's speech to her family and guest where she defends the cad Howard is one for the ages.   

• Like 2