glenawalker

Movie - WW2 plane crash and crew were ghosts

36 posts in this topic

I was so excited when I found this thread by chance, and so disappointed when I couldn't find a satisfactory answer to this mystery of what the correct film/tv program is. I too have been looking for years for this piece of work, and have been frustrated because there are so many programs that exist with similar plots, but none that are exactly what I'm looking for.  I just watched Soul Survivor and this is definitely not the right movie.  What I'm looking for was a black and white movie.  To give context, I was born in the 80s and have never owned a black and white TV set.  What I saw was on the Syfy channel in perhaps early 2000s (although I could be wrong about this date).  This program stood out because it was in black and white.  Since I always owned a color TV, a program that is not in color stands out.  In fact, since the Syfy channel plays reruns of Twilight Zone episodes, I assumed it was a Twilight Zone production given the lack of color in the production.  I was also discouraged when I looked through Twilight Zone episodes and found similar plots like King 9 Will Not Return, but had a different twist ending.  For a while I thought I was confused, or had imagined a different ending or details than what I saw.  However, after looking at the responses I am convinced that the other people in this thread are describing exactly what I'm looking for.  What I remember matches what people are describing perfectly.  Everyone who has this production in mind are thinking of a black and white TV show or film in which a group of pilots are trapped in the desert and do not realize they are dead until the end of film. It is not Soul Survivor or Twilight Zone's King 9 Will Not Return.  Also, I recall this production had an all male cast so any movie with actresses would not apply either.  I have tried numerous searches and have only found similar TV programs and movies, but not the exact piece I'm looking for.  Anyone who has knowledge of this specific program and can identify it would be greatly appreciated. 

If it's a B&W TV show that was shown on SyFy, but is not The Twilight Zone, then it could be an episode of One Step Beyond or Lights Out, both of which used to air on SyFy (back when it was SciFi). I would suggest looking through an episode guide for each series (either on IMDb or Wikipedia) and see if one of those matches.

Ok, I think we have it now and can say with a great deal of confidence that is isn't Sole Survivor (1970), but:

• Haha 2

Oh I've been looking on and off.  This is one I have been wondering about too.  To the OP: any more clues would help.  I've looked into about 15 movies or so.  This one intrigues me too.  Once it is figured out, I want a copy!

@LawrenceA: Thank you so much for your help.  After viewing these suggestions, I decided to check out the episode descriptions of the TV programs you mentioned.  I found a website that gives brief explanations of television episodes.  The closest I found was from Lights Out an episode called Rendezvous.  It is the only program I found with an episode involving a plane that sounds close enough to what I was describing.  Unfortunately, all I can find is a vague description of the episode, and have been unable to find a way to obtain a copy so I can view it.  Whenever I try to access this TV series, I keep coming across a newer television program called Lights Out, or have found other episodes from this series but not the episode that I'm searching for.  Does anyone happen to know how I can find a copy of this program so that I can watch it?

I too am one of those people who saw a movie / TV episode of a WW2 bomber crew that crashed in a desert.

- It was Black & White

- The crew actually did play baseball.

- The crew did not know they were dead.

- The crew disappeared one or two at a time, not all at once as in the movie "Sole Survivor" with  Vince Edwards, Richard Basehart, and William Shatner.

- It was not the "King Nine Will Not Return" of The Twilight Zone, Season 2 Episode 1

I have been wanting to watch the movie I remember ever since I first saw it.

Perhaps another person in the Twilight Zone, with the rest of us. At least if Rod shows up..we'll know to stop looking for an answer. But..No Rod..and the search goes on and on..........and on..........

I myself was still stuck watching tv in black and white back in 1970 - and for a couple more years after.

The thing about watching a movie 40 or 50 years ago is that one's memory does a little altering of what one saw and understood at the time. Certain points and images engrain themselves in the memory banks and then turn out to be a little different from the actual movie when viewed many years later. It's a phenomenon I've experienced several times.

When something has only been seen once, it's often the case that alterations to it occur in our minds. It's a product of having thought different things about what we're watching over the course of 90-100 minutes. What we've theorized and what we've actually seen become mixed. Only by re-watching a movie - and the more times, the closer to perfectly - do we recall with accuracy. Added to this factor is that there are other items that may be read or viewed that have similarities to - both before and since - the film in question, thus effecting the clarity of memory even further.

I know a woman who, in a conversation with me back in 1983,  insisted that she saw the hunters in 'Bambi' when she was little and that the images of them had been removed from current prints. She was absolutely positive of this.

I expect that this baseball/ghost-plane will be a case where the searched-for movie that some insist they saw will never be found.

darkblue,  I understand that much of what you are saying can be true, because it has happened to me..where a movie turns out to be different than I remember it.  However, I have been searching for this movie since I was a child and first saw it in the 60s. This movie had such a profound effect on me that I searched the old TV Guides for it week after week, since I was a kid..hoping it would play again. We only got 3 TV channels back then..so the search itself was quite simple.  But, the movie never aired on TV again..at least I could not find it in the listings.  When video stores first opened, I began asking them if they could find the movie for me..with no luck.  And, when I got a computer, I began searching the internet for this movie..with still no luck. The storyline of this movie affected me to the point where it essentially became a lifelong obsession for me. I am 63 years old now, and have been searching since I was 9. My mother watched it with me, and we have been talking about this fantastic movie for 54 years now because that movie had a profound effect on my mother as well. And, you are right about another point you made too. This baseball/ghost plane movie may never be found..but not because it didn't exist. It existed alright..but.. it has been buried in the obscurity of the sands of time.