Sign in to follow this  
Barton_Keyes

Myrna Loy as SOTM December 2016

39 posts in this topic

Bette Davis or Myrna Loy -- who would you rather see as the Star Of The Month in December? That is the choice for TCM Backlot members to decide in their latest contest.

Bette-Davis-1982.jpg

When I learn who Backlot members have selected, I will indicate their decision here.

• Like 2

So definitely no Kirk Douglas 100th celebration? Or maybe they will do a special 24 hour Kirk movie marathon for him.

Of the two, my choice would be Myrna Loy. But, in line with TB's reply, I'm amazed that it won't be Kirk Douglas.

• Like 1

As much as I love Bette Davis, I think I've seen most of her films.

I vote for Myrna Loy.

As much as I love Bette Davis, I think I've seen most of her films.

I vote for Myrna Loy.

Both Loy and Davis have been SOTM twice.     TCM should feature someone else.

• Like 2

It's a hard choice as I can't see how to tie either in to the 14 showings of Holiday Affair .

• Like 3

It's a hard choice as I can't see how to tie either in to the 14 showings of Holiday Affair .

Maybe it was either Bette Davis or Myrna Loy's favorite Christmas movie! 

Both Loy and Davis have been SOTM twice.     TCM should feature someone else.

I'm inclined to agree. Perhaps they picked very well-known icons because they don't think Backlot members are very knowledgeable about character actors or second-tier stars. 

I bet Myrna Loy will be chosen, because those Thin Man movies go better with holiday films in December. 

If she is chosen, it would be a good time to air Republic's THE RED PONY. But my guess is they'll just stick with the MGM and RKO titles she made. And if Bette is chosen, they'll mostly just show the Warner Brothers stuff.

I bet Myrna Loy will be chosen, because those Thin Man movies go better with holiday films in December. 

Another factor which works in Myrna Loy's favour is that Bette Davis is already getting a 24-hour tribute during Summer Under The Stars in  August. That might be a bit of Davis overkill, even for her most ardent fans.

• Like 1

Another factor which works in Myrna Loy's favour is that Bette Davis is already getting a 24-hour tribute during Summer Under The Stars in  August. That might be a bit of Davis overkill, even for her most ardent fans.

True. I hadn't thought of that.

I love both of them-- but I think Bette has more product out there and it has more diversity to it.

But as long as it's not going to be Kirk Douglas--I'll just be very happy whomever they pick.

Miss Davis' take on her professional colleagues:

" The best time I ever had with Joan Crawford was when I pushed her down the stairs in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?"

"I never did pal around with actresses. Their talk usually bored me to tears."

• Like 1

Another factor which works in Myrna Loy's favour is that Bette Davis is already getting a 24-hour tribute during Summer Under The Stars in August. That might be a bit of Davis overkill, even for her most ardent fans.

If you did Bette Davis movies in chronological order, you wouldn't even get to 1935 in 24 hours.

• Like 1

Myrna Loy, Bette is getting a day in August.  There are many of her movies shown all through the year and they are frequently featured as an essential.

• Like 1

Myrna Loy, Bette is getting a day in August.  There are many of her movies shown all through the year and they are frequently featured as an essential.

I would agree with that. My vote is for Myrna Loy, too. They can air all six 'Thin Man' movies on one of the evenings, like near Christmas. That would certainly go over well with viewers.

TCM Backlot members have chosen Myrna Loy as SOTM in December 2016.

Bette-Davis-1982.jpg

Bette Davis isn't pleased, but she'll get her due with a 24-hour marathon of her films on August 21.

• Like 2

TCM Backlot members have chosen Myrna Loy as SOTM in December 2016.

I'm glad. All the ones I wanted have been chosen-- Edward G. Robinson, Hedy Lamarr and Myrna Loy. 

Wonder if they'll allow Backlot members to choose some Oscar related programming in February.

• Like 1

What films would you like to see included in TCM's December 2016 Myrna Loy retrospective?

Obviously, they'll do a whole night of Thin Man movies, probably during Christmas week. 

I sincerely doubt they'll go outside the TCM/Turner library of MGM and RKO films that Myrna did. But if they do, I'd like to see them choose THE RED PONY, which she did at Republic with Robert Mitchum and Louis Calhern. It's been a few years since TCM aired it, and it's such a great family film that it would work perfectly on the schedule in December.

• Like 1

Obviously, they'll do a whole night of Thin Man movies, probably during Christmas week. 

I sincerely doubt they'll go outside the TCM/Turner library of MGM and RKO films that Myrna did. But if they do, I'd like to see them choose THE RED PONY, which she did at Republic with Robert Mitchum and Louis Calhern. It's been a few years since TCM aired it, and it's such a great family film that it would work perfectly on the schedule in December.

Yes, of course they'll be airing a THIN MAN marathon around Christmas or New Year's Eve. And old TCM staples like LIBELED LADY, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES and MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE are sure to be included. I wouldn't be surprised if the programmers schedule Loy's last feature film, Sidney Lumet's JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT (1980).

I believe that TCM has access to ALL ABOUT EVE for at least one more airing, and that the programmers had that film ready to go if Backlot members had chosen Bette Davis. So I bet if the programmers go outside the TCM library at all, it will most likely be for 20th Century Fox films like CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN and/or THE RAINS CAME.

• Like 1

Yes, of course they'll be airing a THIN MAN marathon around Christmas or New Year's Eve. And old TCM staples like LIBELED LADY, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES and MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE are sure to be included. I wouldn't be surprised if the programmers schedule Loy's last feature film, Sidney Lumet's JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT (1980).

I believe that TCM has access to ALL ABOUT EVE for at least one more airing, and that the programmers had that film ready to go if Backlot members had chosen Bette Davis. So I bet if the programmers go outside the TCM library at all, it will most likely be for 20th Century Fox films like CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN and/or THE RAINS CAME.

Right...they'll pick THE RAINS CAME. And if they get a special deal on it, they can re-air it for the Oscar stuff in February. It was nominated for six Academy Awards.

ALL ABOUT EVE can be used for Oscar month, too.

I would like to see more of Myrna Loy's pre-code films.  I saw When Ladies Meet and thought it was very interesting.  I'm not so much interested in her silent films, except for perhaps the novelty of seeing Loy playing a vamp.  But, I'd like to see her pre-Thin Man output.  She worked at Warner Brothers for a few years before working at MGM where she made her biggest films.

• Like 2

I would like to see more of Myrna Loy's pre-code films.  I saw When Ladies Meet and thought it was very interesting.  I'm not so much interested in her silent films, except for perhaps the novelty of seeing Loy playing a vamp.  But, I'd like to see her pre-Thin Man output.  She worked at Warner Brothers for a few years before working at MGM where she made her biggest films.

A beautiful, versatile and classy lady, I would love to see a month's worth of Loy films, from the silents through the talkies, etc. I heartily agree.

• Like 2

Yes,  more Loy pre-code films on TCM would be great.   What I find interesting about them is that Loy doesn't always play a likeable character;  E.g.  Animal Kingdom.       After the Thin Man Loy mostly played the perfect partner.   

• Like 3

Yes,  more Loy pre-code films on TCM would be great.   What I find interesting about them is that Loy doesn't always play a likeable character;  E.g.  Animal Kingdom.       After the Thin Man Loy mostly played the perfect partner.

Her persona totally changed with THE THIN MAN, and she rarely looked back. She did do some exceptions, such as her man hungry trampin THE RAINS CAME.