Sign in to follow this  
Jillian13

(A Night To Remember)

17 posts in this topic

This has been on twice in like the last week or two. This film just leaves me cold. I know a lot of people on here prefer this to Cameron's Titanic but I think Cameron's film is superior. You don't get to know or care about any of the characters in A Night To Remember like you do with Jack and Rose in Titanic.

ALL the people in A Night To Remember are important, not just two of them.

WE are the people on the Titanic in A Night To Remember. Do we get off in time? I don't think I made it. I went down with the ship.

"I don't think I made it. I went down with the ship."

I like to think I would give up my place in the lifeboat too. I can't swim a lick, so at least it would be over quickly. I never made it through Cameron's version. My niece wouldn't stop going on and on and on about how wonderful a love story it was, so I made an early exit. I couldn't take it.

I do like A Night to Remember in comparison to the bits and pieces of Cameron's film. This may be a sorry reason for making a point of not seeing a film but I just couldn't bring myself to watch it after hearing Celine Dion's movie theme played to death on radio. Don't get me wrong, I liked the song - very much, in fact, but enough was enough already! I only saw the bits of Cameron's film once it was on satelite channels and honestly I don't think I could sit through from beginning to end. I think I've seen too many documentary films and programming to be interested in the love story aspect of the version. I do recall seeing a documentary made by Cameron where they visited the wreckage... I'd watch that again. Was interesting.

I found A Night to Remember a bit too emotionless and poorly structured. The first 15 -20 minutes is a poor set-up of the principle characters, and there were way too many 1950's sensibilities for me, always felt like 1958 more than 1912. The sinking sequence was quite well done.

Cameron's screenplay rips most of the technical scenes out a Night to Remember and all he did was pencil in a rather silly love triangle plot.

I'd rate both versions on a par. Stay clear of the Barbara Stanwyck version. That one really is waterlogged

Howdy, Brad--

'Jack' and 'Rose' are 'characters?' Gee, I never noticed.

Sorry, mate. Couldn't resist.

The Cameron film certainly has its merits -- chiefly the visual poetry and sense of spectacle. This is true of all of Cameron's films.

Unfortunately, the writing is just so limp. Not to mention totally lacking in sense of period. (No young woman of the Edwardian period, no matter how free-thinking is going to go around spitting off the side of the Largest Moving Object in the World, just because she has the hots for the poverty-stricken but comely Bohemian artist. Please.)

That said, though, the 1997 film is a BIG improvement over the lame Fox affair from 1953. Somehow, it just seems silly for a film to spend so much time focusing on the Stanwyck-Webb marital spat when roughly 1500 people are about to meet the end on the icy Atlantic.

I think this is one of the difficulties with trying to graft a fictional story onto the Titanic tragedy in a film. The magnitude of the disaster will invariably wind up dwarfing and trivializing the fiction.

Or, that's my theory anyhow. Obviously, those who have seen Cameron's film many MANY times and love each frame feel differently.

Cordiality to all,

Robert H.

"Nearer My God, to Thee--Especially during TCM Underground"

Message was edited by:

RobertEmmettHarron

I never got emotional when I watched Camron's version, the love story was sickning to me, and Rose raising her middle finger at that cop (or who ever he was), that was sickning as well. A Night To Remember had a great deal more realizm than Titanic. Jim Manklwich said that they had over 60 people from the acual titanic helping them along with the film, Camron had nothing except a corny love story and what he copied from the original.

I'm sorry, you have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by the love story in Titanic. There is nothing involving in Night......... You don't get to know or care about any of the characters. It's as dry and dull as history class. That's just me I guess, I like movies where I can get to know and care about the characters.

"It's as dry and dull as history class."

I loved history class! Then again, I'm dry and dull too... ;-)

Ha! From the old Python sketch, I'm "an appallingly dull fellow, unimaginative, timid, lacking in initiative, spineless, easily dominated, no sense of humor, tedious company, and irrepressively drab and awful." How else could I love history, math, "Father Goose", and "A Night to Remember"? :-)

Does anyone remember the Loretta Young movie of the same name? I rented it like 10 years ago at an independent movie store, but I can't find it anywhere since. Everytime the Titanic version comes on, I can't help but think about this one-- Brian Aherne was in it as well, and I think it's really hard to find a lot of his movies..

I prefer the British movie "A Night to Remember" because it was more factual and not full of sappy romance that involved Leo ( I liked him in "This Boys Life" with Robert DeNiro and Ellen Barkin Better). The newer version concentrated more on the love affair that was not factual but simply "Hollywood Fabrication". I must admit the special effects of the actual sinking were spectacular. By the way David McCallum was in a "Night To Remember" and he was famous as he starred in "The Great Escape" and also the popular TV series with Robert Vaughn "The Man From U.N.C.L.E......and Honor Blackman who was "**** Galore" ( Love that name!) in "Goldfinger" also starred in it! ............. Hey you edited out "****"? Maybe if I said PussyCat it will come up .... When Mia Farrow picked "Raging Bull" as one of her selections I heard the "F" word numerous times. They censor the boards but not the movies now? .....Real Stupid! TCM Web Administrator your a hypocrite and so is the Programmer for TCM. This does not make any sense to me.

Message was edited for a board member friend and toned down by:

Aftermath :)

Aftermath

I like "Night to Remember." I vastly prefer it to the 1953 "Titanic," and I never saw the Cameron version.

I think this movie is well constructed and gives you a feel for how the disaster affected the different types of people on the ship.

No emotions? What about when the father puts his family in the lifeboat and lies to them saying he will be okay, this is only a drill? What about when the ship's designer looks at the painting of NYC harbor, which his ship is never going to reach? I find those very powerful moments. I always tear up when the steward holds the little boy on deck, after all the lifeboats have gone, and tells him that things will be fine. What the hell else can he say? The understatement of such moments gives them power.

I think Roy (Ward) Baker, the director of this film has been unjustly neglected over the years. I like this film from his realistic era, and I think his horror films of the Seventies deserve far more attention.

You don't have to be sorry about anything, bradtexasranger. The first one was far more emotional to me, (which should prove to you that you're wrong about me having a heart of stone). And I cared a great deal about ALL the charictors in the first one, which was hard to do when you have to watch Jack and Rose jumping into cars and having sex.

I am sorry I implied you had a heart of stone. To each his own, I guess. I like a good cry at the movies as much as anyone, but I didn't shed a tear during this snoozefest, but bawled like a baby in Titanic. I'm just baffled how anyone could like Night better. The characters are just so much more real.