Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

Chuck & Buck

3 posts in this topic

A few years ago, a friend showed me a film called Chuck & Buck (2000). It made me so uncomfortable that at times I wanted to run screaming from the room. In the end, though, it's kind of a charming film.

Basically, after the death of his mother, Buck goes to visit Chuck, his boyhood friend, in another city. Buck is devastated to discover that Chuck, now with a female fiancé, no longer wants to play the games that Chuck and Buck played as boys.  

This disturbing, but in the end liberating, movie is sort of a cross between The Story of Adele H and Maurice. Along the way, it also says something about the liberating power of theater. But you have to get through some excruciating stuff to get to the catharsis.

chuckandbuck.jpg

A few years ago, a friend showed me a film called Chuck & Buck (2000). It made me so uncomfortable that at times I wanted to run screaming from the room. In the end, though, it's kind of a charming film.

LOL...that was my thought, too, when I watched it. It was controversially chosen as film of the year by Entertainment Weekly the year of the film's release. Like most people around the country, i had never heard of it, so when it arrived on disc, I rented it the week it came out. I was knocked to the floor by some of the bizarre, painful, awkward scenes. But by the end, I liked it too. Mike White is a singular talent, a very funny performer and writer. His dark-haired co-star, Chris Weitz, has gone on to a very successful writing & directing career. 

I wonder if the film will have the same effect on first time viewers now as it did back in 2000. So many of the shocking things said will seem perhaps tame or routine to audiences versed in indie films and TV shows like Girls or others that traffic in sexually frank awkwardness. 

• Like 1

Mike White comes across as creepy the recent movie "The D Train" deals with a similar situation