spence

Why no "Yankee Doodle Dandy" for the 4th this year?

26 posts in this topic

I always seem to recall that TCM annually aired 1942's musical-bio masterpiece "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (WB's) on the 4th of July, why not this year???

As most know it won *Academy (AMPAS) Awards for Best Actor-(*Cagney), Sound & Best Scoring of a musical picture, but *"Mrs. Miniver" (MGM) swept the majors instead

PLEASE LET US/ME KNOW WHY?

& "MY FATHER THANKS YOU, MY MOTHER THANKS YOU, MY SISTER THANKS YOU & I THANK YOU"

Yep, pretty much like stayton just told ya here, spence...

I-T-S-O-N-T-O-D-A-Y, spells "it's on today".

Get IT?! Ya gotta sing that like Jimmy and Joan sing "Harrigan" in that movie to really appreciate my little joke here, dude!

(...okay, okay...it wasn't that funny...never mind then)

;)

• Like 1

Getting back to the original subject, I'd rather see Alexander's Ragtime Band again, anyway.

• Like 1

Or why run West Side Story and The Music Man again since they just aired in prime time 11 days ago. Yet the holiday-appropriate 1776 gets buried at 1am Eastern time.

• Like 3

I always seem to recall that TCM annually aired 1942's musical-bio masterpiece "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (WB's) on the 4th of July, why not this year???

As most know it won *Academy (AMPAS) Awards for Best Actor-(*Cagney), Sound & Best Scoring of a musical picture, but *"Mrs. Miniver" (MGM) swept the majors instead

PLEASE LET US/ME KNOW WHY?

& "MY FATHER THANKS YOU, MY MOTHER THANKS YOU, MY SISTER THANKS YOU & I THANK YOU"

You're joking, right?

I always got a charge out of how Cagney dances through this movie( and just about ANY movie he danced in) with that 2X4 fastened to his back!  :D

I began to wonder if it inspired ROY ORBISON's stage presence, as he too, always seemed to be standing there with some board strapped to his back!

I recall JOHN BELUSHI parodying Roy on SNL by being done up in costume with either a wooden or steel pole strapped to his back, and at one point, falling down on stage, as Roy, and flailing about like a TURTLE turned upside down, yelling for help in getting up!  :D

Sepiatone

I doan like musicals. :huh:

Not liking Yankee Doodle Dandy is not only un-American it's anti- tap dancing.

I love the line where George M Cohan's wife tells him that his father could do a good buck and Wing when he was in his 60's. Now that's tap dancing!

Yep, pretty much like stayton just told ya here, spence...

I-T-S-O-N-T-O-D-A-Y, spells "it's on today".

Get IT?! Ya gotta sing that like Jimmy and Joan sing "Harrigan" in that movie to really appreciate my little joke here, dude!

(...okay, okay...it wasn't that funny...never mind then)

;)

You just know everything, Dargo!

Speaking of "doodles", do you have a recipe for Snickerdoodles?

I think they would be a very patriotic accompaniment to the usual 4th of July menus.

You just know everything, Dargo!

Speaking of "doodles", do you have a recipe for Snickerdoodles?

I think they would be a very patriotic accompaniment to the usual 4th of July menus.

Dargo makes Ken Jennings seem like an uninformed dolt.

Dargo makes Ken Jennings seem like an uninformed dolt.

Now if Ken Jennings looked like James Coburn he would give Dargo a run for his money though, Down.

Now if Ken Jennings looked like James Coburn he would give Dargo a run for his money though, Down.

You sure you don't mean Charles Coburn?

Actually you two, I DID once try out for Jeopardy when L.A. was still my home. This was about 25 years ago or so.

I took the written test with about 20 other people at their Culver City located Sony (formerly the MGM) studio, and along with a fellow Northwest Airlines employee.

After they graded the test, I and my fellow NWA employee Steve(this was his third try) were among the approximate half of those 20 who were asked to stay for a mock run-through of the game. They said they'd let us know later if we "made the cut".

Steve was notified about a week later to show up to appear on the show, and would finish a close second to a woman who had been the champion for about three or four games and was on a roll.

I, on the other hand, never heard back from them.

(...just always chalked this up to my "not being nerdy enough lookin'" for 'em...you should have seen Steve...the dude with his large black framed eyeglasses and bowl-cut hairstyle looked like if you looked up the word "Poindexter" in the dictionary, his picture would have been right next to it...I kid you not, well, except for the part I said about my "not being nerdy enough lookin' for 'em" anyway...not that I am "nerdy lookin'" at all, mind you!)

I doan like musicals. :huh:

Like we say about Singin'  in the Rain...you'll like THIS one.  

If the idea of watching Footlight Parade is too terrible an idea to watch James Cagney tap-dance (perfectly), this is just as good.  It's a musical from Michael "Casablanca" Curtiz, how "unmanly" could that be?

Mind you, if you DO want to watch Footlight Parade, that's not a bad idea either.  That one also has a big flag-waving salute to FDR, too.

Actually you two, I DID once try out for Jeopardy when L.A. was still my home. This was about 25 years ago or so.

I took the written test with about 20 other people at their Culver City located Sony (formerly the MGM) studio, and along with a fellow Northwest Airlines employee.

After they graded the test, I and my fellow NWA employee Steve(this was his third try) were among the approximate half of those 20 who were asked to stay for a mock run-through of the game. They said they'd let us know later if we "made the cut".

Steve was notified about a week later to show up to appear on the show, and would finish a close second to a woman who had been the champion for about three or four games and was on a roll.

I, on the other hand, never heard back from them.

(...just always chalked this up to my "not being nerdy enough lookin'" for 'em...you should have seen Steve...the dude with his large black framed eyeglasses and bowl-cut hairstyle looked like if you looked up the word "Poindexter" in the dictionary, his picture would have been right next to it...I kid you not, well, except for the part I said about my "not being nerdy enough lookin' for 'em" anyway...not that I am "nerdy lookin'" at all, mind you!)

Actually, my uncle, who was very smart, was rejected because he had a personality like a dishrag. They worded it a bit more diplomatically.

Actually, my uncle, who was very smart, was rejected because he had a personality like a dishrag. They worded it a bit more diplomatically.

Well DGF, to paraphrase what little Mikey says to Suzy's mother in that early-60s Bayer Aspirin for Children television commercial...

"Nerds are like that. Yeah they are." 

(...well okay...many of 'em anyway)

;)

Well DGF, to paraphrase what little Mikey says to Suzy's mother in that early-60s Bayer Aspirin for Children television commercial...

"Nerds are like that. Yeah they are." 

(...well okay...many of 'em anyway)

;)

He was an uncle by marriage. There are no dishrag genes in my family's gene pool.

He was an uncle by marriage. There are no dishrag genes in my family's gene pool.

Oh, okay. BUT, now this might beg the question:

Was there ever anybody IN your family's gene pool inclined to expand upon ideas, concepts and opinions beyond a few short and succinct comments?

(...or are your family reunions pretty much as I envision 'em...simple quiet little affairs devoid of any verbosity) ;)

LOL