Sign in to follow this  
princessa

Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy

18 posts in this topic

They're shown rather frequently on TCM. I believe last winter they devoted an entire month to the team. Bitter Sweet will be shown on November 4, 2006...

I watched 2 Jeanette MacDonald films last night. I had recorded them off of TCM in 2006. The first film, BITTERSWEET, stars MacDonald as a well-to-do young woman who marries her voice teacher, played by Eddy. He is a budding composer and they move to his hometown of Vienna, Austria. The screenplay was based on a play by Noel Coward. According to Robert Osborne, Coward didn't like the screen adaptation, but the film did very well at the box office.

The most interesting thing about BITTERSWEET was the appearance of George Sanders as an Austrian military man who puts the moves on Jeanette! He was the quintessential cad, as always. He looked quite dashing in uniform!

MacDonald looks gorgeous in the film--the technicolor shows off her blue eyes and red hair. In one scene, she wears a peach silk gown that makes her skin look glowing. BUT, at the end of the film, she is performing in an opera and is wearing a perfectly hideous giant headdress, beaded necklace and hoop-skirted gown. The whole number has costumes and settings in cream and chocolate brown, which is interesting, but Jeanette's costume is strange.

I next watched SMILIN' THROUGH, with MacDonald and her real-life husband, Gene Raymond. Again, MacDonald looks radiant in technicolor. It's not really a musical, in that only MacDonald sings. Good film, although Raymond and MacDonald don't really have much chemistry onscreen. Her scenes with Brian Aherne are better.

Has anyone else seen these films?

Sandy K

Dear Sandy:

Yep, have seen them both and will completely agree with your assessment of each. The best MacDonald Eddy collaborations are Naughty Marietta, Rose Marie and Maytime. If you haven't seen any of these I highly recommend them. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

I also think Jeanette radiates exuberant sexuality with Maurice Chevalier in MGM's The Merry Widow (minus Eddy). Eddy and Rise Stevens are quite engaging in MGM's The Chocolate Soldier, too.

Other Eddy/MacDonald films worth the watch: New Moon and Girl of the Golden West.

yup NAUGHTY MARIETTA and ROSE-MARIE are my faves....

Jeanette MacDonald is also excellent in THE FIREFLY with Allan Jones and Warren William.

Sandy - in the film Smiling Through there is a song Miss MacDonald sings while sitting in a rowboat which was my late mom's favorite "Just a Little Love, A Little Kiss" it's now mine and I have it recorded and play it every morning.....

Yes, I completely agree, NZ--MacDonald and Chevalier are sizzling together in *The Merry Widow*.

I also liked Nelson Eddy and Rise Stevens in *The Chocolate Soldier*. I guess that she was more of an opera star and that's why she didn't make more films? Either way, I found her to be lovely in voice and appearance. I wonder why MacDonald didn't make this film with Eddy?

I watched several of the MacDonald-Eddy films when they were first released on VHS, but I really can't remember which ones that I saw! I have *New Moon* recorded on dvd from TCM-I'll have to check that one out.

Sandy K

Message was edited by: sandykaypax

Message was edited by: sandykaypax

Tonight, Monday, 9:30 PM Merry Widow, The (1934) A prince from a small kingdom courts a wealthy widow to keep her money in the country. Cast: Maurice Chevalier, Jeanette MacDonald, Una Merkel. Dir: Ernst Lubitsch. BW-99 mins, TV-PG, CC

You know, I've been bugging Warner Home Video for some time with letters about releasing the McDonald/Eddy films to DVD in one or two box sets. The response I generally receive is that there's much restoration work to be done on these titles to make them ready for DVD and as a result they keep getting pushed back further and further on Warner's list of things to do.

In all fairness to WB - they have not only their own catalogue of classic films to restore, but also the entire MGM, RKO and David O. Selznick catalogues. That's a lot of movies! Where to begin and what to preserve - especially when so many of the 20th century's early filmic masterworks are in great danger of decomposition.

Voice your opinion and make your comments about McDonald/Eddy known either in writing or email at the address provided below.

Aside: my personal advice would be that you 'write' a letter to George Feltenstein c/o the address below. I always seem to get more action that way.

Warner Home Video

4000 Warner Blvd.

Burbank, CA 91522

818-954-6000

Web site: http://www.warnervideo.com

DVD/Video Help: http://www2.warnerbros

OK. I must start out by saying I was never a fan of either Nelson Eddy or Jeanette MacDonald. I love Willie the Opera Singing Whale, but that's about it. I had never seen any of the films from their heydey, just clips, and I had seen some of their movies without each other. Maybe a long time ago I saw one of their later movies, but all in all, I never really got it.

About a month ago, I was looking something up on the computer and found a story about Eddy/ MacDonald that you probably all know- that they continued a "secret" affair for years, that they were never able to be together, and that they both had pretty unhappy marriages. I read with fascination, but then chalked it up as just another scandal mongering author trying to make a buck. After all, everybody knows they hated each other....

The story stuck in my mind, and the other day, I turned on *Rose Marie*, a movie I had never seen before. I stayed to watch out of curiosity, but, to my amazement, discovered an emotional, richly beautiful movie with the two in absolutely top form. The love between them was palpable, and together they created a cinema magic that has rarely been captured on film. The movie itself is only an excuse to watch them pour out their hearts to each other. Their chemistry was electric, and I think neither was as good in other movies as they were together. If they weren't in love with each other, then they were the two greatest actors in the world.

Eddy, whose acting is generally a little stiff and uncomfortable, showed so much love and emotion that I got completely choked up. The yearning that came through on the screen was so bittersweet and true that I was enthralled. MacDonald was never better- the character encompassed all her strengths- her strong will and smarts, and her vulnerable feminine side. They were simply .... perfect.

Thanks TCM, now I get it.

• Like 1

I will definitely watch it- and Naughty Marietta as well.

The story of their lives touched me- how one wrong decision could just devastate two lives so much.... I went back and read everything about them I could find. Apparently the story of their love is substantiated by letters, Jeanette's own admission to her sister, and many crew personnel. I couldn't stop thinking about how it was hidden for years and years. I guess all those movie fans couldn't be wrong- they all knew that Nelson and Jeanette were in love. The camera doesn't lie.

On 6/20/2008 at 8:14 AM, JackFavell said:

I will definitely watch it- and Naughty Marietta as well.

The story of their lives touched me- how one wrong decision could just devastate two lives so much.... I went back and read everything about them I could find. Apparently the story of their love is substantiated by letters, Jeanette's own admission to her sister, and many crew personnel. I couldn't stop thinking about how it was hidden for years and years. I guess all those movie fans couldn't be wrong- they all knew that Nelson and Jeanette were in love. The camera doesn't lie.

I could tell also that Janette and Nelson's love was real, their love and passion on the screen looked beyond where I could just say that they're brilliant actors. It's the same with the lovely Ruby Keeler, I could always tell the real and genuine love she had in her heart too. And, the wonderful Janette McDonald had a passion that could not be faked on screen. I knew before I even read it that Janette and Nelson were really in love.

Their most wonderful and beautiful films was Naughty Marrietta, her opera singing, even on the boat sailing away when her singing would've given her presence away since she was supposed to be in disguise at that point in the film, I still completely forgive that in this case since her singing was heavenly.

In Maytime, from her first two songs at her palace performance to her and Nelson at the end of the film with their spirits singing, since Janette's character had just passed away peacefully and was reunited with Nelson's spirit, who was shot and killed earlier in the film, the whole scene was a tearjerker. I'm glad I'm not an athiest because you just can't feel the same level of magic and wonder in scenes like that if you are

In Rose Marie, their song Indian love call was magical, amazing.

In Love me tonight, Janette singing the title song was so beautiful

I still haven't seen but want to see Bittersweet, San Francisco, and The firefly.

• Like 1

Nelson Eddy is hilarious on the old Chase & Sanborn Hour with Bergen & McCarthy. Surprisingly glib and self-deprecating.

p.s. as for what Warner Bros should restore and preserve--obviously you salvage the worst decomposing nitrate first.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:17 AM, Ruby jewel said:

I could tell also that Janette and Nelson's love was real, their love and passion on the screen looked beyond where I could just say that they're brilliant actors. It's the same with the lovely Ruby Keeler, I could always tell the real and genuine love she had in her heart too. And, the wonderful Janette McDonald had a passion that could not be faked on screen. I knew before I even read it that Janette and Nelson were really in love.

Their most wonderful and beautiful films was Naughty Marrietta, her opera singing, even on the boat sailing away when her singing would've given her presence away since she was supposed to be in disguise at that point in the film, I still completely forgive that in this case since her singing was heavenly.

In Maytime, from her first two songs at her palace performance to her and Nelson at the end of the film with their spirits singing, since Janette's character had just passed away peacefully and was reunited with Nelson's spirit, who was shot and killed earlier in the film, the whole scene was a tearjerker. I'm glad I'm not an athiest because you just can't feel the same level of magic and wonder in scenes like that if you are

In Rose Marie, their song Indian love call was magical, amazing.

In Love me tonight, Janette singing the title song was so beautiful

I still haven't seen but want to see Bittersweet, San Francisco, and The firefly.

I'm an old Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy fan from the late shows.

A few years back on YouTube,  I saw her on the old " This Is Your Life " TV show with Ralph Edwards. She was surprised as every guest is and for the most part she was accompanied by her husband, actor Gene Raymond throughout the show.

But when Nelson Eddy came out, you could see something integral just rise up in her that was more than just surprise. And her husband seemed slightly irritated.

As big a fan as I've been for decades, I hadn't realized before that they were really in love with each other.

And when you see the two men together, it's amazing how much they resemble each other.

I don't know what else to say except that their music and their films made so many people happy that

it was a shame they could not have been happy together.