Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Dressing at Cross Purposes

39 posts in this topic

Btw, my picks for this topics would be...

Good or passable in drag...Jared Leto in DALLAS BUYERS CLUB...

rayon.jpg

And then pretty much in the category of "ya can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"...Jack Benny...

18e687933fbd556419dec342e5b866ed.jpg

(...and contrary to what the gentleman on the right here always said..."Put Benny in a dress and you can take him anywhere") 

• Like 1

Btw, my picks for this topics would be...

Good or passable in drag...Jared Leto in DALLAS BUYERS CLUB...

rayon.jpg

And then pretty much in the category of "ya can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"...Jack Benny...

18e687933fbd556419dec342e5b866ed.jpg

(...and contrary what the gentleman on the right here always said..."Put Benny in a dress and you can take him anywhere") 

Hmmm, if Margot Kidder and Joanne Pflug had a baby it would look pretty much like that lady.

Pretty soon the boys will look better than the girls, and all the women will have to become Amazons and cut a you-know-what off and declare men unnecessary.

I mean, what woman wants to date a guy who looks like their sister?

Sorry, Snookums!

Being the gossip **** and movie magazine addict I am, I knew that Ben was married to Janice.

Be proud that you were unaware of this connection and have better things to do with your time than read things like "Movie Star Annual for 1958".

OMG, they bleeped my word, and it was only...m*o*n*g*e*r"?

What could be bad about that word, pray tell?

I might enjoy that magazine. I know 1958 as I was breathing at that time.

I'm surprised the autosenselessor (wonderly coinage) didn't zap "pray." It might have beem suspicious of what we were praying for.

I knew Jen Eticks. We went to different schools together.

• Like 1

Hmmm, if Margot Kidder and Joanne Pflug had a baby it would look pretty much like that lady.

Pretty soon the boys will look better than the girls, and all the women will have to become Amazons and cut a you-know-what off and declare men unnecessary.

I mean, what woman wants to date a guy who looks like their sister?

Good take on Jared's look there, CG.

So, would this (highlighted section of your post) still hold true for you if the the guy in question was your boy Jackie Coogan here???...

$(KGrHqNHJBEE63St9KUuBO1D!dTjpg~~60_35.J

(...I mean, I know how Jackie normally floats your boat and all) ;)

LOL

• Like 1

I think women are getting mighty tired of men dressing up like them and looking better in the make-up and clothing, Dargo.

Very annoying to be sure. Now I totally understand why Dolores Fuller was so upset when she came home and found her pink angora sweater stretched all out of shape.

I mean, what is the world coming to?

I'm going to get in trouble for this Department

If women would drop the twiggy look and develop some curves then perhaps no need for them "getting mighty tired of men dressing up like them." Also, my darlings, drop the stringy hair, the macha look, get a perm, look like Doris in ML, don't be afraid of being perceived as "sweet." What happened to good and traditional femininity.

;)

I might enjoy that magazine. I know 1958 as I was breathing at that time.

I'm surprised the autosenselessor (wonderly coinage) didn't zap "pray." It might have beem suspicious of what we were praying for.

I knew Jen Eticks. We went to different schools together.

Jen used to date Jerry Atricks occasionally.

Jen used to date Jerry Atricks occasionally.

I'm not surprised. Jerry Atricks would probably need a good Jen Eticks.

I'm going to get in trouble for this Department

If women would drop the twiggy look and develop some curves then perhaps no need for them "getting mighty tired of men dressing up like them." Also, my darlings, drop the stringy hair, the macha look, get a perm, look like Doris in ML, don't be afraid of being perceived as "sweet." What happened to good and traditional femininity.

;)

OMG, I doubt women would want me as their spokesperson, Laffite but you make some good points though not all perms are created equal.

I will say that some plastic surgery has made women look very strange to my eyes. All one need do is watch that show on "E" called "Botched" to see the results of ultra body dysmorphic dysfunction in full regalia.

Looking at the old movies, I must say that the women who were in them, were truly beautiful and glamourous, with minor alterations to their normal looks, Okay, so Margarita Cansino might have had some electrolysis on her hairline and a few got their teeth fixed but they didn't have plastic surgery on their bodies that made them look all out of kilter with normalcy in bodily proportions.

Sorry all, I blame Laffite for getting me upset and forcing me to make my post too long!

fbe2bcfd-dd79-4000-af8b-9cb0a0a3469d_zps

The image of Jack Benny in drag, for his role in Charley’s Aunt (1951), reminds me that many of silent film’s biggest comedians often found themselves in predicaments requiring slightly more feminine attire. Roscoe “Fatty" Arbuckle dressed in women's clothing in many scenarios, and as much as I love Buster, frills and lace was probably not his best look. Charlie Chaplin dressed as a woman in a Keystone Comedy, but never after leaving the studio, however, his brother Syd had a role in Charley’s Aunt (1925), which required him to pass as a woman throughout most of the film.

6089c3b0-5b63-4aec-9db5-b36a704524f7_zps

I chose this film because, one, it is slightly more obscure than some, and two, can you imagine a homelier pair of ladies than this duo. The image is from the film Ski Party (1965) and if I indulge in a bit of bad punning, could be called Bosom Buddies meets Some Like It Cold (with a serious case of HELP! (1965) envy). The beach blanket bingo set travels to a ski resort, for a bit of distraction, where Frankie Avalon and Dwayne Hickman find themselves trying to pass as co-eds with five o’clock shadow.

cfa63d31-ab50-4caa-a200-1f7859778600_zps

Eddie Izzard is an actor and comedian who takes his sartorial cues from the women’s line, and appears in feminine attire both onstage and in his personal life. He can be seen as Charlie Chaplin in The Cat’s Meow (2001) and as a soldier passing for a woman in the World War II themed film All The Queen’s Men (2001), which, although I haven’t seen this one, seems more plausible in theory than in execution.

fbfbdec9-4cce-4338-9ca3-8c21c1f65b64_zps

My choice for loveliest lady presented by an actor would have to been Cillian Murphy. He is, without question, a beautiful man, which makes it easier to believe him as a beautiful woman. He has adopted feminine attire in two films, Breakfast On Pluto (2002) and Peacock (2010) and, well, the photograph speaks for itself.

• Like 1

Don't know if the following counts here as the person was actually transgender, however the actor born as James Slattery but known as "Candy Darling" and one of Andy Warhol's proteges, not only had a bit part in the mainstream film KLUTE, but also starred in a couple of Warhol's films before dying of cancer at age 29.

And I would say Candy wasn't too hard on the eyes...

candydarlingbday.jpg

• Like 1

Funny thing, Dargo, Candy Darling has more natural glamour than, say, Jayne Mansfield or Marilyn Monroe late in their respective careers.

Funny thing, Dargo, Candy Darling has more natural glamour than, say, Jayne Mansfield or Marilyn Monroe late in their respective careers.

You might have a point there, WG.

(...Candy sure looks pretty glamorous in that picture there, anyway)