Sign in to follow this  
bobhopefan1940

[b]It's That Time Of Year...[/b] (Your Top 5 Holiday Favorites)

189 posts in this topic

Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth is one of my favorites. Always brings tears to my eyes. Of course, I never get tired of Charlie Brown Christmas. The message never gets old and only gets more relevant as time goes by.

> Is there REALLY a sequel to "It's a wonderful Life?".

> Or are you pulling our leg?

>

> Mary

Pull your leg? We haven't even been introduced yet! :) And Brad you are a "CHOWDERHEAD" ;)

My favorites:

#1- A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim... although my wife and daughter prefer other versions - Reginald Owen for my wife and Albert Finney for my daughter. As a family, we love to watch A Christmas Story.

#2- The Bob Hope Christmas Specials were my favorites. The piece of home he brought to the servicemen stationed far from their families was truly the greatest gift any of them could hope for. I do enjoy A Charlie Brown Christmas and Boris Karloff's wonderful telling of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

#3- My favorite Christmas tradition was Christmas Eve open house where all of my Mom's family would come to our house and spend the evening reminiscing about Christmases past. Also, we would always put up our tree 2 Sundays before Christmas and take it down on New Year's Day. Some years it would be up almost 3 weeks and some just barely over 2. Now, with the advent of the artificial tree, some go up almost right after Halloween! :0

#4- The Hallelujah Chorus by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir will always be my favorite sing-along on the radio. I learned it by rote in high school choir 38 years ago and still can hit most of the bass notes (although I can't hold them as long.)

#5- Christmas was never much to me about the gifts. I enjoyed receiving and giving gifts, but none stand out as super special. I can relate to Ralphie and Randy looking at the socks that they just unwrapped and tossing them over their shoulders to get at the better gifts. Socks ? What kind of a present is that to give a kid? :)

CharlieT said:

I can relate to Ralphie and Randy looking at the socks that they just unwrapped and tossing them over their shoulders to get at the better gifts. Socks ? What kind of a present is that to give a kid?

Ha ha... My grandmother would always give me a watch from the bank, lol! I remember being so angry as a child... Eh, now I just wished she were still around I'd gladly except it...

CharlieT continued:

The Bob Hope Christmas Specials were my favorites. The piece of home he brought to the servicemen stationed far from their families was truly the greatest gift any of them could hope for.

I never got the opportunity to see Bob Hope on television in actual time... I didn't even know he existed. I enjoy watching back clips of him dvd, though; I love Bob> just in case some of you are wondering!

I love reading all these entries... ;)

> My favorites:

>

> #1- A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim...

> As a family, we love to watch A

> Christmas Story.

Hey Charlie T, go back and check my two favorite Christmas movies! You have some serious trouble because you picked the "Exact Two" that I did! We could get a special rate if we both sign up at the same time for "Group Therapy" ;)

1. Favorite Holiday Film--I guess I would probably have to go with "A Christmas Story" because it always manages to make me greatly lament the fact that being an adult during the holidays is significantly less fun than being a child during them. Another film that fills me with festive happiness is "The Thin Man" which my father and I watch every Christmas Eve since the movie takes place during the holidays.

2. Favorite Holiday TV Special--"How the Grinch Stole Christmas." It's a yuletide tale of good vs. evil set within a bizarre but delightful community of zany characters. AND it's narrated by Boris Karloff. What more could one ask for?

3. Favorite Holiday Tradition--I know this sounds cheesy since this is a TCM message board and all, but my favorite thing to do during the holidays is to curl up in the living room with my parents and watch old movies. For some reason, the Marx Brothers movies always seem just a little bit better when I'm watching them with my Papa, sitting near a fully-lit Christmas tree.

4. Favorite Holiday Radio Song--I really like the Ella Fitzgerald Christmas album. I like my Christmas music peppy and snazzy.

5. Favorite Gift--I could never pick out an all-time favorite gift. I'm always touched whenever I receive anything.

> > Aftermath:

> >

> > The fact that "It's A Wonderful Life" could not

> > happen in this world is part of its charm. The

> chance

> > that it might happen is why people love it.

> >

> > Chris

>

> And if you pull my left leg you'll hear "Jingle

> Bells" :)

And here I thought I was being eloquent. What happens if I pull your right leg? Nevertheless I will not pull your finger. :)

> > > Aftermath:

> > >

> > > The fact that "It's A Wonderful Life" could not

> > > happen in this world is part of its charm. The

> > chance

> > > that it might happen is why people love it.

> > >

> > > Chris

> >

> > And if you pull my left leg you'll hear "Jingle

> > Bells" :)

>

>

> And here I thought I was being eloquent. What happens

> if I pull your right leg? Nevertheless I will not

> pull your finger. :)

LOL :)

Thanks for that little insight into "snapperhead"s" personality. LOL I have been called naive before, so I will chalk my believing that story to that. Good one snapperhead.

As I am newly 40 years old, there is seems to be alot of movies that I have missed somewhere. So, I fell for that one, though it didn't SOUND like a rela movie title. HAHAHA

yanknrebel

Mary

spitgrrl said:

3. Favorite Holiday Tradition--I know this sounds cheesy since this is a TCM message board and all, but my favorite thing to do during the holidays is to curl up in the living room with my parents and watch old movies. For some reason, the Marx Brothers movies always seem just a little bit better when I'm watching them with my Papa, sitting near a fully-lit Christmas tree.

Welcome to the boards, spitgrrl! Beware of the "snapperhead," he has a knack for flaring tempers! ;)

Sounds like a wonderful family tradition to me... My mom wouldn't watch marx bros. for the life of her, but I caught her laughing to death during At The Circus the other day so ha!

> Thanks for that little insight into "snapperhead"s"

> personality. LOL I have been called naive before, so

> I will chalk my believing that story to that. Good

> one snapperhead.

>

> As I am newly 40 years old, there is seems to be

> alot of movies that I have missed somewhere. So, I

> fell for that one, though it didn't SOUND like a rela

> movie title. HAHAHA

>

> yanknrebel

> Mary

You're welcome. Welcome to the board. I wouldn't call you naive for that, there have been stranger ideas for sequels. Like The Hustler sequel decades later. It's like why bother? :-)

You mean you haven't heard of The Eleventh Commandment or Ben Hur - The Chariot Rematch?.......................LOL

#1. Favorite Holiday Film -

The Bishop’s Wife. My number one favorite Christmas film. Loretta Young, Cary Grant, and David Niven at their very best! It is a joy to watch. To be honest with you, I have been know to get out my VHS copy and watch this film whenever I need a little Christmas in my life. It holds a special place in my heart.

Remember the Night starting from the part when Fred MacMurray arrives home for the holidays with Barbara Stanwyck in tow. From that point it evokes the warmth of the season.

It’s A Wonderful Life because of the message of the film. That no man’s life is insignificant.

White Christmas because of Rosemary Clooney. Her rendition of Count Your Blessings always makes me think of my mother because it was her favorite song. I always love it when, at the end, those huge barn doors are open to reveal that snow has finally fallen for Christmas.

Miracle On 34th Street. It encompasses the entire season along with the message that “faith is believing when common sense tells you not too.”

#2. Favorite Holiday Television Special -

The House Without A Christmas Tree. I am thankful to have this sentimental tale on tape because it hasn’t been aired in years.

A Charlie Brown Christmas. The holidays would not be the same to me without the Peanuts Gang.

The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting. Being a NY’er this annul event has been a part of my life since childhood. To this day, I am still filled with glee when that mammoth tree is shinning in all its glory!

The Perry Como Christmas Specials. I have fond memories of being gathered around our old Magnavox Television set ushering in the season with Mr. Como.

#3. Favorite Holiday Tradition -

Spending Christmas Eve with my family. Being of Italian decent this night was celebrated more then Christmas Day. My parents, brother, and I along with my Aunts, Uncle's and Cousins, would gather at my Grandmother's house and feast on a dinner consisting of 13 fish dishes. The night was full of laughter and most of all love. We would all go to Midnight Mass and then return to Nonie's house to open presents.

My once large family as dwindled down over the years. Nonie's gone and family members have scattered but my husband and I still keep the Christmas Eve Dinner tradition alive for our children.

#4.Favorite Holiday Radio Song -

Nat King Cole’s rendition of The Christmas Song. The entire season is summed up in those beautiful, simple, lyrics.

#5. Favorite Gift

Being able to share another holiday season with my family and friends. Being healthy and together is the greatest gift I could ever receive.

Thanks bcf1940 for bringing back memories of Christmas Past. 8^)

MovieGal53

My pleasure, moviegal53! Thank you for that wonderful and insightful post!

And I love It's A Wonderful Life as well. Though some may think it quite fantasical, it's message is nothing but. This was the first Christmas film I saw and it remains to be so memorable for me. I don't care what what's his name said... ;)

bcf1940, thank YOU for the kind words about my post. Now, in regard to what's his name, I bet he is really Charlie Brown in disguise. Hey, lets take him with us to buy a tree for the Christmas pagent! Anyone for a rousing chorus of "Hark the Herald Angels Sing?" 8^D

MovieGal53

aftermath posted:

> My favorites:

>

> #1- A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim...

> As a family, we love to watch A

> Christmas Story.

Hey Charlie T, go back and check my two favorite Christmas movies! You have some serious trouble because you picked the "Exact Two" that I did! We could get a special rate if we both sign up at the same time for "Group Therapy"

Yeah, but I just watch them for all of the sex and violence. :D

All of our "short needle" trees looked like that when I was a kid. Then, finally, someone talked Mom into trying a "long needle" tree and we never went back. Of course, once you got the decorations on, they were beautiful regardless of needle length.

here in north carolina most people use the "furry" needle kind... what do you call it... they smell so nice! we've never gotten any other kind. it's like a blue spruce... or something. i'll find a picture of it on here eventially.

That's why my family never got another kind... because of the smell. I love to decorate the Christmas tree. My family have all these old ornaments>> like paper ornaments and ceramics. Nothing too uniform or fancy. When we get done with the tree it just looks like alot of something piled on it! lol... but I wouldn't have it any other way... ;)

needles.jpg

When I was a kid, we had two strings of lights to put on the tree. One was a string of 6 and the other was a string of 7. If one went out in the 7 string, the whole string went out and you had to search for the offending bulb. Now, our 6.5 foot artificial holds something like 300 lights. The ornaments we used when I was a kid were ones that Mom and Dad got from Grandma and Grandpa. Some of the glass ones had little pieces broken off, but they made it on to the tree anyway. When I was a senior in high school, I talked my parents into buying a complete artificial package that included lights and ornaments to put on a simple 6 footer. Of course, every year for the next 11, I had to go to their house to put it up for them. I didn't mind a bit.

That looks like one of them Balsams. The one where all of the needles fall out. (According to the Holy Word of the Parker Family.) ;)