Sign in to follow this  
hepclassic

Films That Make You Feel Safe

4 posts in this topic

This post has less to do with LGBTQ presence in cinema, let alone respectful presentation. 

It has more to do with films you go to when you need to feel safe. This is in this board because we have a reason, more than one, to run to films not to escape, but to feel safe in our expression. To feel safe in our being. To be the flashlight in the closet and to be the first light when we leave it. 

A film that makes me feel safe with my self, well, let me list two: 

1. Funny Girl (1968) 

maxresdefault.jpg

There is something about this story that just relates and makes me feel safe. Maybe it's Barbra Streisand's divine voice. Maybe its the way she gets her character so well. Maybe its the time-honored score. Maybe it's about the story of a woman who is not favored to get anything good out of life because she's unconventional, but she finds her niche in entertainment, and she finds a man who loves her for her (not revealing spoilers). I just feel safe when I watch this. 

2. Women in Love (1969)

Women-in-Love-inside.jpg

Ken Russell's masterpiece film interpretation of the D.H. Lawrence novel describing Lawrence's ideal sexual reality- two couples, each sharing a lover between them. Maybe its because Russell is unabashedly sexual without compromising film as an art form. Maybe its Alan Bates' masterful body on display. Maybe its Glenda Jackson's breadth displayed prominently and beautifully as a woman who knows that she wants and refuses traditional gender roles without compromising herself.  

• Like 1

Interesting...films that make me feel safe don't always challenge me to think in new ways. And when you get down to it, many motion pictures are not 'safe' at all..they're designed to do just the opposite-- to take viewers right out of their comfort zones. 

Interesting...films that make me feel safe don't always challenge me to think in new ways. And when you get down to it, many motion pictures are not 'safe' at all..they're designed to do just the opposite-- to take viewers right out of their comfort zones. 

True, but there is a draw to films based on how they made you feel. 

I agree there are films that are like comfort food- specially if we crave a happy ending .  Ken Russell's " Women in Love" works on so many levels, erotic, intellectual and just plain cinematic eye candy

• Like 2