LonesomePolecat

First Movie SONG That Comes to Mind

3,108 posts in this topic

Here's Judy Garland singing It's Love I'm After during half time at the big game in Pigskin Parade:

Next:  a song sung while being filmed or in a movie within the movie

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Star-- Just the other night I did a comparison between this song and "Dear Mr. Gable " to better understand what Roger Eden's did for her.)

 

" Josephine " sung by Janis Paige  in Silk Stockings

 

Next: A song introduced in a movie that became a popular standard

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"You're Just too Marvelous for Words" from READY, WILLING AND ABLE

 

next

song that mentions a President's name

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 "Maybe I'll Come Back"--Judy's closing number for her TV show from "Life with Judy Garland"

" I will come back when the sun refuses to shine"

 And President Coolidge is a cousin of mine"

 

Next: A song that a president/ presidential candidate used in his/her campaign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"High Hopes" used by candidate John Fitzgerald Kennedy in his 1960 presidential campaign

Next: a song sung by the two female leads in the Broadway original production of "Guys and Dolls" but omitted from the abominable movie version of one of the greatest Broadway musicals. Also, two other great songs were also omitted from the movie - Extra points if you can name either one or both. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Marry the Man Today ", plus you mentioned "I've Never Been in Love Before" and "Bushel and a Peck" :) (I hate that movie too--why didn't they follow the play script and  cast Deano as Sky?)

 

next

song sung by Deano, without Jerry

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LonesomePolecat said:

"Marry the Man Today ", plus you mentioned "I've Never Been in Love Before" and "Bushel and a Peck" :) (I hate that movie too--why didn't they follow the play script and  cast Deano as Sky?)

 

next

song sung by Deano, without Jerry

 That's Amore

 

Next: A truly Unforgettable film score

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

 That's Amore

 

Next: A truly Unforgettable film score

 

 

Erich Wolfgang Korngold's score to 1938's "The Adventures of Robin Hood" makes my heart soar.  It's my personal favorite.

Next: song favorite used for performing the consummate soft shoe dance number

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

( Marsha, I have the "Robin Hood" DVD where you can turn off the dialogue and just listen to the music and look at the screen. " Robin Hood" really works as a silent movie, believe it or not, even without the closed captioning.)

 

" Tea for Two" by Vincent Youmans and Irving Caesar from No No Nanette is the top soft shoe number.

 

Next: A song that is a perfect for a rhythmic rousing tap number. ( aside from " I Got Rhythm ")

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Begin the Beguine" tap dance routine performed by Fred Astaire & Eleanor Powell in "Broadway Melody of 1940" just keeps on building, and building and is perfectly sublime tap dancing.

 

Next:  A Cole Porter song which seems just to be added to a Fred & Ginger movie because it's Cole Porter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing beats the score of THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN :)

 

next

great score from a sci fi or fantasy type film

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite song from Bacharach's LOST HORIZON The Musical: "THe List of Things I Will Not Miss"

 

 

next

Your favorite Rodgers and Hart tune

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Falling In Love With Love sung by Andy Williams-- and in the movie , The Boys from Syracuse by Allan Jones

 

Next: A song Fred Astaire performs, which was not specifically written for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Shakin' The Blues Away - Ann Miller, Easter Parade

great score from a Western

lavenderblue, Shakin' The Blues Away by Irving Berlin is a good answer, but I was specifically asking for a Cole Porter song added to a Fred & Ginger movie because it's Cole Porter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MarshaKatz said:

lavenderblue, Shakin' The Blues Away by Irving Berlin is a good answer, but I was specifically asking for a Cole Porter song added to a Fred & Ginger movie because it's Cole Porter.

Marsha --I don't know of any Fred and Ginger movie like you requested.

They perform  " Night and Day in " The  Gay Divorcée because it was the original song that was in the Broadway show. So when they bought the Broadway show they bought that song, so it wasn't added on. It's just that the other songs from the show were dropped.

Maybe you're thinking of a different song?

(BTW-- To add to the confusion, Lav was answering the same question that you answered--about the rousing tap-dancing number. Then Polecat answered her question.)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

 Falling In Love With Love sung by Andy Williams-- and in the movie , The Boys from Syracuse by Allan Jones

 

Next: A song Fred Astaire performs, which was not specifically written for him

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Marsha --I don't know of any Fred and Ginger movie like you requested.

They perform  " Night and Day in " The  Gay Divorcée because it was the original song that was in the Broadway show. So when they bought the Broadway show they bought that song, so it wasn't added on. It's just that the other songs from the show were dropped.

Maybe you're thinking of a different song?

Princess - I was thinking of "The Continental" which seemed to me to be added to the movie. Thanks for the info. I'm always impressed by your vast knowledge of musicals, which, by the way have always been my favorite....especially on stage. I still get goose bumps just listening to the overtures of the stage musicals I've been fortunate to have seen.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

 Falling In Love With Love sung by Andy Williams-- and in the movie , The Boys from Syracuse by Allan Jones

 

Next: A song Fred Astaire performs, which was not specifically written for him

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess,

Is it "By Myself" which Fred often sings and was in "The Bandwagon" but was originally written by Arthur Schwartz and Howard Dietz for their 1937 show "Between the Devil" and sung by Jack Buchanan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MarshaKatz said:

lavenderblue, Shakin' The Blues Away by Irving Berlin is a good answer, but I was specifically asking for a Cole Porter song added to a Fred & Ginger movie because it's Cole Porter.

 

15 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

( Marsha, I have the "Robin Hood" DVD where you can turn off the dialogue and just listen to the music and look at the screen. " Robin Hood" really works as a silent movie, believe it or not, even without the closed captioning.)

 

" Tea for Two" by Vincent Youmans and Irving Caesar from No No Nanette is the top soft shoe number.

 

Next: A song that is a perfect for a rhythmic rousing tap number. ( aside from " I Got Rhythm ")

Marsha, I was responding to "a song that is a perfect for a rhythmic rousing tap number" you answered it about the same time I did, so your answer posted first. I was NOT responding to the Cole Porter post! Go up to find that post and you'll understand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marsha said: "Princess - I was thinking of "The Continental" which seemed to me to be added to the movie."

Let's clarify this again. It's not about guessing what the first poster (in this case Marsha) is thinking of.  It's any film that the responder thinks of. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Let's clarify this again. It's not about guessing what the first poster (in this case Marsha) is thinking of.  It's any film that the responder thinks of. 

yeah..the problem is that the posters have begun looking for one particular song..which really should be on the 'musicals' thread, right?  'first song that comes to mind' seems to infer that there are several that fit, but the first you thought of..I always thought the fun of it was that posters come up with all sorts of 'first thoughts'..same in 'first film' category, and that keeps the thread moving ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, this thread along with The First Film That Comes To Mind is NOT like some of the other trivia threads where there is only 1 correct answer. Both of these threads were meant to just be "the first that comes to mind", not judgement that the posted response is right or wrong. Of course a response that has nothing to do with the  song or film is ridiculous but turning both threads into something they're not meant to be takes the fun out of it. After the response is given, the next posed response should also not be so specific that there's only one possible answer.You're correct Shutoo, the first song or film that comes to mind is what keeps the thread moving quickly and that's what both threads were created for. These threads were not  meant to be like the General Trivia, or trivia type of threads

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us